1946 farmall h will not start

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #1  

zp18

Tractor
1946 farmall H , John Deere 4200 , John Deere 445
i recently have purchased a 1946 farmall h. its still 6 volt and has electric start. it started and ran a little rough when i got it, it sounded like it was missing. one day as i went to start it i chocked it and gas started coming out the carb. so i stopped cranking it and when i went to start it again. it didnt crank at all. the starter button gets hot and thats it. i can hear the starter click, but it doesnt turn over at all. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #2  
Those carbs are super picky and will leak gas easily. I really never choke mine. As far as the starter what probably happened was that in trying to start it the starter pinion got wedged against the flywheel and it is bound up. Did you hold the button in a for an extended period it will get hot if this is happening. Do not continue to try to start it and hold the button when it does not turn it could cause the wires get hot and start a fire. Loosen the starter bolts and pull the starter back a bit and the pinion will often pop back, if not pull the starter and check to see if it is retracting properly

/ 1946 farmall h will not start
im new to all this antique stuff so i dont really know if i should or should not choke it. and no i only clicked it 2 or 3 times after that, cause 6 volt takes a few seconds before it even starts to crank .. so i thought maybe that was it. but it wasnt. and ok thank you sir. ill try that tomorrow an see how it goes. really appreciate it.

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #4  
It really should not take a few seconds to turn over after pushing the button. The starter may be on the way too. If the starter is on the way out it may be drawing too much and not turning and getting the button hot. Could be as simple as a dead battery too, but pulling enough to get the button hot, probably not. Check and clean all wires especially grounds also, Shiny clean tight connections. If it is above freezing I have NEVER had to choke my Farmall 200. If I do gas drips out the bottom of the carb. I would pull the starter and have it checked, especially if you do not hear the bendix clicking back if it was stuck

well, like, it takes a little bit longer than if it would be a 12v, you know what i mean. i think im just going to rewire the whole thing considering some of the wires the 'insulation' is all shredded. but ill pull the starter out like you said an see if that fixes it. if it doesnt ill take it out and have it looked at. and like i said, i just got her.... so i dont really know a whole lot about these old tractors yet. I really appreciate your help!

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #6  
I know what you mean by the slower turning. Take a look and post back. Farmall's do tend to bind up. Best thing about these tractors is they are pretty simple to work on

i will man. and yea , they aint like tractors today

i got it, i just loosened the bolts on the starter enough to pull it out about an inch or so, wiggled it around a little bit, and put it back it. i hopped on it and it cranked right over. granted i flooded it cuz it stalled and i didnt have the throttle pulled out at all. but atleast i know the starter aint shot. thanks man.

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #9  
You may also want to check the battery cables, for two different items. #1. Check both ends of both cables. Make sure you have good clean connections. #2. Make sure the cables are the correct gauge. If the originals are still not on it, and have been replaced with lighter gauge automotive type cables, get a set of no less that 1/0 cables. It will make a world of difference.

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #10  
Well., scratch #1 of the list... But case in point... My one Super C I inheirited from Dad had problems with the starter sticking. In fact, carried a bar in the tool box to turn the flywheel to unstick it, via a snap in inspection cover on the bell housing. It had the lighter gauge cables on it. Last Spring it needed a new battery, and the cables were getting shabby. I had a new set made at NAPA. All they had was 2/0 cable, so went ahead and got them, although pretty pricey. I've used it more this summer than it has been used in years, and the starter has not stuck once...