Traction 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue
John,

Thanks for your post. While it makes much sense, I have reservations of trying to handle the loaded tires that are currently on the machine. If I went with your suggestion I would be able to get the smaller R4s (I think) which would provide more wheel/fender clearance. The sad thing about this whole issue is the current setup works fine clearing my drive but has the traction issues at my relative's residence where they have steeper drives. (I am the family plow boy)

I will keep my eyes open on a deal for a spare set of tires but most likely I am going to either make my own chains for the rear where the cross links just cover the tread and provide more clearance or I spoke with tirechains.com yesterday and if I measure the tire correctly they may be able to supply a size that does the same.

I truly value your opinion John as you are most of the reason that I stepped up to the 3720.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #12  
I made my own chains, and shortened the cross links so the side chains would run in the dip at the ends of cross lugs of the R4's. The clearance with the fender is then ok. I was concerned that the chains would slip and run off, but they have worked well for the 3 out of 5 winters I've used them.

If you can get custom-made chains, that would be good. Gathering all the side chain and making the cross links was accomplished, but did take some time and running to getRdun.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #13  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> I don't think chains on the front wheels really could accomplish enough to warrant using them. </font> )</font>

Thats where I would use them,in my experience tire chains on the front are far more effective than running them on the back when running a 4WD the same reason a front wheel drive goes better than a rear wheel drive.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #14  
Shooter -- I've never been a fan of ladder chains. If they don't get lost between the lugs the ride is exceptionally harsh and bumpy. If that doesn't bother you, fine. If it would, check out some of the chains with continuous contact. Much smoother, and much better grip.

Pete

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #15  
Front chains only is extra bad, lots of no-no points awarded for that.

On icy surfaces, weak front wheel assist axle carrying all the load for moving machine.

On tractiony surfaces front wheels get too much traction and can't slip as needed for relieving drive train windup.

On icy surfaces going downhill you can easily do a nice about face in 4wd.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #16  
I have to agree with jcmseven on the R4 tires. I have R4 tires on my 4410. Before that I had turf on my 4310. After two seasons with the R4 tires in the snow I have to say I think I had better snow traction with the turf tires. Not so much in the front as the rear. None of the tires were loaded. I kept my 48BH on this winter for some extra traction. My R4 tires also seem to allow the tractor to slide sideways more than the turf. I was looking at a 3520 and had plans to go back to turf for my application.

Craig

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #17  
check the air pressure i run mine at 10 to 11 lbs . just make sure the valves are at 12oclock when you check them

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue
Do you have a picture of that snow machine?

Yes!

I took a photo today of my machine. The photo is attached. The blower is a 78" Lucknow that I bought used for $350.00 (Not a mis-print) It was blue so of course that color scheme did not match, so I applied some JD green. It works great when you stay in just snow but when I catch a large rock or something else hard wrong then I shear a pin or like today something hard got caught in the chain and snapped it (That makes 3 chain snaps so far this year) A chain protector would be nice but it would most likely have to be removable for servicing the chain.
<font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font> <font color="blue"> </font>
Shooter

Attachments

• 793589-SNOW TRACTOR 001 (Small).jpg
    793589-SNOW TRACTOR 001 (Small).jpg
    42 KB · Views: 251
   / 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #19  
I have never had a problem such as what you mention...never ever been a concern or issue.Not to say you don't make some good points. My mailman use to run them on the front of his truck on during deep snows and I have used them on my tractor on occasio in the mud and snow

Thanks for your observation.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #20  
Shooter,

I appreciate your kind comments. Keep us posted on the progress with the chains. I am in the same dilemma with my current tractor as the 4000 series have even less clearance with R4 tires. That 3720 is a great machine. I know you are enjoying it.

John M