1st time tractor buyer

/ 1st time tractor buyer #31  
Thanks everyone for all the replies yesterday. Given me a lot to re-consider, and a lot of new things to look at. It definitely sounds like, to get something that will work best here, I'm going to have to up my budget a little bit, or get lucky and find a good deal on craigslist or the local paper. Spent some time last night looking at the L2501 online, and even found one in PA that looks like it might be a good deal. TractorHouse.com | 217 KUBOTA L251HST For Sale

I need to figure out what some comparable size models are from other brands (Massey, JD, etc), so when I have time to spend another day driving around and looking at dealers, I know what to be on the lookout for.

You asked for advice, but you seem to be very successfully ignoring it!
Follow Jeff's advice, unless you really want to buy TWO tractors!
Buy a tractor in the 3500-4000 lb. range!
40 or more HP!
Do you understand that the Kubota L2501 that you seem to be fixated on, weighs only 2600 lbs. and is 25HP?

/ 1st time tractor buyer #32  
Of your knowledgable respondents, I believe 90%+ would prefer to buy a used Kubota Grand L in good shape over a new L2501.

In 32-horsepower to 60-horsepower, 3,500 pound to 4,200 pound tractors, Kubota Grand Ls are the Gold Standard.

(But an L2501 will probably fit in your garage. ROPS height will be critical dimension.)

/ 1st time tractor buyer #33  
You asked for advice, but you seem to be very successfully ignoring it!
...and you guys seem to ignore the first post where the OP said "...and would be <25k out the door?" Which company is giving away a 4000 pound tractor for 25k with a backhoe and FEL???

Do you even remember buying your FIRST tractor? He's easing into it... The fact that he's switched from a Sub-compact shows he's learning. That's why he's here...

Last edited:
   / 1st time tractor buyer #34  
TEG: See Post #10 and Post #23.

/ 1st time tractor buyer #35  
I also want to add that the cost of my tractor is roughly only 2/3rds of the cost of the "package"... Add in a mower, box blade, rear blade, grapple, Top N Tilt hydraulics, etc. etc.... If you buy a 3 or 4,000 lbs tractor, the price of the package is even higher. :2cents:

I fully believe that having a small tractor and a very large (maybe even older model) with a larger batwing is in his future... ) :drink:

/ 1st time tractor buyer #36  
Tomhanx, sorry for keep adding stuff... but you said you were a first time buyer and just wanted to let you know a couple things about tractor buying. If you've read this before, just skip it!!!!

A smaller tractor can do what a larger tractor does (for the most part) but it has to do it in smaller bites (read that as Slower) If you have the time, that's not a problem. If you have a business or are short on time... bigger is better.

Also, at least for kubota, there is the bare bones "economy" or Standard tractors (you can read that as cheap) but they also have "higher end" tractors called Grand L's they come at a cost... but it has nicer things about them.

You can get "more" tractor for the money if you go to another brand... resale might take a hit and there *might* be a chance of having problems (most tractors will have some issues!). I'll stop here but if you have more questions, fire away!

/ 1st time tractor buyer #37  
Of your knowledgable respondents, I believe 90%+ would prefer to buy a used Kubota Grand L in good shape over a new L2501.

In 32-horsepower to 60-horsepower, 3,500 pound to 4,200 pound tractors, Kubota Grand Ls are the Gold Standard.

(But an L2501 will probably fit in your garage. ROPS height will be critical dimension.)

EGads he's keeping respondent stats now! Jeff your a sick man you know that right? :D

/ 1st time tractor buyer #38  
...and you guys seem to ignore the first post where the OP said "...and would be <25k out the door?" Which company is giving away a 4000 pound tractor for 25k with a backhoe and FEL???

Do you even remember buying your FIRST tractor? He's easing into it... The fact that he's switched from a Sub-compact shows he's learning. That's why he's here...

Yup!
I sure do remember buying my first tractor!
It was a 1951 8N, and I bought it in 1971,(paid $800) it was 20 years old then,...and I STILL HAVE IT.
What the OP needs to learn is that he needs a proper sized tractor, but he certainly does NOT need a new tractor.
I bought a 16 year old 48HP Ford TLB in 1986 (paid $10,000 - had 1350 hrs.), and I still have that one.
That TLB is now freshly refurbished.
I also have a 1989 freshly refurbished 32HP Ford 1920 FEL (paid $9,500 - had 1050 hrs.), bought in 2013.
It appears that the OP has a champagne appetite, with a beer pocketbook, and is determined to buy .... NOT ENOUGH TRACTOR!

Last edited:
   / 1st time tractor buyer #39  
EGads he's keeping respondent stats now! Jeff your a sick man you know that right? :D

YOU might not appreciate the tone of Jeff's commentary, but......
Jeff's recommendation is 100% CORRECT !!!

/ 1st time tractor buyer
So... I'm not ignoring anyone's advice. I'm not fixated on any specific brand or model. Jeff had mentioned the L2501 in a couple of his posts, explicitly stating it would probably fit in my garage, so yes, I spent some time the other night looking at the model online. I am hesitant to look at some of these MUCH bigger tractors that are being suggested, because 25k really is my limit, and that NEEDS to include the implements mentioned earlier. I also never once said that I'm buying new. I said I'm going to make another trip to some dealers...to sit on different machines, and continue doing research, so I have a better idea of what to look for online for used listings.

Jeff, I appreciate your help and some of the knowledge you've shared.
Teg, I appreciate your posts from yesterday, sounds like you better understand where I'm coming from, and my apprehension towards these much bigger machines.

But I really don't appreciate the attitude from other posters here. I came here to learn, not be insulted. I'll be looking elsewhere for advice.