4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #1  

w650gb500

Tractor
John Deere 4300
I'm a new tractor owner having just purchased a JD 4300 with a bunch of attachments. The whole package was missing just one necessary piece, a backhoe. Well, I took care of that the other day and purchased a used JD 448 backhoe and a bunch of mounting plates/pieces/parts. I was told that the mounts would fit my 4300, but based on information provided thru a different forum, apparently they will not.

These are what came with the BH.
image.jpg

Does anybody on this forum have a 448 mounted on a 4300? If so, can you confirm what is needed to mount this BH to my tractor? Is it just the 2 plates in the following diagram? Is anything else needed?

image.jpg

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #2  
I dont have one but i thought the 448 was for the 45,46,47 series and the 447 was the model for the 43,44 series.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #3  
I've got a 4400 with a 48. I can send you pics of mine if you need it. From what I remember the plates look like your parts diagram. Of course I don't know if they changed anything between the 48 and 448 as far as mounting.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question.
I've got a 4400 with a 48. I can send you pics of mine if you need it. From what I remember the plates look like your parts diagram. Of course I don't know if they changed anything between the 48 and 448 as far as mounting.

If you would, can you measure the total width of the plates from side to side.

Is there anything else beside those 2 plates that holds the backhoe to the tractor?

Thanks for the reply and info.

Dan

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #5  
If you would, can you measure the total width of the plates from side to side.

Is there anything else beside those 2 plates that holds the backhoe to the tractor?

Thanks for the reply and info.

Dan
It's hard to measure with the backhoe on, took a pic just now but doesn't show much. I'll be able to take better pics and measurements this Friday.

There have been changes to the attachment hardware. The original design I believe just used the two plates, but there was a change after people broke their tractor in half using the backhoe. I'm not sure if mine has the old or new design, it's on my list of things to research but hasn't bubbled to the top yet. You may actually have the new design, I'm not sure exactly what the change was.

IMG_20170416_221020.jpg

OK, I went to the local JD dealership this morning and spent some time with both their parts guy and the service manager. They looked thru their computer and a bunch of manuals to get me a part number for the correct RSA mounting plates. Looks like I need part # BM19564. The big question now is whether or not there is a subframe required to get the 448 onto the 4300. The service manager was going to get with their salesman and see if he knows the answer.

To Texasranger556, does your 4400/48 combo utilize a subframe in addition to the RSA mounting plates?

They seem to think that I may possibly need part #LVB24795 but are not sure. They are checking. This is what it looks like.image.jpg

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #7  
No sub frame on mine. I would rather have one and may build something eventually, at least something that ties the side plates into the loader mount.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #8  
They seem to think that I may possibly need part #LVB24795 but are not sure. They are checking. This is what it looks like.View attachment 506318

TEXAS is right. JD came up with that reinforcement to deal with broken tractors that used only
those 2 small plates (subframes, actually) to mount their hoes.

If you don't buy and install that reinforcement, then you should make one. I made 2 custom
subframes for 4300s, and the tractor is just not strong enough to handle the bending
forces from a hoe. Also, the rear trumpet housings for the axles are aluminum unlike pretty
much all tractors in this class.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #9  
Pics of my 4400 tractor with 48 backhoe. About 19-3/4" to the outside of the plates.

f90ec840d750b9ad49bd9cbfd438cb22.jpg

402b5bcc6e5b87bf22d72a5e2cef3e22.jpg

e6e5b7abf822670db98581de797dc70c.jpg

Thank-You for the pix. I rec'd a call from my local JD dealership letting me know that the mounting plates which were special ordered, had come in. I'll be picking them up in the morning and possibly installing them over the weekend. It's nice to have your pictures to use as a reference. Thanks for the effort.