2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #21  
I picked up a half dozen from my dealer (I was there getting grease and some hydro fluid anyway) and they were under $2 for all of them.

I had to replace a gearbox on a walk-behind snowblower due to using a regular bolt and having it not shear when it should have. Expensive lesson - not one I'm looking to repeat. :)

Good Luck!

Scott

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #22  
Shawk said:
Okay Scott... There are 3 on the drive shaft... 2 on the knuckles and one in the center. Then you have two on the auger shaft... there how's that. :D

Better...now, can I borrow your grease gun? :)

Just kidding - the way this winter is going I won't need to worry about snow until 2007.

Scott

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #23  
Scott,
Just spoke to my dealer and he said they are standard grade 5 bolts.

I went out today to set up and adjust my blower. Apparently the shoot cabling was not set up right (from the factory?) and it frayed in the channel. My dealer gave me new cables and I wired them in. Also I ran the shoes on the outside of the blower in the 'C' position which should keep many of the rocks from getting caught. What happens is the rocks usually get caught between the blades and the housing like a wedge. The larger rocks get sucked in and are shot out of the shoot so it's the medium ones that are the problem.

By the way I tested my blower with the engine at 3,000 rpms and even with no snow it is relatively quiet. I'm pleased, I hate noise. My diesel gen set is so noisy I'm afraid to go near it! I wouldn't mind having a PTO generator.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #24  
PS.
I like the way Deere does their shear pins. Usually shear pins run through the blade shaft and you have to get the remains out with a drift punch, no fun when you are 500 feet down the driveway at night.

I used to make my own pins for my walk behind plows. They are basically standard bolts with a relief kerf machined to 'weaken' them.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #25  
Rob,
Deere makes a replacement shoe that is really heavy duty and looks like a ski. I know they aren't cheap, but when I saw them, I decided to order them when my new old style ones wear out.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #26  
Thanks for the tip JD, I'll look into it.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #27  
cast_and_blast said:
I picked up a half dozen from my dealer (I was there getting grease and some hydro fluid anyway) and they were under $2 for all of them.

I had to replace a gearbox on a walk-behind snowblower due to using a regular bolt and having it not shear when it should have. Expensive lesson - not one I'm looking to repeat. :)

Good Luck!

Scott

Scott,
I don't blame you, that's why I was so careful about exactly what the attributes of the shear pins were.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #28  
Gen-u-ine John Deere shear bolts were $0.75 each at my dealer (nuts for the bolts are extra $0.25). I bought four of them just before I discovered the four spares on the snowthrower :D

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #29  
Just for comparison I can buy a box (100) grade 5 zinc 1/4-20 by 1" bolts and locking nuts for about 6 bucks from my machine tool supplier.

Actually if you go into any hardware store they should cost you well under 20 cents for the bolt and nut, probably closer to a dime. I like JD but hey, it's just a bolt.

/ 2305 with 47" 2 stage snowblower question #30  
chipsndust said:
Gen-u-ine John Deere shear bolts were $0.75 each at my dealer (nuts for the bolts are extra $0.25). I bought four of them just before I discovered the four spares on the snowthrower :D

If you are like me it takes 4 shear bolts the first snow to find all the buried objects!!!