4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #21  
This is a very useful thread.

@w650gb500 are you able to post the part numbers of the attaching parts that you used to mount the 448 backhoe on the 4300? This would be very helpful

Thank you for starting this thread. Very helpful.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question.
The part number for the RSA mounting plates is BM19564.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #23  
I'm a new tractor owner having just purchased a JD 4300 with a bunch of attachments. The whole package was missing just one necessary piece, a backhoe. Well, I took care of that the other day and purchased a used JD 448 backhoe and a bunch of mounting plates/pieces/parts. I was told that the mounts would fit my 4300, but based on information provided thru a different forum, apparently they will not.

These are what came with the BH.
View attachment 506133

Does anybody on this forum have a 448 mounted on a 4300? If so, can you confirm what is needed to mount this BH to my tractor? Is it just the 2 plates in the following diagram? Is anything else needed?

View attachment 506132

I just found your post. You may have your problem solved. Your 448 hoe is the exact same hoe as 485. John Deere says they are different but they are not. Just new number system. This may help you find plates you need. You need a sub frame for that tractor even If you have to build one. Those plates were designed for newer series tractors like 4520 which had heavy built axle housing designed to carry the hoe. The 4300 was weak in that area and will break with that bigger hoe mounted with plates. I have seen it. Good luck. Mark.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #24  
It's a complete mounting "kit" and does include the 8 bolts, washers and instructions.

I will make a template for both pieces, have someone create a DXF file and then I will have it should there be a need to make any in the future.

Did you happen to make a pdf file of side plates for your 4310
if so i wwas wondering if you could send it to me i would like to make my own plates...thank you

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #25  
Take a look at the document in this link:http://www.deere.com/en_US/docs/government/contracts/wi_11-5755_C25_20130205.pdf
You have to scroll down until you find the description for the Heavy-Duty Subframe Kit LVB 24795

Heavy-Duty Subframe Kit Required for Use on 4300-4400, 4310-4410 Tractors with a 48, 448 or 485 Backhoe

I also found the following in an older thread: "Required for 4300-4400 and 4310-4410 Tractors with a 47 or 447 Backhoe used in rental and commercial applications. Highly recommended for standard use of 47 and 447 Backhoe. [*]Required for 4300-4400 and 4310-4410 Tractors with a 48 or 448 Backhoe in all applications. [*]Provides additional underbody protection for the tractor. [*]Does not change backhoe attachment/detachment procedure. [*]Mid-Mount Mowers and the 74 Front Blade and their attaching parts are not compatible with the heavy-duty subframe kit.[/list]"

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #26  
I will reiterate the essential need for a subframe on these tractors! When I acquired my 4600, it had the backhoe plates mounted on the tractor, but I didn't get a backhoe. So I managed to find a model 48 backhoe that was missing the plates, so I got a great deal, or so I thought! When I mounted the backhoe, I noticed that the plates were loose. Upon further examination it became clear that the prior owner had run the backhoe quite a bit while all the plate mounting bolts were loose. That hogged out all threaded bolt holes in the rear axle housings. Fortunately, the other bolts going into the rear end were still OK. This, in my opinion, is the result of a very weak mounting scheme from John Deere. All of the forces generated by that backhoe are carried by a few bolts that span a little more than one square foot and are also placed onto the rear differential and axle housings. Very bad design. I took the tractor to a good machinist friend who happens to work on heavy equipment, and is perfectly happy with cutting steel that's several inches thick. He modified the mounting plates by adding 1" threaded rods that clamp the axle housings rather than sinking bolts into threaded holes. Also, he cut out two arms made of 1 3/8" solid steel that were welded to the mounting plates. These arms extend down under the tractor and extend forward to be attached to the loader posts in the center of the machine. Now, rather than all these forces being carried by the rear end, the load is being shared by the whole tractor. After it was all completed, he laughed saying that you could pick up the whole tractor by grabbing onto one of those sub-frame arms.
BackhoeMount1.jpg
BackhoeMount2.jpg
BackhoeMount3.jpg
BackhoeMount4.jpg

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #27  
I will reiterate the essential need for a subframe on these tractors!

Good post, Dan. That subframe looks very nice. JD CUT owners with aluminum axle housings
go without full subframes at their own peril.

I always like to see how others have fabricated their very necessary subframes. The other design consideration
that needs to be emphasized is close-coupling the hoe to the tractor.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #28  
Good post, Dan. That subframe looks very nice. JD CUT owners with aluminum axle housings
go without full subframes at their own peril.

I always like to see how others have fabricated their very necessary subframes. The other design consideration
that needs to be emphasized is close-coupling the hoe to the tractor.

I was VERY fortunate to have access to a very capable machinist who was willing to do this for me. This design was all his idea and the steel he used came from scraps lying around his yard. His primary business is building or rebuilding buckets and forks for huge machines, so he has an abundance of steel laying all over the place. Without him I would have been getting rid of my tractor. The first guy I brought the tractor to told me to get a different one that didn't have screwed up axle housings.

It is arguably mechanical malpractice the way JD designed these mounts, and especially with aluminum axle housings on the smaller models.

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #29  
Glad you guys bumped this thread. Reminds me to measure for a subframe while my fenders, seat, and floor are removed. Does anyone know what the Deere subframe is made from as far as alloy/thickness?

/ 4300 with 448 backhoe. Mounting question. #30  
I will reiterate the essential need for a subframe on these tractors! When I acquired my 4600, it had the backhoe plates mounted on the tractor, but I didn't get a backhoe. So I managed to find a model 48 backhoe that was missing the plates, so I got a great deal, or so I thought! When I mounted the backhoe, I noticed that the plates were loose. Upon further examination it became clear that the prior owner had run the backhoe quite a bit while all the plate mounting bolts were loose. That hogged out all threaded bolt holes in the rear axle housings. Fortunately, the other bolts going into the rear end were still OK. This, in my opinion, is the result of a very weak mounting scheme from John Deere. All of the forces generated by that backhoe are carried by a few bolts that span a little more than one square foot and are also placed onto the rear differential and axle housings. Very bad design.

my experience as well. The bolts are hidden behind the fenders making it extremely difficult to inspect them. your plan looks good!