1973 2030 general operating questions

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #21  
YES your tractor has hyd ind pto which is designed to be controlled by lever with yellow knob between gear shift levers. The 2 bolts that red arrows point to are not test ports. Those bolts hold pto control valve assembly on top of trans shift cover. Evidently the way the yellow knob lever moves easily back & forth in your video the detent springs in valve are broken or AWOL. I agree with jd110 that 2030 such as yours that were built for European sales didn't have PTO DISCONNECT lever on LH side of trans case.

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #22  
OK so from your input and your input on other threads too (go internet!) it seems like with my PTO I've learned:

1. PTO is possibly an Independent PTO due to the engage/disengage lever being between the shift levers. A few threads lead me to believe this while a few others leave me in doubt. Just a curiosity.

Yes, it IS an Independent PTO

2. PTO should engage/disengage via center up/down lever. It does not seem to do this. Perhaps I should put a bush hog on it as next step to see how it performs under load.

Correct, lever Forward, PTO engaged; ON. Lever rearward, PTO disengaged; OFF

3. I have no left foot PTO disengage. Only a diff lock lever, to my understanding.

Correct, Lever would be where you have a plug. Top of lever would correspond to symbols of PTO cast on transmission case. Foot pedal/lever is differential lock.

4. It sounds like perhaps the PTO brake or clutch assembly is failing, which I can test for pressure somehow around the base of the shifters. I see two green bolts, two black bolts more towards the steering column. I would like to test this if I can figure out how. Between myself and my neighbor we have the tools to accomplish, I'm handy just not a mechanic and not much tractor experience.

You need to remove the steel cover that has the shift pattern sticker on it to access the test port plugs. To the LSFT of the RIGHT shift lever (speeds 1-8) is a hex plug. This plug is for the PTO Clutch test port. FORWARD a couple of inches is the PTO Brake test port. Adapt two gauges, one to each port. You are looking for approx. 140-160psi for early models, 125-135psi for later models, at 2100rpm. When you move the lever, one port should go to zero, then the other port show pressure.

Another test you can do is apply compressed air to each test port. Tractor NOT RUNNING!! If either does not hold pressure, most likely cause is broken internal line or leaking clutch pack or brake apply piston.

Photo of what I see attached. I'd love to be able to test and determine the problem without hauling back to shop. FYI the shop didn't say a word except "it has a live PTO" but the number one requirement for me to take it off the lot was to be able to go home and start bush hogging. I guess I can, but kinda irritated.

My answers are with in your quoted post above

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #23  
Key 12, 13, & 14 are the dentent for the PTO lever. You should check that the ball has not been lost or the spring broken.

Attachments

• 2030indptoshifter121314.gif
    2030indptoshifter121314.gif
    24.2 KB · Views: 518
   / 1973 2030 general operating questions #24  
I bought a 40 series JD from 1981 also made in Mannheim, and the independent PTO worked but was slipping in heavy snow. Ended up splitting the tractor, found an internal hydraulic leak to the PTO clutch, needed new line as well as complete PTO clutch pack. This hydraulic line failure was a known issue with this series.

While in there, replaced some worn shift components, and it works like new now. The replacement hydraulic line has a different design to eliminate the bracket that was causing the wear on the line. You need to check your pressures as mentioned by others.

Last edited:
   / 1973 2030 general operating questions
Thanks so much! This info is priceless. So today I hooked up a bush hog and the PTO which had been turning continuously with nothing it, won’t turn the bush hog. I can’t get power to it. I bought the tractor from a dealer and they’re coming Thur to get it and make it right. I was pretty hard sell on this tractor cause I just Bush hog a few acres and keep after a driveway. As long as I could come home and get right to mowing no problem. No PTO power is kinda a deal breaker so I expect they’ll fix it. We’ll see!

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions #26  
Yes, they should make it right for you.. and suggest to them that, for all your trouble, lost time, and frustration, to put on a new seat for you after they get the bush hog working. ;)

/ 1973 2030 general operating questions
Ha! I don’t have that good luck. If they get the PTO working and I get to keep this sweet tractor I’ll be happy. I like it!