2 or 4 wheel drive

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #11  
17 HP is OK for all of your tasks except brush hogging. You're realistically limited to a 4' mower - which may work fine for you. Regardless, I'd stick with 4 wheel drive.
Mike

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive
I wouldnt be doing much brush hogging 1/2 to 1 acere is it,mostly cutting paths.My other thinking was if i run a tiller or disc for a small half acere food plot.Its main task are grass cutting between 2 to 3 aceres and plowing a 250 ft driveway with drifts at the end.I just got rid of a b2150 wich was a 24 hp, so my concern is the speed of what the 17 horse will cut.It used to take 1 and 1/2 hours with the a 5ft deck.The only reason i got rid of the 2150 is i wanted the open platform.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive
Oh and i was thinking why not just get the 2 wheel drive and get a 5ft 3 point snow blower.Anyone know how much a used one would cost or where to get it?And is there a problem using a snowblower on 2 wheel drive?

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #14  
   / 2 or 4 wheel drive #15  
For ground engaging work you weight and traction for mowing you need hp.
Bottom line you can mow slower to make up for lower hp. The same can not be said for traction. 4wd is important on compacts for traction.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #16  
Im in michigan.The reason i ask 2 or 4 wheel is i was looking at buying kubota b1700 for $5800 but i could get a massey 1220 for $4000.The kubota is 4x4 and the massey is not.The kubota is 17hp and the massey is 20hp both hydro trans.I went and test drove a b7300 wich is the same 17hp as the b1700 and when i was testing the mowing deck (60inch mmm) the tractor felt like it was bogging down.I have never had anything but 4x4 tractors and i have had 33 to 20 hp ones but nothing under 20.Im just worried that the 17 hp might under powered.Your thoughts?

You may indeed have felt the 17 hp bogged a bit dealing with tough grass, thick grass or damp grass under the 60" MMM. That is a rather large deck for a 17 hp. Estimating the PTO hp at 13. A 48" or even a 54" would have been a slightly better fit, perhaps, for that b1700, imho.

Here's the thing. It isn't nearly so much about gross hp as it is about properly matching things. A properly matched implement makes a joyful experience. Mismatching can occur at ANY hp. It just takes the joy out of things. I occasionally borrow an implement that is too big for my machine. I get by, but it just isn't easy and makes the job more difficult. Even if a smaller hp tractor may need a few more passes to complete the job with a smaller implement, still, in the end, it is a more efficient and enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
   / 2 or 4 wheel drive #18  
I couldn't even imagine having a 2WD for snow removal.

There certainly are a huge number of places where out back sits an old Fergie or Ford with back blade and is what folks use to plow snow. It's what they have. I would just prefer a modern tractor with power steering, 4wd and work off the front with full hydraulics control.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #19  
Don't know your terrain but my hillsides require 4wd. Ocassionally I put mine in 2wd crossing the yard but then when starting up the hill it starts spinning and it's back to 4wd. Also coming down the steep parts when in 2wd it's like a run away but in 4wd I never notice how steep the hill is because it holds itself back. Don't do snow so have no experience with that but to me I'd think 4wd would be required but don't know from experience.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #20  
With a diff lock and the loader removed there isn't THAT MUCH difference in traction between a 2 wd and 4wd tractor.
Those front wheels don't do a heck of a lot of pulling at tractor pulls once they're off the ground (-:
Diff lock and chains can probably get you through the snow plowing, though of course you will probably want the loader ON for moving accumulated snow.