$136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES???

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #41  
Insurance companies raise premiums at every opportunity and use all available excuses. That was going on long before we even knew the name *****, and continues today.

Except now the IRS will penalize a person for not having insurance...

As I mentioned previously... we didn't have insurance and did OK... we paid our bills and knew exactly how much we were going to be charged at the time of service.

Government regulations took the free market out of Health Insurance...

Why should I have to buy a policy covering labor and delivery if I can't get pregnant?

Why do I have to be put in a pool with smokers if I don't smoke?

What other business in America is required by law to see and treat anyone coming through the ER doors without regards to reimbursement?

This one regulation alone is responsible for the closing of many Emergency Rooms and Trauma Centers.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #42  
Insurance companies raise premiums at every opportunity and use all available excuses. That was going on long before we even knew the name *****, and continues today.

I have to agree with you on this one, grease.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #43  
Except now the IRS will penalize a person for not having insurance...

As I mentioned previously... we didn't have insurance and did OK... we paid our bills and knew exactly how much we were going to be charged at the time of service.

Government regulations took the free market out of Health Insurance...

Why should I have to buy a policy covering labor and delivery if I can't get pregnant?

Why do I have to be put in a pool with smokers if I don't smoke?

What other business in America is required by law to see and treat anyone coming through the ER doors without regards to reimbursement?

This one regulation alone is responsible for the closing of many Emergency Rooms and Trauma Centers.

Why do I have to pay property taxes for the schools, when I have no children? It isn't just health insurance that is very unfair in taking your money.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #44  
...What other business in America is required by law to see and treat anyone coming through the ER doors without regards to reimbursement? This one regulation alone is responsible for the closing of many Emergency Rooms and Trauma Centers.

That has been a growing problem since the '60's. But healthcare has vastly improved since then, hence is more expensive. Then you add to the mix the fact that the brilliant bottom-line oriented insurance companies decided to no longer insure anyone with a pre-existing condition. So anyone with a known need for medical attention was out of the pool, leaving more premiums as profit. Happened sometime in the '70's if I recall correctly.

There is no singular cause of the problem, and no easy answers. If going back to the level of healthcare available in the '60's just to be able to pay the physician on a payment plan is the answer, I believe you can find that level of sevice in several Latin American countries.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #45  
Why do I have to pay property taxes for the schools, when I have no children? It isn't just health insurance that is very unfair in taking your money.

That's easy...

Property taxes are property dependant and very greatly... no one mandates I own property or must live in a high property tax district.

and... there are specific exemptions in some States to avoid school property taxes as I know in Washington State for property designated as 55 and older...

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #46  

Can't answer your question, but I can tell you that if I could make a living down there and the taxes were lower, I would be living in Texas. (Wife's preference, I would have no say in the matter.)

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #47  
That has been a growing problem since the '60's. But health care has vastly improved since then, hence is more expensive. Then you add to the mix the fact that the brilliant bottom-line oriented insurance companies decided to no longer insure anyone with a pre-existing condition. So anyone with a known need for medical attention was out of the pool, leaving more premiums as profit. Happened sometime in the '70's if I recall correctly.

There is no singular cause of the problem, and no easy answers. If going back to the level of health care available in the '60's just to be able to pay the physician on a payment plan is the answer, I believe you can find that level of service in several Latin American countries.

Funny you mention this... a young lady I know is doing just this... she is a US citizen and manages a Doctors back office... he does not offer Dental and she has needed several crowns.

Price her American Dentist charges for a root canal and crown averages $3,300

She has had three done in her home country $450 each and her American Dentist said the work is first rate... she said the Dentist that did the work has the best reputation with lots of foreigner for patients... Costa Rica

When I worked in Austria I noticed some of my co-workers going to Germany for dental work and asked why... I learned Austria healthcare system will pay for filling, extraction and one set of dentures... by gong to Germany they cash pay and have unlimited options...

Germans do the same by going to Austria...

You see, under each country's Health System what can and cannot be done is explicitly spelled out... EVEN if the the patient is willing to pay extra.

Both countries allow Doctors to treat foreigners without restrictions...

We maybe heading for the same and going to Canada or somewhere else to seek medical treatments...

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #48  
I know people who travel to the Far East for medical treatment, and swear the total cost, including the vacation costs, is less. I'm not comfortable with the idea of being in a hospital where my communication may be impaired. It's hard enough here.

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #49  
I know people who travel to the Far East for medical treatment, and swear the total cost, including the vacation costs, is less. I'm not comfortable with the idea of being in a hospital where my communication may be impaired. It's hard enough here.

In my example the person was born in Costa Rica and has lots of family there... language is no problemo...

/ $136,000 PER YEAR AVERAGE SALARIES??? #50  
A lot of hospitals have to take in patients with no inurance and no way to pay. Then they are forced to raise prices on their services to stay in business. Somehow we needed to expand the pool of insured patients. I hope the ACA makes a difference. On nurses pay I say they deserve a lot. I appreciated the nursing care I received during my stays in the hospital. I hope they are paid very well because they have a tough job.