1946 farmall h will not start

/ 1946 farmall h will not start
i plan to go over the whole thing over winter, including rewiring, and hopefully give it a nice coat of paint in spring and put new decals on it. i also have to work on the lights. the rear light isnt mounted but i have it. its all rusty and full of dirt. and the front ones dont have the bulbs or lenses on them, but i have those. i have to wire up the lights too , they arent hooked up

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #22  
I have a keyed battery disconnect so I just remove the key to keep unwanted borrowers away. My luck I would forget to blip the lights. ;o). I have just never bothered to fix it. A $1.50 1n4001 diode would fix it too. Like ZP I am planning a rewire this winter I think. Installing a volt and temp gauge as well as new lights since I blew all the 6 volt ones when I did the conversion

if you have a working amp gauge you should notice it.

as for the bat disconnect being theft prevention. :)

that just keep sthe honest people away.

most antiques can be started with a paperclip or coat hanger as long as all the aprts are there... :)

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #23  
The only gauge that works is the oil pressure. Even if it does not start they will still take it. Last year someone stole 2 non running machines from the place next door. Literally towed them 15 miles to the scrap yard.

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #24  
yep. roll back takes them all.

we had a new JD stole from the site of our church ebing built a couple weekends ago.

someone just winched it up o a rollback or trailer and went..

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #25  
i recently have purchased a 1946 farmall h. its still 6 volt and has electric start. it started and ran a little rough when i got it, it sounded like it was missing. one day as i went to start it i chocked it and gas started coming out the carb. so i stopped cranking it and when i went to start it again. it didnt crank at all. the starter button gets hot and thats it. i can hear the starter click, but it doesnt turn over at all. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks

first go get a 8volt battery ,this will turn it over better. then make sure all battery connections are good and solid. if it still willnot start ,connect jumper cabels to starter post and ground. if not start get starter gone over to make sure it is in good order

first go get a 8volt battery ,this will turn it over better. then make sure all battery connections are good and solid. if it still willnot start ,connect jumper cabels to starter post and ground. if not start get starter gone over to make sure it is in good order

i got it going , thanks for the tip though man

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #27  

8v bats are horrible bandaid fixes.

6v gennies do not charge 8v bats unless you dink with the regulator, or you have a 3rd brush type genny.

that leaves you with a discharged 8v battery.. which is no better.. and even worse than a full charged 6v battery.

Ever go to a auto parts store and get an 8v charger?

best to fix the problems.. not bandaid them.

makes sense cuz theres only 6 and 12v gens. i gotta replace all my gauges, my water temp and ammeter arent working at all.

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #29  
in some applications you can get gensets that will charge an 8v properly. but they are few and far between adn require manual tweaking..

/ 1946 farmall h will not start #30  
The 6 volt systems work fine if you don't treat them like a 12 volt. I am working on my Super C and have learned a couple things

- They sell 6 volt positive ground electronic ignitions, big help
- The site yesterday's tractors has a couple troubleshooting and adjusting posts that are great
- the old generators lose the magnetic field, you need to re-polarize them on occasion if they sit for long periods, just loosen fan belt and jumper the correct terminal to the battery, it will run like a motor and be a whole new system.
- these old systems were designed to be fixed, in the 1950's no one would have bought a tractor you had to replace parts or goto the store every time an issue or problem came up
- they sell complete new and very nice wiring harnesses for all these tractors, try "Brinkman's" or look it up in red power. I put a couple pieces in my Super C, nice and with the original cloth covers

Enjoy your tractor, I really do mine. Nice to work on and no crawling over a fender into a engine compartment