which portable generators do people have

/ which portable generators do people have #491  
they have gotten very aggressive cutting tree's here. almost every 2 years they are out cutting anything even close to the power lines. haven't had a storm related incident since.

/ which portable generators do people have #492  
i saw one old cabin here last November where the meter socket was attached to a tree in the 30s some time and then strung up to a glass knob and dropped to the house. as the tree grew the meter went higher and higher..... it must be 12' in the air. not sure why power company left it there. they remote read meters so probably could care less. the new owner wants a complete rewire of house.

/ which portable generators do people have #493  
Well my 7K gas house generator just finished a 30 hour workout. My first extended outage since I moved to this house. I was going to switch the house over to my farm 3K diesel Yanmar which I never have done before to save fuel. However, it has a 20 Amp 3 prong (one flat prong horizontal, one flat prong vertical and then a ground) outlet rather than the 4 prong 30A my other generator has. I do not know if there is a simple adapter or not. A few things I noticed:

-Microwave worked but sounded different. Almost a slow cycling sound.
-Comcast stayed operating for TV, internet and land line.
-Whoever figured out which circuits need emergency power did a good job.
-With the wood insert running the house stayed comfortable, outside temp around 30

Is this what you are looking for? Not cheap but available. AC Connectors ADL53L143 Plug adapter L5-3P to L14-3R(Hots Bridged) 3Amp 125Volt to 3Amp 125/25Volt - - Amazon.com

/ which portable generators do people have #494  
Well my 7K gas house generator just finished a 30 hour workout. My first extended outage since I moved to this house. I was going to switch the house over to my farm 3K diesel Yanmar which I never have done before to save fuel. However, it has a 20 Amp 3 prong (one flat prong horizontal, one flat prong vertical and then a ground) outlet rather than the 4 prong 30A my other generator has. I do not know if there is a simple adapter or not. A few things I noticed:

-Microwave worked but sounded different. Almost a slow cycling sound.
-Comcast stayed operating for TV, internet and land line.
-Whoever figured out which circuits need emergency power did a good job.
-With the wood insert running the house stayed comfortable, outside temp around 30

If things didn't sound the same the voltage could be off a bit most likely the hertz, Kill-A-Watt makes some nice inexpensive plug in meters and power strips to monitor volts and hertz and amps.
I have a power strip of there's and it also has a load monitor which is handy.

/ which portable generators do people have #496  
i saw one old cabin here last November where the meter socket was attached to a tree in the 30s some time and then strung up to a glass knob and dropped to the house. as the tree grew the meter went higher and higher..... it must be 12' in the air. not sure why power company left it there. they remote read meters so probably could care less. the new owner wants a complete rewire of house.

It's one of those jobs I most likely will have to tackle one day...

Home is in California... Service is two 30amp cartridge fuses.

/ which portable generators do people have #497  
Last edited:
   / which portable generators do people have #498  
   / which portable generators do people have #499  
Any of you fellers tried out the military gensets? There are a few of us on here that have those beasts. Just amazing what you can get from Uncle Sam....I would highly encourage to look at them before they are all gone! They are the best kept secrete out there in my opinion. I have one with 33 hours on it. Diesel, quiet, will run both my heat pumps at same time. Just a thing of beauty.

/ which portable generators do people have #500  
Any of you fellers tried out the military gensets? There are a few of us on here that have those beasts. Just amazing what you can get from Uncle Sam....I would highly encourage to look at them before they are all gone! They are the best kept secrete out there in my opinion. I have one with 33 hours on it. Diesel, quiet, will run both my heat pumps at same time. Just a thing of beauty.

Pictures? There is a lot of military in my area but I have not looked into picking up surplus equipment. Sounds like I should.