2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #1  

Dirtrider357

Tractor
Mahindra 3616 Shuttle
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and also new to Mahindra tractors but I am a mechanic by trade and have worked on several Kubota, J/D, Massey tractors over time. My problem is with the 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle that I have. When I go to start it, it seems like there might be a dead spot in the starter motor but the local dealership said a new starter is up near $1000.00 and they've never seen one go bad. What happens is that it will intermittently click sometimes and I need to keep bumping the key to get it to finally start. At first I took the neutral safety switch (mounted on forward/reverse handle) completely out of the system and it seemed to work fine with the wires directly connected bypassing the switch. I bought a switch and replaced it... same problem. I have cleaned/checked the battery and terminals, checked/cleaned all my connections at the ignition switch, neutral safety switch, starter, etc. I have removed the starter and bench tested it and it tests perfect on the bench. Also if I disconnect the signal wire from the starter mounted solenoid and hook in a remote starter switch to the battery it works fine every time. I have checked voltage at the signal wire when the no crank/clicking occurs and I'm getting slightly below battery voltage and I am also getting voltage through the solenoid to the starter motor itself....

What has me stumped is that it works fine with a jumper wire or a remote starter button in place of the factory starter signal wire but when the signal is coming from the key through the neutral safety switch sometimes it wont turn over it just clicks (and its definitely the starter solenoid clicking throwing the bendix, I can feel it). Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this particular tractor or something close? If the thing didn't work with the jumper or remote button I would say it has a dead spot in the windings and replace the starter but seeing how the starter is $700 or whatever they said and the starter works fine with the remote button/jumper I'm thinking there's some kind of gremlin in the wiring or there's a relay/switch or something else that I don't know about. The only thing I can think of at this point is rewiring the whole starter signal circuit myself with a new ignition switch but I don't know what else is in that circuit. Any help or diagrams would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks guys

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #2  
You are under a 5yr power train warranty and 3 years fir other stuff. The dealer should take care of it for free. You would not pay ANYTHING For a starter or anything else to fix a2014 model....pethaps a transport fee but that's all. Let them fix it.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems
Unfortunately I just checked and the tractor only has a 12 month bumper to bumper warranty and a 5 year powertrain. The dealer said that any external engine components (starter, alternator, etc) are part of the 12 month warranty. He did tell me that there are a couple other safety switches on the seat/pto so I am going to look into those today. If anyone has a wiring diagram for this tractor or something similar and would be willing to send me a picture it would be more than appreciated.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #4  
Mine does the same thing. A quick search of this forum reveals this to be an incredibly common issue. Not just Mahindra, but many others as well. There are threads explaining that the solenoid trigger voltage gets weak as it travels all of the safety switches. There is one thread here I read that describes how to install another relay that uses the weaker trip voltage to fire the solenoid. This is what I intend to do on my 2014 3016 hst. Just seems to be real common, I too have cleaned all connections and checked all of the switches. Seems to get better for awhile, then back to "click, click, start".

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #5  
Mahindra was having some wiring harness issues about that time frame. Water infiltration and crimp wire connections. Check this. Find the main harness RH side just below the relays. Follow it down to where it passes into the console area where it bends back up. CAREFULLY poke a hole in the conduit and see eff there is any H2O dripping out. If there is you might have a crimp connection that is right there that is failing. The connection is power for start relay. Iv'e repaired quit a few of them. :thumbsup:

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #6  
Just curious Dirtrider, do you also have serious corrosion issues around your battery terminals? My cable ends were completely eaten in the first six months of ownership. I replaced both terminals and ultimately a new battery. I have seen here that Mahindra had some crappy batteries in 2014 models as well. I've owned my 3616 for just under a year now, she has 150 hours. Overall, I love this tractor. It has done everything expected and more.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems
I really appreciate the input guys. Yesterday I did in fact notice that the positive battery terminal was just about corroded in half so I cut the wire back 1/2" and soldered a new terminal and shrink tubed it. Also cleaned up the negative which wasn't too bad. I will definitely check the wiring under the relays for moisture today and if all is good there, BillC72 would you happen to know which relay I would need to replace it with and if I am going to need to modify the harness/plug to install it? I am getting about a .5-.8v drop between the battery voltage and the voltage at the signal wire on the starter when the key is turned to "start" so either moisture in the wire or possibly dirty switch would make sense (I lean towards dirty switch because this tractor has a fully enclosed cab and it is stored inside).

If all else fails, how hard do you guys think it would be to rewire the starter signal circuit with heavier gauge wire, bypass the safety switches except for the neutral safety switch on the forward/neutral/reverse shift handle? I have a 1988 Kubota which has no safety on the seat/pto/etc so it wouldn't be an issue for me.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #8  
I am searching for that old post. When I find it I will let you know. But I remember that you actually will add a relay that uses the stock wire to complete the contacts to fire the solenoid. You aren't bypassing any safety stuff. You are merely shortening the start circuit to be direct from batt. to starter. I am not going to discredit the moisture theory either, but my tractor lives in a heated barn as well. I can certainly see how the moisture would get in, and that may well be the problem for some. I would stop short of bypassing the safety stuff, especially while under any warranty. You don't want the tractor to start with a pto engaged.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #9  
ok Dirtrider....I don't know how to link stuff up here, but enter " DX33 starting problem solved " in the search box. there are some good descriptions and some really good pdf. drawings. This appears to be a good, permanent fix for us.

/ 2014 Mahindra 3616 Shuttle Intermittent Starting Problems #10  
Re: DX 33 Starting Problem Fixed

The Napa relay I purchased shows part # AR276
I also purchased a plug with 4 wires that plug into the relay part EC23. You do have to make sure the 4 wires are in the position to contact pins 30, 85, 86, 87 (and not 87a)
There are detailed pictures on this site from Jsheds. For those interested a search under TC33DA-Starting problems will furnish good instructions. I basicly followed the instructions that others furnished on this site.
(1) Relay installed under plastic on left side down low in a vacant hole in the steel plate. Attached the inline fuse 30A on the engine side on the same bolt.
(2) Ran the wire from pin 30 thru the inline fuse and attached at the bolt holding the battery positive to the starter.
(3) Ran the wire from pin 85 to ground. I attached to a bolt under the clutch area that holds a hydraulic line. (need a loop end here just like what is needed to attach at the starter.
(4) Unplugged the white plastic connector from the back side of the starter solenoid and cut it off along with a few inches of wire. Connected this white connector to the wire from pin 86 and plugs back to the solenoid.
(5) Take the cut wire that previously went to the solenoid and connect it going to pin 87 .
I saved pictures and instructions on what others posted and printed them out for instructions to follow.