Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #31  
This thread reminds me of the time, in the '60s, when my uncle took his new Ford into the dealership for an oil change. They carefully added 5 quarts, but forgot to drain out the old oil. Needless to say, it didn't run very well when he attempted to leave, and never again did they "change" his oil.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #32  
This thread reminds me of the time, in the '60s, when my uncle took his new Ford into the dealership for an oil change. They carefully added 5 quarts, but forgot to drain out the old oil. Needless to say, it didn't run very well when he attempted to leave, and never again did they "change" his oil.

Well, by my way of reasoning they didn't really "change" his oil if they didn't drain the old stuff. Back about 1977 I had a co-worker who purchased a used VW bug and our boss was always giving the guy lot of s*** about his "furrin car"....and then one day my co worker decided to change his oil and after he drained the old oil out he forgot to reinstall the drain plug...and of course he never checked the oil level after he put in the new oil. Our boss never let him live that one down.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #33  
I was surprised by the oil flow, but also surprised on this tractor that the engine oil change interval is 500 hours. Sure, it holds three gallons of oil, but I would have expected it to be 300 hours instead of 500. I guess the low rpm engine and big filter go a long way to keep oil working and its detergent keeping contaminants suspended. That darn oil sure was dirty, darker than any diesel oil I've ever seen. I change the oil in my Cummins diesel in my pickup every 6000 miles. That equates to about 200 hours if you consider my average speed day-to-day is 30 mph. I've been told I could go as high as 12k to 14k miles by a fellow who had his oil tested, but I just start feeling really bad at 6,000 miles. It sure does not make sense on a 3 gallon system to change it every 3,000 miles. The oil change guys would love you.:)

That really seems like a long time on hours... our 125 HP Iveco's get changed at 250 hours intervals..

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #34  
This:

612660_front200.jpg

Not This:

11838%2015%20Quart%20Oil%20Drain.jpg

That little hole in the middle and flat top almost guarantees that you will end up with a spill.

YES! Mine is black.... old school... lol

Ever noticed how all these new fangled safety spill protection devices cause more spills than they prevent?

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #35  
You can also cut the top out of the black one to make it look like the yellow one.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #36  
That really seems like a long time on hours... our 125 HP Iveco's get changed at 250 hours intervals..

Things have changed with the newer synthetic engines oils. Based on usage and not time intervals, John Deere now recommends 500 hours with their synthetic oils, their filters and modern fuel in engines with larger oil capacities. I think they still have time limits, however. Synthetic oils are changing everything and I can imagine a time when oil might not even be a service issue--maybe just change the filter. Nearly everything I own is now synthetic and I have vastly expanded oil change intervals, saving money and time.
So maybe those "oil change" cement mixing tubs--I have four-- from HD will go begging at yard sales.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #37  
Things have changed with the newer synthetic engines oils. Based on usage and not time intervals, John Deere now recommends 500 hours with their synthetic oils, their filters and modern fuel in engines with larger oil capacities. I think they still have time limits, however. Synthetic oils are changing everything and I can imagine a time when oil might not even be a service issue--maybe just change the filter. Nearly everything I own is now synthetic and I have vastly expanded oil change intervals, saving money and time.
So maybe those "oil change" cement mixing tubs--I have four-- from HD will go begging at yard sales.

Don't laugh but I use four of those mixing tubs as cat litter boxes, you will never find a better one that holds more litter....:laughing:

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #38  
big cats :)

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #39  
Was about to do an oil change on my New Holland LB75B backhoe to put in a lighter vicosity oil for Winter, but first wanted to know where or how to fill it with oil. Looked all over the engine, went to the repair and maintenance manual and cannot find anything that mentions how or where to refill the engine. I know it takes 3.7 gals and the correct type oil. So needless to say I backed off and am trying to find out how to put new oil in the engine. I have several other diesel engine machines (Yanmar, Komatsu) and have not run into this problem before. Looking for some direction and advice. Thanks.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #40  
dose it have a plug / cap at the timing cover? what about the top of the valve cover.

it's newer than I own.. but those are 2 common spots for older fords...