2 or 4 wheel drive

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #21  
I wouldn't buy a tractor without the front wheel assist. Even though I often try things in 2wd I nearly as often find myself reaching for the lever for the front wheels to pull through. The other thing is going down hills in 2wd with a full bucket on the FEL, even with a pretty good counter weight on the 3pt it can be a little too exciting.:eek:. Put the front wheels in and drive down the hill with no drama. Even running the roto tiller in 2wd can be interesting, I had one experience tilling soil with a few roots in it, the tiller hooked a root, picked up the back of the tractor a little bit and away I went at tiller speed instead of the crawler gear I had engaged. That was with my first tractor, a B6200 15HP-11 PTO so a fairly light machine. In 4wd it was no problem though. Many, many times the driven front wheels can turn a problem into a non-issue.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #22  
With a diff lock and the loader removed there isn't THAT MUCH difference in traction between a 2 wd and 4wd tractor.
Those front wheels don't do a heck of a lot of pulling at tractor pulls once they're off the ground (-:
Diff lock and chains can probably get you through the snow plowing, though of course you will probably want the loader ON for moving accumulated snow.

I have to disagree, I have done many different tasks on my 3240 cab tractor and during each task I just wanted to see if 2wd would do as well as 4wd. On my tractor on anything "ground engaging" it is near hopeless, near useless without 4wd engaged. For my tractor it is night and day difference even without the loader installed. That being said, I would never own a 2wd tractor in anything less than 40hp, unless it was for strictly "non ground engageing" use.

I agree that in tractor pulls the front tires do little to none but in compact low horsepower tractors that are light weight there is no substitute for 4wd.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #23  
I bought a b1700d early this past spring...it was almost everything I was looking for other than a little more horsepower...

I compromised (on HP) because I didn't think I would find anything closer to what I was looking for within my budget...one of the main "must haves" for my purposes was a standard transmision...this tractor was 4WD and had a FEL...and was within my price range...it has proven to be almost perfect for my needs...

Granted I do not do any bush hogging or even mowing with this tractor I have found it to be very worthy... I've found that its limitations are more about its overall weight and size rather than horsepower but I larger overall machine would not have been practical for where I operate...

Good luck...PM me if you decide to go for the b1700...I don't see them mentioned very often...

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #24  
The consensus of the users here at TBN is fairly clear.

There is nothing wrong with an older B or older L with HP ratings in mid teens. Not a blessed thing. The smaller tractors just take a little longer, require an extra pass or two to get the job done, but will work well. Nothing wrong with going with a <20 hp tractor, especially with the benefits of 4wd.

There are literally 1000's and 1000's of guys working sub 20 hp tractors and perhaps 100's of 1000's world wide. It might be done a little slower, but it will get done.

Fit the right sized implement to it, forgetting the macho thing of over sized attachments, and go to work.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #25  
With a diff lock and the loader removed there isn't THAT MUCH difference in traction between a 2 wd and 4wd tractor.
Those front wheels don't do a heck of a lot of pulling at tractor pulls once they're off the ground (-:
Diff lock and chains can probably get you through the snow plowing, though of course you will probably want the loader ON for moving accumulated snow.
I to will have to totally disagree with this. I believe there is THAT MUCH difference between 2wd and 4wd tractors. I haven't used any of my nine Kubotas at tractor pulls so that may be where our difference of opinion is coming from.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #26  
Im in michigan.The reason i ask 2 or 4 wheel is i was looking at buying kubota b1700 for $5800 but i could get a massey 1220 for $4000.The kubota is 4x4 and the massey is not.The kubota is 17hp and the massey is 20hp both hydro trans.I went and test drove a b7300 wich is the same 17hp as the b1700 and when i was testing the mowing deck (60inch mmm) the tractor felt like it was bogging down.I have never had anything but 4x4 tractors and i have had 33 to 20 hp ones but nothing under 20.Im just worried that the 17 hp might under powered.Your thoughts?
My 18hp with 4WD doesn't seem to have any problems handeling my 44"tiller, 60"snowblower, or54"mower
And that's with turfs,with the ags it's even more of a beast
Regards
DGS

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive
The 5ft beck is what came with the tractor from kubota,so i would think its match right.Im leaning towards the b1700 4x4.I hope i dont spend hours cutting the grass that took 1 and 1/2 hours.:(Its hard to decide considering my first tractor was a 33hp 4x4 that was way over kill for my needs.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive #28  
1*is it better to have a smaller 20hp and under 4x4
or a bigger 20 and over 2 wheel drive? .
1* A smaller 20hp and under 4x4 .

