1984 1710

/ 1984 1710 #51  
Well like everybody else my plastic hydraulic ring was toast.

AD585F92-3CD2-4814-BABE-1C33BBB57BED-6636-000006F7A53173E8.jpg

The new rubber O-ring was a heck of a tight fit, I had to beat the piston into the cylinder. Once in there it slid pretty smoothly, so the new part number works.

The only major improvement I noticed was when I turned the tractor off the 3pt now stays up, it used to drop all the way down in less than 1 minute. I also noticed the draft control (speed regulator) might have more of a difference to it now. Overall it's still the same but I'm glad it's repaired now.

Anybody know of any other parts that need periodic replacing? And I just thought of a new question for my Ford brothers. I'm not sure of the name of the part but its the adjustable rod between the front tires (control arm maybe???). Anyways are y'all's straight or bent? Mine has several inches of bend in it and I'm thinking its bent. It's not hurting anything but I'm curious. Thanks guys

/ 1984 1710
I found a ROPS set with a canopy frame. The ROPS is factory equipment for my tractor. I had to drive a ways to pick it up but the price was dirt cheap and it paid off. Pictures coming soon.

I need to clean them up and paint before installing.
The canopy frame was a custom job but it is heavy gauge steel. I am feeling pretty lucky.
$60.00 can you believe it?

ROPS columns.jpgROPs base.jpgROPS brackets.jpgROPS header.jpgROPS Canopy.jpg

I used spray on oven cleaner, as an experiment, to clean them up. After letting it work a couple hours I hit it with the pressure washer. The next step is the wire wheel on the angle grinder followed by POR15 then top coat with Rustoleum paint.

Last edited:
   / 1984 1710 #53  
What a bargain! You made out! Now you have to change your signature.

/ 1984 1710
What a bargain! You made out! Now you have to change your signature.

ROPS (in progress) updated :thumbsup:

I spent more on gas just going to pick the stuff up.

Looking at the design I can say without a doubt that there is no way that I could have been able to weld up anything remotely adequate in comparison.

What I found out that I thought was interesting is there is a round slot about 1 inch in the rear axle made for the ROPS base bracket (with a corresponding lug) to fit into. I guess it could offer some additional benefit in securing the support bracket. It seems as though it is more of an aid during the assembly process.

Last edited:
   / 1984 1710
Can anyone think a a good reason not to install a radiator type fan in the canopy for down draft ventilation?

I figure since they are designed for 12 volts and a thin design I would be able to mount one up in the top of my ROPS canopy.
I got the idea from looking at the expensive items made to meet that specific task. It looks like something that I could do.

/ 1984 1710 #56  
A lot of air and how are you going to cage it?

/ 1984 1710
I need to clean them up and paint before installing.
The canopy frame was a custom job but it is heavy gauge steel. I am feeling pretty lucky.
$60.00 can you believe it?

View attachment 328672View attachment 328673View attachment 328674View attachment 328675View attachment 328676
With all the rain and heat here in Florida it has been taking much longer than I hoped but here is a preview for the latest work. I hope this weekend will be favorable for more progress.2013-08-01_09-16-12_282.jpg2013-08-01_09-16-28_462.JPG

/ 1984 1710
A lot of air and how are you going to cage it?
I am not sure yet. Aside from making it in the design used in the ones being manufactured and sold at $250 I will be trying to make it work. Some radiator fans are smaller than others. The one that I bought is only 16"x20" (not sure what the fan diameter is) and made for a Honda Accord.
It got high reviews on Amazon but they weren't using theirs for a tractor LOL.
I figure if it's good enough to keep a radiator cool then it might help send a breeze over my sweaty forehead.:sweatdrop:

I will be bolting it onto the steel canopy frame with at least one more cross-support.

/ 1984 1710
Update on my progress.
I have managed to complete my ROPS installation along with seat belt, canopy, fan, and lights (two front and one rear). I even managed to get a little seat time in today.
I discovered that my right brake is not functioning.
My original temp gauge Is working. I thought something was wrong with it because the needle stays on "Hot" when the switch if off.
Other improvements on the list are to put a sheet of expanded metal on the back side of the ROPS to protect me from rocks and such. A rear view mirror will help me keep me from turning my head all the time.
LED tail lights are on my wish list along with reflectors.
Horn is mounted but not hooked up yet.
Maintenance / float charger to keep the battery healthy.
Tail pipe extension to direct the exhaust pointed away from the operator.

/ 1984 1710
quickhitch.jpg

This is about it. Aside from making a few modifications here and there this is about as good as it is going to get.

I am going to need to build a shelter for it now because with the rops and canopy it won't fit inside any of my buildings. Tarps will have to do for now.