1973 2030 general operating questions

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions
Ha small world!!! We live on Hwy 41 between Beechgrove exit 98 and and Buchanan exit 89, I think. Half mile south of Hoover's Gap community center. All of last year there was a sign on the road side for Arya Hammocks. If you saw that ever, that's us!

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #12  
Ha small world!!! We live on Hwy 41 between Beechgrove exit 98 and and Buchanan exit 89, I think. Half mile south of Hoover's Gap community center. All of last year there was a sign on the road side for Arya Hammocks. If you saw that ever, that's us!
Sorry, I don't remember seeing the sign, but I do remember Hoover's Gap Church.

Yeah that lil church is two driveways north of us. Nice little area.

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #14  
ltd
:welcome:
When looking in jdparts for info, noticed in the decal labels a not about order of engagement/disengagement for the PTO levers.
As seen in the attached image. Suggest you find a service tech manual for your 2030. May be well worth the investment.

Attachments

• 2030_decals_pto.jpg
    2030_decals_pto.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 80
   / 1973 2030 general operating questions #15  
limitedwave
Part of the confusion about the ign switch(AL19890) on your tractor is because your tractor was built for European sales not N. American sales. 2030's built for N. American sales utilizes ign switch(AR58126) plus 2030 built for N American sales didn't have fuse box on LH side of dash as shown in one of your photos.
HTH'sJim

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #16  
Thanks. Park is solved. Photo here of the key housing from back side. I still cannot affect the PTO so I知 assuming something is broken in this regard. I made a lil video just now to show. PTO test - YouTube

In your video, it looks like when you push the PTO lever forward, it does not stay, but flops back. Forward, PTO should operate.
The pedal you are pressing is the differential lock. It does not affect the PTO.

Missing is the mechanical lever my tractor has for the PTO. You can see where the shaft for the lever on your's has a plug (left side transmission case), and cast on the case is end view of PTO shaft with a guard over it, forward one has an arrow to show it's turning.
Your may be coupled at all times and NOT need this lever.

It looked like the lever between the shifters was not staying in the engage position. If that's not the problem, you could have a worn PTO clutch or broken hydraulic line for the PTO clutch.

Attachments

• 2030mechanicalPTOlever.gif
    2030mechanicalPTOlever.gif
    7.2 KB · Views: 56
   / 1973 2030 general operating questions #17  
As TxJim said, your 2030 is a Manheim built tractor built for European sales. The key switch is a combination ignition and light switch. The pto seems to be running all the time? Have you tried to attach anything to see if it runs under a load? I am guessing you may have a broken pto brake band or broken internal oil line for the brake that is allowing pto to turn when off due to the normal drag of oil in the clutch plates in the wet pto clutch. Apparently the European model did not have the left lever for shifting pto out of gear. There are test ports on the top of the shift cover where you can test pressure for pto clutch and brake. If both pressures are around 140 psi, then most likely the pto brake band is broken or worn out. Tractor needs to be split to replace it. If pto brake pressure is low, an internal line is probably broke, or the pto valve and/or lever may need repair.

Ok so quite possibly something costly is wrong in regards to the PTO and being able to control it. I can live with that possibly for a while, as I only bush hog fields and work a driveway. I'll put a guard in place of course. I'll put an overrunning clutch adaptor like I did with my last live PTO tractor, assuming it works as expected having a PTO always running isn't a showstopper unless this scenario would cause damage in some way.

Gotcha on the key thing. Makes sense. My classic slice of American tractor is European. Lolol.

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #19  
Yeah that lil church is two driveways north of us. Nice little area.
I know where you are then. Yes, a very nice area, but there are a lot of those in TN.

One of my favorite areas is just north of the Tennessee river bridge on US41 going into Chattanooga.

OK so from your input and your input on other threads too (go internet!) it seems like with my PTO I've learned:

1. PTO is possibly an Independent PTO due to the engage/disengage lever being between the shift levers. A few threads lead me to believe this while a few others leave me in doubt. Just a curiosity.

2. PTO should engage/disengage via center up/down lever. It does not seem to do this. Perhaps I should put a bush hog on it as next step to see how it performs under load.

3. I have no left foot PTO disengage. Only a diff lock lever, to my understanding.

4. It sounds like perhaps the PTO brake or clutch assembly is failing, which I can test for pressure somehow around the base of the shifters. I see two green bolts, two black bolts more towards the steering column. I would like to test this if I can figure out how. Between myself and my neighbor we have the tools to accomplish, I'm handy just not a mechanic and not much tractor experience.

Photo of what I see attached. I'd love to be able to test and determine the problem without hauling back to shop. FYI the shop didn't say a word except "it has a live PTO" but the number one requirement for me to take it off the lot was to be able to go home and start bush hogging. I guess I can, but kinda irritated.

Attachments

• 2030testpointsPTO.jpg
    2030testpointsPTO.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 110