2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #11  
jim

Thanks for the descriptive write-up. Since we cannot hear your blower, we'll have to assume you are correct and the noise level is more than normal. My 2210 has the same driveshaft arrangement, and I don't notice any more noise than on my old 425. Perhaps the bearings on the intermediate hitch are faulty. As I mentioned above and Shawk reconfirmed, more grease may help (I've never heard a pto failing from too much grease) :)

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #12  
cast_and_blast said:
There aren't many zirks on the 47SB - seems there are a couple on the auger (so it'll spin free if you break a shear bolt) and that's about it.

Are there any by the chain or the short PTO knuckle?

Also - make sure you have a few shear bolts on hand. Never fails that you'll break one right after the JD dealer closes. Putting regular bolts in is a bad idea - bad things can happen in the gearbox. I've been told that there is a spot for a few of these to be stored right on the 47SB - anyone know where that is?

Scott

Hey Scott...Take a peak at these... Let me know if they don't come through clear enough. I didn't see anything regarding storage... I'd be interested as well though.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/shawk00/PICT0301.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/shawk00/PICT0300.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/shawk00/PICT0299.jpg

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #13  
   / 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #14  
Hello

I have 2210 and 47" snowblower and this is my 2 year with it. I use it snow blow about 300 ft of sidewalks. The first year with only about 3 hours of uses the snowblower died! It ran very loud and I ask the dealer if this was ok. He said it's ok.

I was almost finished. It sounded like bomb went off. So I turned off the 2210. Looking at the snowblower the inter auger arm (the arm that holds the auger to the shaft) was broken. I need the snowblower, so installed parts myself. During the repair I notice that all the set screws for arm were loses. (No marks on the shaft from the set screws). I completely check the snowblower and found that it was not ready for uses. Nothing was right. Lose bolts, chain, etc. It's like the unit was put together for display. I put the new arm in. I tighten all bolts, chain, and used threadlocker for set screws for all arms. The unit is loud, but nothing like it was. I say it's about 50% less. So I would check unit complete before using it again. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the PTO shaft is not rubbing up against the steering control rod.

Randy :)

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #15  
turbo36 said:
Look at the lower right in the first picture; see those 4 bolt heads lined up? Those are you spare shear bolts.

ahh... got 'em. Thanks t...

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question
Went back for a visit today,they now believe it is a bad driveshaft(the 4 foot long telescoping shaft from the mid-pto to the front). The shaft on the unit had quite a bit of run-out they said. They have a shaft on order to try now,seems most likely the cause. Thanks to all that responded,I will update later on with results.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #17  
   / 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #18  
cast_and_blast said:
Oh, that's no fun. You want me to actually READ my manual? :)

Thanks!

Scott

Okay Scott... There are 3 on the drive shaft... 2 on the knuckles and one in the center. Then you have two on the auger shaft... there how's that. :D

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #19  
I just examined one of those shear bolts. Looks like as standard 1/4-20 grade 5 bolt.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #20  
I did a little research on the shear bolts simply because I usually go through several in a season. (On my walk behind snow blower, this is the first year for the Deere)

I checked the web page of Norm who makes the shear bolts on my 47 blower but had no luck.

I measured the Rockwell hardness and found it to be 25, slightly less than the hardness of other grade 5 bolts I had in my parts bins which measured Rockwell 31. Ungraded bolts ran around Rockwell 17. Grade 8 around R 36.

Norm did not show the three dash symbol on my bolt which is not the standard grade 5 layout which shows three dashes equally spaced around the bolt head. Instead they showed three dashes spaced off one side of the bolt. I finally found a picture of bolt gradings and it showed the Norm bolt as a grade 5.2

Third bolt down on this web page:

Hex Bolt Identification Guide - Engineers Edge

You will notice it is a low carbon steel bolt and not a medium carbon steel bolt all though the Tensile strength is the same.

My thinking is that a grade three to five bolt will work for this blower, I imagine much cheaper then Deere sells them for but I have not priced the bolts from my dealer.