1st time tractor buyer

/ 1st time tractor buyer #21  
If you have not sat on a Kubota L2501, I would recommend that as a great first tractor, not too big and heavy. You can still move it with a 1/2 ton pickup truck. Anything larger and you'll need 3/4 ton to a one ton truck to move it. Big is not always better. In the woods, small and nimble wins.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight are operated in residential applications on one to five fairly flat acres. These "residential tractors" fit in a typical garage.

Kubota L2501 = 2,623 pounds, bare tractor, with three range (3) HST and 4-WD.
One hundred cubic inch displacement, 25-horsepower engine; somewhat loud.

L2501 does not take a belly mower. If will take a Three Point Hitch mounted Finish Mower.

Likely will fit in your small garage.

I speculate L2501 was Kubota's hightest volume machine in USA during 2017.

Last edited:
   / 1st time tractor buyer
Thanks everyone for all the replies yesterday. Given me a lot to re-consider, and a lot of new things to look at. It definitely sounds like, to get something that will work best here, I'm going to have to up my budget a little bit, or get lucky and find a good deal on craigslist or the local paper. Spent some time last night looking at the L2501 online, and even found one in PA that looks like it might be a good deal. TractorHouse.com | 217 KUBOTA L251HST For Sale

I need to figure out what some comparable size models are from other brands (Massey, JD, etc), so when I have time to spend another day driving around and looking at dealers, I know what to be on the lookout for.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #25  
If you need to mow turf take that option off the list and seek out a used commercial mower for that task.

Many can be picked up for good price then some rehab to get in good working owner for private use.

Mowing turf is not really compatible with a tractor suitable for the other tasks you need.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #26  
I think a subcompact is way too small. I think at very minimum you need an L series or equivalent for ground clearance. 40 hp or bigger is more in line. And toss the MMM. They suck.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #27  
Thanks everyone for all the replies yesterday. Given me a lot to re-consider, and a lot of new things to look at. It definitely sounds like, to get something that will work best here, I'm going to have to up my budget a little bit, or get lucky and find a good deal on craigslist or the local paper. Spent some time last night looking at the L2501 online, and even found one in PA that looks like it might be a good deal. TractorHouse.com | 217 KUBOTA L251HST For Sale

Need to figure out what some comparable size models are from other brands (Massey, JD, etc), so when I have time to spend another day looking at dealers, I know what to look for.

Now that you know the L2501/HST weight, comparing tractor models across tractor brands should be easy.

Kubota L2501 = 2,623 pounds, bare tractor, with three range (3) HST and 4-WD.
One hundred cubic inch displacement, 25-horsepower engine.

You need a tractor with at least 3,500 pounds bare tractor weight. You really need 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #28  
IMO, toss the MMM and the backhoe to reduce costs and get a larger heavier tractor. Rent a mini excavator for digging tasks. Mow the lawn with a riding mower or zero turn. You're going to need a multi-machine approach to manage 120 acres.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #29  
IMO, toss the MMM and the backhoe to reduce costs and get a larger heavier tractor. Rent a mini excavator for digging tasks. Mow the lawn with a riding mower or zero turn. You're going to need a multi-machine approach to manage 120 acres.

"There's about 30 acres that I would call arable AND reasonably flat."

/ 1st time tractor buyer #30