3016 HST 50 Hour Service

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #21  
I think the Shell product meets specs....but don't take that as a blanket endorsement without checking the labels against what specs are required. Check your local dealer as well, the Mahindra fluid is not all that expensive.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #22  
I think the Shell product meets specs....but don't take that as a blanket endorsement without checking the labels against what specs are required. Check your local dealer as well, the Mahindra fluid is not all that expensive.

Are you hinting that the Mahindra fluid might be less expensive than the Shell? :D

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #23  
I think a 5 gallon pail at our local TSC is about $10 cheaper than the equivalent volume of our Mahindra oil. The difference being about $0.50/quart. We sell ours in gallon and two gallon jugs at the same per qt rate as a 5 gallon pail, and they are certainly easier to pour from than a 5 gallon. Or at least lighter, which equals easier in my mind. So you could buy two 2 gallon jugs and one 1 gallon jug for about $10 more than a 5 gallon pail from TSC.

I think most dealer branded oils will be a little more than a good non-branded oil. But it is not ridiculously more. I don't care what brand folks use as long as they use quality oil. We all know that Mahindra does not make their own oil and I am not some sort of OEM oil snob. Just use good oil.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #25  
I think the Shell product meets specs.... Check your local dealer as well, the Mahindra fluid is not all that expensive.

I thought $84 for 5 gallons was rather steep at my dealer. The Shell link Pilgrim affords does not appear to be the same Shell oil Mahindra recommends as it is not it's "Spirex" The Travelers may say it is suitable for Mahindra but if something goes wrong with it in the next 4 years under warranty, I do not want someone attempting to disqualify the warranty for me not using a Mahindra recommended oil.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #26  
I believe the shell rotella hydralic/transmission oil sold at tractor supply is the same specs.as shell spirax.you might want to check the shell website.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #27  
You will want to use Mahindra oil while its still under warranty.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #28  
You will want to use Mahindra oil while its still under warranty.

A good idea but not required. Oil must only meet specs. But most dealers charge a similar price to your local Napa for fluids so it isn't much of a penalty over the life of the tractor to use genuine Mahindra fluids.

I'll remind folks again, as I occasionally do, that I'd be very careful using aftermarket filters unless that supplier specs that filter for your tractor. Just because the threads are the same and the sealing ring is the same size does not mean the filtering media, bypass, check valve etc are the same. That being said, if a company like Wix or Baldwin or whomever specifically lists a filter for a Mahindra then you are probably good to go as it will have been checked out by their respective engineers.

If you become a filter engineer and your engine ingests a bunch of dirt around a poorly fitting air filter, you will be rebuilding your engine without warranty help. It's that sort of thing that gets you in trouble.

For every 100 cars sold in the USA each year, there will be maybe 2 tractors sold. Actually a little less than that. It is that lack of volume that keeps the aftermarket suppliers from wading into this market very seriously, hence less competition and higher filter prices. That is my thought anyway, FWIW.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #29  
Not required yes but if you have problems and have not been running Mahindra fluid they can turn down the warranty just like any other brand can also.

/ 3016 HST 50 Hour Service #30  
Not required yes but if you have problems and have not been running Mahindra fluid they can turn down the warranty just like any other brand can also.

Not really, there are laws governing this. As a practical matter, using Mahindra fluids and filters eliminates any questions, I agree with that. Maybe we are saying the same thing in essence.