16K trailer

/ 16K trailer #31  
The >26K CDL issue is real but some/most states have exceptions to the CDL requirement. Check your state for details but farm use is a common exception. Of course the definition of farm may not be what you would like. As an example I can run a no weight limit, other than axles rules, because of the farm exclusion. RV's are another common exception.

the other big exception is commerical as in CDL (from Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)

Commercial driver's license (CDL) means a license issued to an individual by a State or other jurisdiction of domicile, in accordance with the standards contained in this part, which authorizes the individual to operate a class of a commercial motor vehicle.

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—

(1) Has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or

(2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or

(3) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or

(4) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.

Now what the OP is doing and whether or not he is commercial, I do not know. Nor do I know his state specific rules

/ 16K trailer #32  
(from Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)

(1) Has a gross combination weight rating or gross combination weight of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater, inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds), whichever is greater; or

(2) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross vehicle weight of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more), whichever is greater; or

Just a question from a curios european here, are we talking normal car drivers license here without additional endorsements that allows you to drive a vehicle (or combination) up to almost 12 tons ?

/Marcus

/ 16K trailer #33  
a normal license here (Maryland) allows you to drive up to 26000 lbs. you need a DOT physical and med card to drive over 10000 lbs commercially. if you go over 26000 and are engaged in commerce (and do not meet one of the exemptions) you need a CDL license of the proper type. if you are over 26000 lbs and NOT engaged in commerce OR meet one of the exemptions you need the proper class of license (A, B, C), but it does not need to be a Commerical drivers license.

I cannot speak to rules in other states

/ 16K trailer #34  
Just a question from a curios european here, are we talking normal car drivers license here without additional endorsements that allows you to drive a vehicle (or combination) up to almost 12 tons ?

/Marcus

Well here 26,000 lbs equals 13 tons. And yes that's the rule.

/ 16K trailer #35  
the other big exception is commerical as in CDL (from Regulations Section | Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration)
Commercial driver's license (CDL) means a license issued to an individual by a State or other jurisdiction of domicile, in accordance with the standards contained in this part, which authorizes the individual to operate a class of a commercial motor vehicle.

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—
<snip>

Until I got the state to verify that my forestry operation was classified as farm operations (here in Washington), I tried to use the commercial language and the commerce language. The man in charge of CDL rules for the state told me that if you are a private individual over 26K that does not fit in with the exceptions then you are classified as commercial and commerce even if you are neither. When I stated that is not what commercial and commerce means I was told in this state (WA) you must have a CDL if over 26K unless the exceptions apply even if there is no commerce involved.

Each state seems to be different. Maybe this is one of those cases where a national standard that each state must meet but can not enhance/modify to be more restrictive would be a good thing. This discussion goes on here on TBN every couple of months and the one thing that is consistent is that there is no consistency from the posters as to what each state's rules are. Best thing is to verify in your state what the requirements are and do not take anything as gospel that is posted here because your state may be different.

/ 16K trailer #36  
Until I got the state to verify that my forestry operation was classified as farm operations (here in Washington), I tried to use the commercial language and the commerce language. The man in charge of CDL rules for the state told me that if you are a private individual over 26K that does not fit in with the exceptions then you are classified as commercial and commerce even if you are neither. When I stated that is not what commercial and commerce means I was told in this state (WA) you must have a CDL if over 26K unless the exceptions apply even if there is no commerce involved.

Each state seems to be different. Maybe this is one of those cases where a national standard that each state must meet but can not enhance/modify to be more restrictive would be a good thing. This discussion goes on here on TBN every couple of months and the one thing that is consistent is that there is no consistency from the posters as to what each state's rules are. Best thing is to verify in your state what the requirements are and do not take anything as gospel that is posted here because your state may be different.

you're absolutely right. ask your state for their rules (should also ask any state you travel through). my biggest issue with that is the DOT officers, the DMV have different answers as to what is and is not "legal." What I post was the Federal regs. I do know VA has a personal use exemption

page 5 http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv60.pdf

Commercial driver’s license requirements don’t apply to:

vehicles operated by persons only for personal use, such as recreational vehicles and rental moving vans

/ 16K trailer #37  
Make sure you look into the medical card requirements. Once you combo over 17k, you are required to carry one.