16K trailer

/ 16K trailer #11  
Triples are garbage. Unless you like buying tires every year.

/ 16K trailer #12  
You'll be over the 26K magic number. Do you have your class A?

Another reason to have a smaller trailer. Keep the GCWR below 26K or you will need a Class A CDL. Along with that there is this little issue. Both of these little tidbits of info were excerpted from the IL Sec of State website.

"Class A Combination of vehicles with a GCWR* of 26,001 or more pounds, providing the GVWR of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

"In general, drivers of commercial motor vehicles that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in excess of 10,001 pounds and who are driving in commerce within the United States, Canada and Mexico must obtain medical certification from a Medical Examiner. Currently, a Medical Examiner is a person who is licensed, certified and/or registered in accordance with applicable State laws and regulations to perform physical examinations. The term includes but is not limited to doctors of medicine, doctors of osteopathy, physician assistants, advanced practice nurses and doctors of chiropractic. "

Some states are really cracking down on people pulling a gooseneck trailer. They aren't as invisible as they used to be. As mentioned earlier, smaller is sometimes better. I believe in over capacity but not when it comes to this.
Triples versus tandems??? Tire wear will depend on how you drive them and maintain them. There is more to it then just the number of axles. Axle alignments are needed to keep them running true and then don't abuse them by dragging them. We have all had to do a 90 degree turn on occasion but don't do that as a habit. Even minor wear in suspension components will cause dramatic wear in trailer tires. Maintain them and keep them inflated and aligned. It also makes a difference in fuel mileage.

Last edited:
   / 16K trailer #13  
Triples are garbage. Unless you like buying tires every year.

Really? We have 3 now in my family. Tow all the time and tires wear no quicker than a tandem.

Have maybe 30 Tri Axles at my marina with upto 24,000# GVWR and no issues. But what do I know, I only have 50,000 miles with tri axle trailers behind me.

Chris

/ 16K trailer #14  
Really? We have 3 now in my family. Tow all the time and tires wear no quicker than a tandem.

Have maybe 30 Tri Axles at my marina with upto 24,000# GVWR and no issues. But what do I know, I only have 50,000 miles with tri axle trailers behind me.

Chris

Is all this work between your 24/7 posting on here.

/ 16K trailer
I decided to go with the Tandem Dual. Getting alot more for my money. Not that I need this much trailer, or will ever need that much capacity, but I figure that the weight distribution is better, better brakes, etc, is just better. One could have a valid argument that if I don't need it, then why. I did want the powder coat paint of the Gator. That was a good trailer. The 16K 20 ft with 5 ft dovetail had a capacity of 11,300 if I recall. Not entirely enough... but close. I feel like I need 12,000 capacity. But what a nice trailer. Anyway, I have no reservations about my choice. Builder said we can "down state" it's capacity, meaning I can label it wherever I need to stay under 26,001 lbs. This does set a limit for me, which is not a problem... and restricts the potential of the trailer, but I get enough payload and a more than capable trailer. Now I need to understand GVWR so I know what lbs to request this trailer labeled at. I don't want to leave any capacity on the table. So.... can someone explain how to figure all this?

/ 16K trailer
Just checked, I thought I was higher than this... but registration says I am licensed for 20,000 lbs. I'm trying to get all the info so someone can tell me what I need to get in order to get the most from this trailer.... without going over the 26K. What other info do I need to provide?

/ 16K trailer #17  
It depends on your state's rules and how they interact with any adjacent states you may tow in. For example in my state WA the 26001 weight effects all vehicles whose GCVWR exceed 26K. However there are exceptions. If you fall under the exceptions you are ok; if not then you need a CDL.
Tow Vehicle rated weight plus trailer rated weight > 26K need CDL. If your combined rated weight is under 26K but you are stopped and weighed by the portables and are over 26K then you have a problem. Many rules are universal but there are exceptions that are unique to the states.

Here is my states flow diagram not applicable outside WA ---- check your own state.
cdl.jpg

The exceptions for us are: (your state will be likely similar, but still different, check the state website or better yet call them.)

By law, the following types of drivers don't need a commercial driver license (CDL):

Farmers transporting farm equipment, supplies, or products* to or from a farm in a farm vehicle are exempt if the vehicle is:
Operated by the farmer or a farm employee.
Not used in the operation of a common or contract motor carrier.
Used within 150 miles of the farm (in an air-mile radius).
If farmers meet all requirements of the farm exemption, they may operate farm-exempt vehicles between the states of Idaho and Oregon.
*Farm products include Christmas trees or wood products transported by vehicles weighing no more than 40,000 pounds licensed gross vehicle weight. This weight restriction applies only to Christmas trees and wood products.
Firefighters and law enforcement personnel are exempt when operating emergency equipment if they carry the certification card proving they have completed the Emergency Vehicle Accident Prevention Program (EVAP).
Recreational vehicle (RV) operators are exempt when driving an RV for non-commercial purposes. This exemption includes 2-axle rental trucks and horse trailers.
Military commercial drivers are exempt only when they are operating the proper military vehicle under a military license issued by their branch of the service.
Drivers of vehicles with air brakes that don't otherwise qualify as a commercial vehicle.

/ 16K trailer #18  

Chris

To be honest dp, in all the forums I have read on, you are the only person I have come across that recommends triaxle trailers and bumper pulls. They may work out for your particular situation but I hardly believe that it would work for everyone else. The Vast majority of trailers running down the road are tandem singles or tandem duals. Boat trailers and car trailers are the only ones I ever see with triples. I don't think we will ever agree on this though.

Op, add the GVWR of the truck + the GVWR of the trailer and together they need to be less than 26k. It sounds like you need a medical card since you are well over 17k though. You should be Able to death the trailer to make it work.

/ 16K trailer #19  
Triple axle dump trailers works well. Limitations yes but so does a dually tandem axle. Cost and tires are prohibitive or not available above 16K and the axles on a dual 16K are extremely expensive as well.

/ 16K trailer
Looking through my manual...GCWR is 24,500. Is this based on hitch capacity, suspension, or many factors???? My aftermarket Air lift rear suspension does not factor in any way does it?