35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd
Yeah I would love to have 50 hp 4wd but I can't swing it money wise. I had a MX5100 4wd about 8 years ago and had to sell it. 15K is about the most I can spend.

Yes the 35 hp will pull and lift what I need to do, but 45 hp or 50 would be better. I still have some 6 ft attachments and a 7ft double row harrow. I may have to down size them I expect.

I was considering used kubotas or deere's as there are dealers nearby and they seem to hold their value best in my area. Mainly i've been considering 2 wd MX series and the smaller L series up to 39 hp. I also have a massey, mahindra and LS dealers fairly close as well, and I could consider them.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #13  
I think the 35 HP 4WD would likely pull as much ground engagement equipment as a 50 HP 2 WD due to the better traction. As has been said, most CUTs run out of traction way before they run out of power. 4 WD enables you to put all the engines power to work.
PTO equipment is the only thing that your lack of engine HP will suffer from and you may have to slow down a bit from what a 50 HP tractor would do. I think you should still be able to use 6 foot mower and 7 foot harrow if you carry it a bit and not let it sink up to the axles. You rarely need to disk that deep anyway.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #14  
A "properly" weighted 50hp tractor, with GOOD tires will out pull a 35hp MFWD tractor, ESPECIALLY if it's a "utility" tractor, UNTIL the ground get's soft, then everything changes.

SR

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #15  
A "properly" weighted 50hp tractor, with GOOD tires will out pull a 35hp MFWD tractor, ESPECIALLY if it's a "utility" tractor, UNTIL the ground get's soft, then everything changes.

SR

Exactly what my opinion is. In ideal conditions the 50 hp will probably pull twice as hard, but the 4wd will get around much better in less than ideal conditions.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #16  
I am a big fan of older 2WD tractors for specific duties, but I would not have one as my only tractor. They are great for raking, tedding, brush hogging, trailer pulling, etc. on ~flat ground. Not so good for loader duties or traction concerns. Get the 4WD.

Last edited:
   / 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #17  
If you are ever going to till your food plot the 4x4 will give you the reduced ground speed needed.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #19  
If you are ever going to till your food plot the 4x4 will give you the reduced ground speed needed.

My tractor gearing doesn't change in 4wd.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #20  
Exactly what my opinion is. In ideal conditions the 50 hp will probably pull twice as hard, but the 4wd will get around much better in less than ideal conditions.

X3. If you ever get stuck you can use the loader to back out.