Traction 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue

/ 3000 20 Series with R4s Traction Issue #32  
One of the reasons I suggested the extra wheels was that one could potentially mount the inverted wheels in winter and choose to leave/remove chains at his/her leisure. There are some chains which offer better sidewall-inner fender clearance, but I would not feel comfortable chancing it. The mid and large frame JD's have so little room between the tires and fender wells that one chain slip could really damage the polymer wheel well. There are some folks using (successfully) chains on unmodified tractors, but it seems the older machines may have had a bit more clearance than the newer ones. Also, to me, there are as many tire chain choices (more actually) than there are tire choices. Finding the correct chain pattern for traction and wear is important. Some chains do great in ice, while others may be slightly better than a plain tire. All would be better than a plain tire, though. The other option is a spacer. My local dealer has a machine shop that will make a spacer kit to move the wheels out a pre-determined amount without the drastic difference that a full inversion of the wheels would do. Probably an inch or maybe even less would work.

John M