35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #31  
Interestingly, I was considering this same question 3 months ago....Compact 4WD or a larger 2WD tractor.

I purchased the 4WD Kioti CK4010 SEHC with factory cab, and have been extremely happy with the tractor.

Go 4WD and you will not regret the downsizing of the tractor.

Iterating what I said in my post. I went from a 100 hp row crop, long frame, 2wd to a 65 compact 4wd and I'm using the same set of implements with relative ease. The cultivator in the pictures in my previous answer could be run at B2 (out of C4 gears) with about 100 rpm drop at 2600 from up to down in the soil you see caked on it.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #33  
A young neighbor was having troubles pulling his large disc with his 4WD 70? HP JD. We talked over the fence line and I suggested he borrow my old International 806 which has 110HP. He said no way an "old 2WD tractor" would pull the disc if his new 4WD wouldn't. After about 30 minutes of that I went and brought the old International to him and he reluctantly hitched it up. The International pulled that disc around like it was a toy. To his credit he appreciates the "loaner" to this day. 4WDs are good, 2WDs are good, it all depends on the application.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #34  
If all the 4hweel drive only people would have seen some of the things that I have seen pulled with 2 wheel drive tractors they would be totally amazed !

Like Tom Seller posted about his 806, I also have a few old heavy well designed 2 wheel drive tractors that would make those who think any 4x4 would put an older 2 wheel drive tractor to shame eat their words.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #35  
Last time I was at a tractor pull it was all 2WD, they have their place in delivering pulling power.

Last edited:
   / 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #36  
Last time I was at a tractor pull it was all 2WD, they have their place in delivering pulling power.

Well, they did carry the front end across the track. A loader tractor doesn't exactly have that weight distribution.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #37  
There is no question that old 2wd iron was made to pull.

The average 50hp 2wd will indeed out pull a 35hp 4wd.

I have basically the exact same two tractors the OP is considering. The L3400 i had for 9-10 years then sold to dad, and now my MX5100.

Both 4wd obviously, but there is no question in my.mind that leaving my MX in 2wd (which I do unless I need 4wd), will out pull the L3400 in 4wd. And the MX isn't even an overly heavy tractor.

I also pull a 3-14 plow and a jd210 disc (which I think is 11'). I can pull the disc in 2wd. I run out of power with both the disc and plow.

Now what I mean by run out of power....it's not that I can't put it in low and spin if I want, cause sure that's easy. The issue is I cannot pull as fast as I would like without lugging. Low range goes 0-3.5mph or so. I like to ow/disc at 4.5-5 mph. Especially discing to get a better mixing/finish. Well, if I run the disc full depth, she's gotta stay on low range and go slow. Traction is no issue.

I suspect similar was the case when an earlier poster mentioned a 70hp 4wd Deere not pulling a disc and an old 806 did so with ease.

Drawbar to drawbar the JD may win? Maybe not. But to maintain proper speed for certain implement like a disc....gotta have a balance of traction AND power.

In the OP's case....if the smaller 4wd with lift what you need....that's what I'd get. Being 4wd is so much handier for loader work, or if the conditions aren't that good. As impressed as I am with my MX....if it was a 2wd only....the L3400 would be the much handier tractor.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #38  

Well Tom, obviously you are maxing out weight and power delivered to the rears because the fronts are in the air and 4wd would be useless. I think we are talking about reasonable applications that us little guys will and do encounter.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #39  
A young neighbor was having troubles pulling his large disc with his 4WD 70? HP JD. We talked over the fence line and I suggested he borrow my old International 806 which has 110HP. He said no way an "old 2WD tractor" would pull the disc if his new 4WD wouldn't. After about 30 minutes of that I went and brought the old International to him and he reluctantly hitched it up. The International pulled that disc around like it was a toy. To his credit he appreciates the "loaner" to this day. 4WDs are good, 2WDs are good, it all depends on the application.

Certainly it depends if you are traction limited or power limited! Mostly I've been traction limited, having wet grass, mud, sand, gravel, clay, some relatively steep sections ... so having all four driving was not an option, but a necessity. I'm not a farmer [yet], so that may change when I get some more acreage. In which case I'll just get a larger, heavier, more powerful tractor, with four wheel drive. The only downside is high initial cost.

/ 35 hp 4wd or 50 hp 2wd #40  
Certainly it depends if you are traction limited or power limited! Mostly I've been traction limited, having wet grass, mud, sand, gravel, clay, some relatively steep sections ... so having all four driving was not an option, but a necessity. I'm not a farmer [yet], so that may change when I get some more acreage. In which case I'll just get a larger, heavier, more powerful tractor, with four wheel drive. The only downside is high initial cost.

It seems the current trend of farming under the 150hp or so mark, traction don't seem to be the issue. Rather power. Because discs, soil finishers, chisel plows, etc are designed to be pulled pretty fast.

Something designed for a 140 hp tractor...a 140hp 2wd tractor is going to pull it at speed just fine. Will a 100hp 4wd tractor pull it....probably. got the traction to with the extra drive wheels. But does it have the HP to maintain the ground speed desired or is it gonna labor and lug down?

Now the great big stuff...300-600hp. I think they just need AWD to get power to the ground. But the 100-200hp farmers...most are operating in 2wd most of the time.

But farming is usually under ideal conditions. Us utility guys that have a tractor as a swiss-army knife so to speak...we are out when wet, play in the mud, get too close and sucked into a pond edge or creek, etc. If all I ever did was flat, dry, farm work, there would be little need for 4wd