Neighbor removed my property line pin

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin
Here is an article about reference points (different than property line pins like yours): AmeriSurv.com - $250 Fine or Imprisonment for Disturbing This Mark

Aaron Z
thanks aczlan...some good info there and I'll digest it more later, it's getting late and I have to work tomorrow
I noticed it's written by a licensed surveyor from Nebraska though. I'm sure my surveyor can comment more about what if any violation was committed. The more knowledge I have about this matter the better prepared I'll be

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin
And probbaly moved the pins by enough that the next survey wont "close"
If the surveyor I interned with had run across that, the crew would have been saying bad things about you all the way back to the office as they would have had to find the next set of pins over if the pins were off...

Aaron Z
Ya know...that makes sense and agrees with what my surveyor was trying to say.
guess I'll have to reconsider that option as much as I thought it would be ok

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #263  
county seat?
excuse my ignorance but where would I look?
I would think the town hall where all records pertaining to property etc are kept would be the place, but they have no record of it being done.

I'll ask the surveyor about it when i speak to her this week. Xmas will likely delay this until at least Wednesday. I do plan on calling tomorrow just in case she's working.

I live in Preble County Ohio. The county seat is in Eaton, Ohio. I also live one mile from Union County, Indiana. The county seat of Union County, Indiana is in Liberty, Indiana. I may be the ignorant one here. We don't have town halls in this area.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #264  
Might be able to dig a 6" hole where the pin will go and fill it with packed dry concrete, then have her put the pin in till its flush with the concrete mix. Then it wont move and the pin will stay right where she puts it.

Aaron Z

Prob not since some of the concrete will be on other guys property. Only thing I have seen is another post inside the corner formed by the post and line. Ask the surveyor what to do and her putting the concrete in might be worth it. Most survey things in New England are recorded. My stuff was and the surveyor also gave me an updated deed description--that I recorded via a new deed from myself to myself--and also placed in my property "abstract". That's the pile of papers that shows the property and every transaction from day one. Interesting note, my Maine property abstract had a copy of the paperworksigned by John Adams (the one and only) when Maine split from Mass.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #265  
Ya know...that makes sense and agrees with what my surveyor was trying to say.
guess I'll have to reconsider that option as much as I thought it would be ok
I personally would put the PVC 6" inside the pin if you were to go that route. That is close enough for what you are trying to do and shouldnt disturb the pin.

Aaron Z

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #267  
why not sink a tpost in a trainagle form so its exactly 1 ft from set pin on inside of your property. once rtpost is sunk in ground, you could weld "supporting bars" from t post to property pin. There is no way of disturbing the property pin, the t post is well on your property. With everything welded in place - lets see your neighbor try to remove that! Just have a signed document and recorded in town of the survey and pictures taken. If your neighbor cuts it off - you have a clear cut case with pics. (by the way - be sure you put a game camera in your trees watching your pin. It would help your case)

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #268  
county seat?
excuse my ignorance but where would I look?
I would think the town hall where all records pertaining to property etc are kept would be the place, but they have no record of it being done.

I'll ask the surveyor about it when i speak to her this week. Xmas will likely delay this until at least Wednesday. I do plan on calling tomorrow just in case she's working.

You need to go to your County Courthouse and see the Register of Deeds. Bring along you information such as Section, Range, and Township and if your Subdivision is named. That is where the legal documents reside.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #269  
It is illegal in Michigan to move a property marker of any sort. Even worse if it is the survey pin with i.d on it. I had this happen to me on a property I bought next to my property. Once surveyed I had my perperty markers moved twice. I put one down under the surface, measured from 2 or 3 refrence points and recorded it so I could find it. I then met the owner next door and told him to be careful that kids were moving property markers and he should check his. I also told him that for both of our security I recorded the markers and have them on file with the township office and recorded the incident to the sheriff to have a record of the vandalism. Surprise that was 6 years ago and everything is just where I left it.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #270  
TCBoomer,

You need to find out the CT law. In NC, it is a misdemeanor to move/disturb a survey marker but that ain't CT. :laughing: Your surveyor should know if there is such a law in CT and what chapter it resides. It is one thing to know the law exists and another thing to prove the neighbor removed the pin. Your surveyor should know the law in CT.

I personally would not touch the survey marker including pounding it further in the ground or pouring concrete around said pin since that is disturbing the pin. Not that I think that is a criminal disturbance, but if the issue ever went to court, and I was asked if I had touched the pin, my goose is cooked. I would have to answer yes and then hope my explanation is believable. A believable explanation might still allow doubt. I don't touch property pins other than to tie flagging or paint them.

Me thinks the neighbor is absolutely trying to push your buttons and get under your skin. My advice is to realize that is his intention and not let him get to you.

Later,
Dan