Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build
There's a cold front coming in today and will last through early next week. You may be blocking some north and west side doors/windows to keep out the snow drifts. I hear on the weather that you could get up to 2" of snow.:(

It has gotten cold but no snow. We are almost there. We are scheduled to pour on Friday the 10th of December. We should be close to or above 60 degrees and will stay above freezing. We will rent a boom pump truck for approximately $600 and the Pour and finish is 28x28=784x4.5=3528x.5=$1764

Last edited:
We are going through our check list of things that must be done before the pour. I had the pump truck people visit to develop a plan. Tomorrow the concrete finishing company will laser mark the slab elevation on the walls and any pipes or other objects coming out of the floor. The high temperature for Friday has fallen to 54 degrees but the overnight has held steady at 43 degrees. We will begin the pour on Friday morning at 8:00AM. We plan on coming through the windows on both sides on the two bedroom modules and I will remove the dome window so the pumper truck can send the concrete through the roof to the kitchen and great room. The garage will just come through the doors. Because of the low temperatures, relative in door pour and the vapor barrier the curing will be slowed so we will use a 5000 PSI mix with hot water to help. The picture is of our two test manifolds for the PEX tubing.

Last edited:
The pour went great! No damage to PEX and the system held pressure. We started pumping at 8:00am and finished pouring 60 yards by 12:30PM. We used the 5000 PSI with hot water. Our Finishing crew was here until 7:30PM. They went over the surface several times to make it super smooth. I began some site cleanup today and took a break in the afternoon. I believe we have completed the most difficult work and rest is just small stuff. Please don't ruin my illusion, it keeps me going. Enjoy the pics.

Last edited:
   / Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #515  
Congrats, I have been following this build for a while and its amazed me how much you have done. Once again, congrats.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #516  
It looks warmer over your way than it is in the sunny south :) A very nice job, and one you can be proud of...Tony

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #518  
Sam, not only do I congratulate you, but I hope you will tell your family how much we have come to appreciate their hard work and dedication. They have all sure earned my highest respect. Well done to you all!

Thanks for all your support! I am so very lucky to have such support and dedication from my wife Wendy and my Sons Travis and Kyle.

/ Terra-Dome Earth Shelter Build #520  
Sam, it looks great, but the wife looks like she is done with this little project of yours ;-)