1984 1710

/ 1984 1710
I'm actually glad mine didn't come with ROPS. I completely respect the safety features it provides and my Kubota has them, but I do a bunch of my farming under cold frames (unheated greenhouses) and ROPS tend to catch the hoops. Was one of the reasons I looked into a second tractor.

I'm glad to see you taking the time to clean up the tractor properly. They are great machines but you need to care for them so they will last.

Ideally, I would like the folding ROPS for the same reason I don't want to run into any low hanging obstacles. I want to be safe and not a tractor roll over statistic.

On a side note; My FO-44 came in today.

Plus a question: My adjustment knob for the lift appears to be frozen. Frozen meaning that I cannot turn it with my hand in either direction.
Would it be out of the question to put a wrench on it "the knob" to see If I can break it loose?

Once I take off the head to replace the hydraulic seal I might gain some insight as to "why" it won't budge.
Aside from the lift arms dropping own their own the hydraulics seem to be fine.
The fluid that I drained was without any noticeable contamination or sediment. It was just a little "light brown."

Kent B

/ 1984 1710 #32  
Hmmm, I'm interested in the knob answer. I can't see why it'd be frozen? My 3 pt will drop real quick but my bucket will not drop (while turned off) at all, kinda wierd. I've never seen a tractor that the bucket wouldn't drop on while turned off.

/ 1984 1710
Hmmm, I'm interested in the knob answer. I can't see why it'd be frozen? My 3 pt will drop real quick but my bucket will not drop (while turned off) at all, kinda wierd. I've never seen a tractor that the bucket wouldn't drop on while turned off.
It turned for me after I lightly gripped it with some pliers. It was just a bit tighter than my bare-hand grip could manage.
It turns both ways freely now. (I must have gotten some "rust converter" on it)
I didn't get my correct seal in this week so I will hold off on taking apart the piston assembly until it comes in.
My lift is strong enough to lift the 5 ft. box blade with no problem. It will slowly drop on its own unfortunately. Pulsating too for whatever reason. I have not tested it since I changed all of the fluids and filters though.
I'll be working on cleaning up the wheels and getting them ready to repaint and mount new tires.
I am planning to use POR-15 on the rims then paint.
I watched a safety video about NEVER weld a rim with an inflated tire mounted on it. I don't think I would have ever tried that in the first place. I would have been too afraid of tire damage. After watching the video I can say that "tire damage" would have been the least of the issues. Looks like that could KILL a man.
I will add that to the "Never-To-Do" list along with cutting open a propane tank.

/ 1984 1710 #34  
Tractor data.com's info for the 3pt hitch is a little suspect bit well within the 5ft box blade territory.

It claims 3800# at lift point ends and 1575# 24" past the ends. That 3800 is what I think is suspect...would think for a tractor this size 1575# at the lift points would be close to the limit...maybe some info got jumbled there at some point.

/ 1984 1710 #35  
I looked in both books (owners manual & FO44) and no where is it listed at what the 3pt weight lift is. Odd, sure seems like it'd be spec'd.

/ 1984 1710 #36  
I believe the 3800 is probably close. Mine seems to handle a lot on the 3 pt. I am not sure what the weight I have lifted is but with the FEL on the front to keep it on the ground I can really make the rear tires squat.

/ 1984 1710
In a way I am happy to know that there is something to blame for the mediocre performance of my lift. The old seal, if you want to call it that, had no integrity whatsoever in its own composition. The only thing keeping it inside of the grove was the cylinder wall.
Once I make sure of the correct positioning of the replacement I will bless it and put it back together.
I don't recall seeing a picture of one so deteriorated.
Do I win a prize?
Thanks for all the helpful posts and photos.
Kent B.
hydraulic piston seal.jpg
crumbs.jpg
old and new seal.jpg

/ 1984 1710 #38  
That tells me your piston fits pretty well and once you get a real seal you should have great performance!

/ 1984 1710 #39  
Hey Kent, excuse my lack of knowledge for I haven't torn my tractor apart too much...yet. Is that piston & seal under the 3pt drop speed regulator or if not exactly where might it be? I'm sure mines never been changed, the guy I bought my tractor from wasn't one for doing maintainence.

/ 1984 1710
Hey Kent, excuse my lack of knowledge for I haven't torn my tractor apart too much...yet. Is that piston & seal under the 3pt drop speed regulator or if not exactly where might it be? I'm sure mines never been changed, the guy I bought my tractor from wasn't one for doing maintainence.

That is exactly where it is. There are six bolts holding it on 19mm wrench size. My replacement went flawlessly. It was very easy and quick. I have not fired up the tractor to test my work so keep your fingers crossed. I don't anticipate any problems with my work.
With the old seal on the piston it just slid out of the cylinder. With the new seal it is a tight fit as it should be.