2*I had a BX23 TLB with front snow blower and I have to say never spun tires even when I went off blacktop, only used 4 WD when I went across back field to make paths for the dogs. That tractor was only 23 HP and with the front blower snow clean up was a dream,
3*I can't say what it would do with plow because I never had one for it.DevilDog
2*My BX23 has plenty of Traction and Power.
The BX23 has no problem handling the 48'' FEl so a blade would be no different.
3*I have a 60'' blade that my 15 hp BX1500 handles excellent.
The BX1500 also has plenty of power and traction.

4*Back in our youth, all tractors were 2wd. They worked hard and well. Many of them are still on farm, field and estate working.
The tractor then was a manual. It also likely weighed in heavy, with its cast iron body, and heavy iron features. It has large rear tires that turn slowly and surely. They also "only" had 12-24 hp and almost always burnt gasoline.
If I had to choose between 20-24 hp on a 2wd or 18-20 hp on 4wd, there'd be no consternation in choosing whatsoever. Oh wait, I did just have that choice!!:D:D:D 5*No doubt 4wd.
4*But there's noo need for staying back in our youth / Thank God.
5*No other way to fly.

6*Im in michigan.The reason i ask 2 or 4 wheel is i was looking at buying kubota b1700 for $5800 but i could get a massey 1220 for $4000.The kubota is 4x4 and the massey is not.The kubota is 17hp and the massey is 20hp both hydro trans.I went and test drove a b7300 wich is the same 17hp as the b1700 and when i was testing the mowing deck (60inch mmm) the tractor felt like it was bogging down.I have never had anything but 4x4 tractors and i have had 33 to 20 hp ones but nothing under 20.Im just worried that the 17 hp might under powered.Your thoughts?
6*You have to get the power to the ground.

Last edited:
   / 2 or 4 wheel drive #29  
*Here's the thing. It isn't nearly so much about gross hp as it is about properly matching things. A properly matched implement makes a joyful experience. Mismatching can occur at ANY hp. It just takes the joy out of things. I occasionally borrow an implement that is too big for my machine. I get by, but it just isn't easy and makes the job more difficult. Even if a smaller hp tractor may need a few more passes to complete the job with a smaller implement, still, in the end, it is a more efficient and enjoyable experience.
Good point.

1*I couldn't even imagine having a 2WD for snow removal.
1*I've got a pretty good imagination but not that good.

2*With a diff lock and the loader removed there isn't THAT MUCH difference in traction between a 2 wd and 4wd tractor.
3*Those front wheels don't do a heck of a lot of pulling at tractor pulls once they're off the ground (-:
4*Diff lock and chains can probably get you through the snow plowing, though of course you will probably want the loader ON for moving accumulated snow.
2*Yeah there is especially when it comes to stopping and breaking power.
3*We're not talking about doing wheelies at tractor pulls.
4*But with 4x4 you probably won't need either one of them .

5*I wouldn't buy a tractor without the front wheel assist. The other thing is going down hills in 2wd with a full bucket on the FEL, even with a pretty good counter weight on the 3pt it can be a little too exciting.:eek:. Put the front wheels in and drive down the hill with no drama. Even running the roto tiller in 2wd can be interesting, I had one experience tilling soil with a few roots in it, the tiller hooked a root, picked up the back of the tractor a little bit and away I went at tiller speed instead of the crawler gear I had engaged. That was with my first tractor, a B6200 15HP-11 PTO so a fairly light machine. In 4wd it was no problem though. Many, many times the driven front wheels can turn a problem into a non-issue.
5* good testomony on why 4x4 is the way ta go.

I have to disagree, I have done many different tasks on my 3240 cab tractor and during each task I just wanted to see if 2wd would do as well as 4wd. On my tractor on anything "ground engaging" it is near hopeless, near useless without 4wd engaged. For my tractor it is night and day difference even without the loader installed. That being said,
6*I would never own a 2wd tractor in anything less than 40hp, unless it was for strictly "non ground engageing" use.
7* there is no substitute for 4wd.
6*No 2wd for me.
7*Rite on!

8* My 18hp with 4WD doesn't seem to have any problems handeling my 44"tiller, 60"snowblower, or54"mower
DGS
8* My 15hp with 4WD doesn't seem to have any problems handeling my 48"tiller, 60"front snow/dirt blade, or48"mower.

/ 2 or 4 wheel drive
OK i made up my mind.I just got back from looking at a ford 1215 4x4,hydro,5ft rear blade,4ft rear mowing deck that is potless not a scratch or wear mark on it.It only has 500 hrs and the guy is the original owner he is asking $5500 for it and would take $5300.I got to run it with the mower ran good and had good speed to it.From all the tractors i looked at this is about the same size and hp with the lowest hrs and by far in the best shape.Does anyone have any info or an opion on this tractor?