3016 HST 50 Hour Service

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #11  
Welcome, Ralph. You should be able to do all of this yourself and save a lot of money.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #12  
Depending on what hydro fluid you use you can can count on between $80 and $150 for the fluids. Add another $50-70 for the filter and you are good to go.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #13  
I'm resurrecting this thread as I had questions and I suppose others might also.

I'm getting ready for my 50 hr service, and the manual is junk on what to do. There are conflicting pages on what to to and when with the hydro fluid and filter.

It is consistent on engine servicing at 50 hours.

Before I found this thread, I checked with my dealer and he was familiar with the manual discrepancies and told me to leave the hydro alone until 100 hours..do nothing to it, then change the fluid and filter. He said that the initial fluid is not a breakin fluid like some brands use so it and the filter are good to go for 100 hours.

I think I'll take the cautious route and change the hydro filter anyway. I've seen what metal accumulates in brand new systems. I'll leave the fluid for 100 hours. It's also easier to remember to change it at the hundred hour mark in the future.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #14  
I'm resurrecting this thread as I had questions and I suppose others might also.

I'm getting ready for my 50 hr service, and the manual is junk on what to do. There are conflicting pages on what to to and when with the hydro fluid and filter.

It is consistent on engine servicing at 50 hours.

Before I found this thread, I checked with my dealer and he was familiar with the manual discrepancies and told me to leave the hydro alone until 100 hours..do nothing to it, then change the fluid and filter. He said that the initial fluid is not a breakin fluid like some brands use so it and the filter are good to go for 100 hours.

I think I'll take the cautious route and change the hydro filter anyway. I've seen what metal accumulates in brand new systems. I'll leave the fluid for 100 hours. It's also easier to remember to change it at the hundred hour mark in the future.

I have the geared version and like you, am going to change out the hydro filter but leave the fluid in for another 50 hrs. I will change out the engine oil and filter in 2 tenths of an hour when I reach 50. I put 40-50 hrs a year on a tractor. I changed out my hydro oil in my John Deere 3 times in 28 years and never had a whiff of a hydro related problem. I will say that every time I changed out the hydro filter on the 750, I also cleaned out the hydro screen that picked off the large particles. (not sure about the 3016 having a screen as well as the filter such as the JD had.}

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #15  
I have the geared version and like you, am going to change out the hydro filter but leave the fluid in for another 50 hrs. I will change out the engine oil and filter in 2 tenths of an hour when I reach 50. I put 40-50 hrs a year on a tractor. I changed out my hydro oil in my John Deere 3 times in 28 years and never had a whiff of a hydro related problem. I will say that every time I changed out the hydro filter on the 750, I also cleaned out the hydro screen that picked off the large particles. (not sure about the 3016 having a screen as well as the filter such as the JD had.}[/QUOTE ]

Does the geared version use the UTF for the gears? The HST uses one common fluid source for the tranny and the hydraulics. I would think that the HST would be tougher on fluids than a geared model and might like a more frequent change.

In any case, I'll change the hydro filter but leave the fluid alone.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #16  
[/QUOTE ]

Does the geared version use the UTF for the gears? e.

Yes it does. 5 gallon container is $84 including tax. Cannot readily find other recommended oils in my area so do not know where to get Shell, Chevron, Citgo etc. There are no more gas stations per se but mostly refreshment centers that happen to sell gasoline.

Last edited:
   / 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #17  
Fluids are at Tractor Supply. The hydro is fluid is $40/5 gal for their brand and $60/ 5 gal for the Shell Rotella. I need a total of 10 gals when I change mine out......next time...not this time.

I just got all the filters: Engine oil, fuel, and the TWO hydro filters. I only knew of the one under the 'driver side' step. There's another mounted vertically under the 3pt control lever.

The oil and fuel filter were $22 total. the Two hydro filters were $72...all with tax.

I'm at a loss as to why there are 2 hydro filters. They are different sizes and one is clearly marked 'HST' on it. They both have a common fluid source, yet there are two filters.

Oh yeah, the engine oil, Rotella, is an additional $28 for 2.5 gals. Should be enough for the next changeout too.

So it seems that anytime I do a complete change out, it will cost just about $210...not including the 2 air filters.

Yikes !

Last edited:
   / 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #18  
I'm not sure if the cheaper of the TSC fluids meet specs for an HST. It might, but I'd be careful and use very good fluid on HSTs. As for two hydraulic filters instead of one, I can only surmise that the HST requires finer filtration, and I suppose they do not want to constantly filter all the oil down to such a low micron with just one filter. In cold weather, you might have issues with thicker viscosity on start up if all the oil had to go through one very fine filter. Once you get past the initial service, intervals are decent so that helps on costs.

If you keep your outer air filter from ever getting compromised, the inner filter lasts about forever.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #19  
Fluids are at Tractor Supply. The hydro is fluid is $40/5 gal for their brand and $60/ 5 gal for the Shell Rotella. I need a total of 10 gals when I change mine out......next time...not this time.

I just got all the filters: Engine oil, fuel, and the TWO hydro filters. I only knew of the one under the 'driver side' step. There's another mounted vertically under the 3pt control lever.

The oil and fuel filter were $22 total. the Two hydro filters were $72...all with tax.

I'm at a loss as to why there are 2 hydro filters. They are different sizes and one is clearly mare 'HST' on it. They both have a common fluid source, yet there are two filters.

Oh yeah, the engine oil, Rotella, is an additional $28 for 2.5 gals. Should be enough for the next changeout too.

So it seems that anytime I do a complete change out, it will cost just about $210...not including the 2 air filters.

Yikes !

yeah it just cost me $65 for the tiny oil filter smaller than my wrist in width and a hydraulic filter. You can use other hydraulic oils that Mahindra recommends but they only recommend the Shell Spirex (formerly Donax), Chevron, Citgo, Exxon, Mobil and Texaco stuff. Both Wally's and Tractor Supplys seem to carry their own brand with no other availability of the others around here anyway. There is no recommendation for Tractor Supply's UTF from Mahindra. I have always used the Rotella 15-40 engine oil and that i easily find at TS stores. Is there a TS in the Attleboros somewhere.