Traction 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #21  
Am I not sure I am fully understanding this thread and I really want to since I have a 3720 Cab model coming soon with large R4 tires and a front-mounted blade. One of it's main purposes is to keep a long gravel driveway and parking area clear of snow. And sometimes Iowa can certainly get it's share of ice. Sorry for being so dense but this is my first tractor and, from this thread, I'm not sure which of the following statements are true:

1. Rear chains definitely won't work. Not enough fender clearance on the 3720 with the large R4 tires.

2. Maybe rear chains won't work, there might not be enough clearance. We don't know for sure.

3. Rear chains definitely will work if you get the smaller R4 tires.

4. If you invert the wheels, chains with the larger R4 tires will work because this will improve the fender clearance.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #22  
Pick #4 and concentrate on that one, IMO.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #23  
I think there is something you are missing here. But if you believe that, I can be ok with that. It's a part of this puzzle that 'doesn't fit' my logical thinking. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif But I can handle it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A front wheel drive car goes better because the weight is 'up front' as that is where the engine is. Heavier there. 4wd tractor, the weight is in the back, and can be more when adding ballast. Lots of different things come into play.
On a tractor, the front wheel assist (i.e. 4wd) doesn't normally allow for locking the two front wheels together so in effect, if one starts slipping then the other one is of no help. If the rear wheels start slipping, the differential lock can be engaged and both wheels will pull together.
However on ice, all bets are off unless there are chains on the wheels. Still, given the above, more traction can be gleaned from chains on the rears, in my opinion (just talking tractors here, as chains on the rear wheels of a front-wheel drive car, I will admit, do not help any /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #24  
Is the issue snow or ice? I've never used chains on a tractor, but I've used chains on trucks. Good in snow, not much good on ice. (IMO)

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #25  
I have 15.00-19.5 loaded R4 tires on my 3320. After reversing the rear wheels (gaining 0.8'" per side), I installed chains made for CUT applications where clearance is an issue. See: Aquiline Tire Chains
Now I have great traction on my steep gravel driveway with a snow pack. The chains are easy to install and clearance is not a problem.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue
Can you tell me where you purchased the chains from? An on-line search has not been very productive. I now wish I would have reversed my wheels before I fluid filled them.
Shooter

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #27  
Shooter, The JD dealer where I bought the 3320 ordered them for me; see Hawkensen Equipment
Sales rep was Denis. They in turn got them from:
Wallingford's
who is wholesale only. Maybe a dealer local to you could order them for you. As I have said, they were expensive, $455 for a set.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #28  
So, you leave the chains off as they are 'not so good' on ice as they are on snow? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The fact, for me, is if the chains are just a 'bit' good on ice, it is better than nothing at all. Snow comes in a variety of conditions. Very cold snow (0°) seems to provide pretty good traction w/o chains, whereas the snow can get pretty slippery when the temps are near freezing. After snow melts a bit, and then the temp drops, one will likely get "ice" which also provides better traction when real cold vs when the surface of the ice has a layer of water on it. Chains will bite into the ice or through it to give 'some' traction.

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #30  
Just let you know I let the air out of the tires before tightening up chains. Of course I jack upthe tire to do this. Then I fill he tire to the wright air pressure hope this helps with clearance problems. Tim