2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #11  
BTW, both of my walkbehinds were bought used, and are over 10 years old. My opinon is that it is worth to buy used, quality built machine, as they are strong built and will last long. After buying used equippment, I usually make inspection, and fix what is necessary for trouble free use.

Pic:Worm and tethwheels shape after 10y of use

Attachments

• 452681-untitled.JPG
    452681-untitled.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,649
   / 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #12  
I have owned several Gravelys. They are awesome machines. Indestructable. My current farm machine (pic attached) is a mid-seventys vintage "Commercial 10" with a 10HP Kohler engine. The basic design is identical to my 1948 model L. Two basic speed ranges plus a two speed axle gives 4 forward and 4 reverse speeds. I mostly use the 30in bushhog deck. It runs a 3/8" thick blade at very high rpm. Anything that can be fit under the deck is simply annihilated. Also have a 40" finish mower, saw blade, and am currently rebuilding an old 60" sickle bar mower for it.

Attachments

• 452713-Gravely and Gena.jpg
    452713-Gravely and Gena.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 6,135
   / 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #13  
A picture is truly worth a THOUSAND words, isn't it?

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #14  
Nice machine guys !

Here's a picture of the 8HP BCS with the 1-stage snowthrower attachment...

Dave...

Attachments

• 453009-IMG_0590a.JPG
    453009-IMG_0590a.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 2,160
   / 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #15  
Throwing snow pic...

Pretty good for a 1-stage blower...

Dave...

Attachments

• 453013-IMG_0603a.JPG
    453013-IMG_0603a.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,714
   / 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using
Dave_in_CT: Excellent, excellent review. That snow blower really blows the stuff! Hopefully this thread will offer a little "educational" value about this equipment to those with smaller properties that need a flexible, hardworking, "real" tractor at reasonable cost. Glad you suggested starting it. After reading threads debating over which glorified riding lawn mower (with maybe a couple of attachments) to buy, perhaps some will realize there are some real quality equipment out there for not much more money. Thanks very much.

Z3_HR: Appreciate your postings pictures & descriptions. Never heard of the Goldini brand, but that was the whole idea of this thread. Glad you did it. Interesting you are making your own (some implements). The pic of the gearing shows the solidity of this equipment. Many (not all of course) Americans have been trained to buy what is cheap and flashy, without any concern over longevity. That pic of the gearing shows whats in this type of equipment.

JRobyn: I have lots of old Gravely literature, implements available, etc., but I never saw the "option" in your pic that came with the Gravely you showed. I notice you have dualies too - they definitely add traction and stability since the wheels are only 8".

Thanks to all who have picked up on this thread. Hopefully more of you will post.

JEH

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #17  
Interesting thread JEH, thanks for starting it.

Makes me want to at least add one of these to my wish list... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Could have a use for a small chipper...hummmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Great input and pictures by everyone!

Henro:

<font color="blue">Interesting thread JEH, thanks for starting it. </font>

The credit goes to Dave_in_CT. He suggested it.

JEH

/ 2 Wheel Tractors - Buying & Using #19  
I bought my Gravely 6.6L about a year and a half ago - it is an amazing machine. Electric start and a remote engagement handle (options). I have a rotary plow, tiller, 48" blade, 30" rough cutting mower, a scary snow thrower with no guards, a circular saw blade for cutting down trees /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, and a rather rare leaf bagging attachment for the mower. I've found that some of the attachments work better than others - the rotary plow is fabulous for all sorts of jobs, but the tiller is pretty lame.

The 30" deck works farily well, but I have trouble with the slip clutch and then it stalls out the blade in tall grass. The proceedure for adjusting the slip clutch is pretty funny!

I used the snow blower to good effect the first winter I had it, but then we had 2B-modified stone put down in the drive, and it just ate it. It really needed a re-build anyway, so I parked it until I can work on it. I did use it to blow a path across grass and field to get the manure spreader through, and it worked great for that. I can't imagine using this blower without the remote clutch rod setup!

The 48" blade is excellent! I don't have duals (yet!), but with chains on the wheels that thing can really move some snow, and in tight quaters too. But you do have to be careful lest you snag a corner on something, as it can really toss you around, and those bars dont feel to good when they get jammed into your side!

I never tried the leaf catcher - it's a large and cumbersome looking rig, and well, I just don't do leaves! I'm never going to try the saw blade - it's just going to hang on the wall of the barn for ever.

A buddy of mine just "loaned" me a sickle bar for it too - I have not put it on yet, but it looks like it may work very well. I do need to get a dual wheel setup for it, as the old hard tires spin too easily without chains.

Gravely "Super Convertibles" are strange, eccentric, crude machines. Guards, safety, OSHA, liability - none of those things ever occured to the Gravely people! Frankly, they are dangerous devices, but boy do they work. You just have to keep your wits about you, and there is usually some spinning piece of sharp metal near by to remind you. There is no brake other than the forward/reverse lever. The optional electric start does not have any kind of charging system, but it works for quite a few starts.

Overall, I really like the thing - it looks cool, it sounds neat, and it really can do an awful lot of work. Just make sure everyone stands back before you start up the implement!

To20Chris:

<font color="blue">Guards, safety, OSHA, liability - none of those things ever occured to the Gravely people! </font>

This was built before OSHA - back when engineers designed stuff to work and last, before things were designed by lawyers. On your battery, be sure to drop a trickle charger on it regularly in the winter, keep it from freezing. I didn't have duals at first either, but they are worth having. I put new rubber on the 6.6L and traction was great with the duals. The older tires on the 7.6L were closer to "bald" and didn't grab as well. I didn't have the saw blade, but have seen them. It looks like it would go through a small diameter tree-I wouldn't worry about the exposed blade (just pay attention-don't let the kids play around it when running!!!), but which way the tree was going to fall!!! Don't know what the problem is with the 30" brush mower, mine worked great-it would chop up anything that fit under it. Do you get much smoke from the engine? The 6.6L is a very torquey engine. These were designed by Studebaker. Is your oil pressure ok? Should be about midway on guage. I also preferred pushing snow with the dozer blade over a larger tractor because of its maneuverability.

Glad you posted. If you keep it in good condition, bring everything up to specs, it will last your lifetime, unlike a lot of stuff made today.

JEH