5 Day Work Week

/ 5 Day Work Week #11  
There is a lot of inter-workings with USPS, UPS and Fedex now. I was in a large post office recently, and UPS brought some packages in, and picked some up. That may be the clue to still having package delivery on Saturday

/ 5 Day Work Week #12  
they don't work 6 days a week, they deliver 6 days a week. Each person is assigned a route and 1 day off during the week, and then Sunday. They have substitutes that fill in the rotating "off" days. My mom has been working for them for around 10 years, but between a transfer and then a merge with another post office, has not accumulated enough seniority to get a route so is still a substitute. She actually works 6 days a week quite often, but the regulars don't. Basically, this move (which has been under consideration for quite some time) will eliminate a lot of substitutes.
So, for my Mom's sake, I am against it. But also, I think Saturday delivery is kind of nice. Living in the sticks, I order a lot of stuff online and if it is sent USPS it may come on a Saturday vs. having to wait until Monday depending on when I order it- means a lot sometimes. This gives them an edge over UPS and FedEx who charge a large premium for Saturday delivery. If they lose that, it may hurt business more than they think.

heard packages will still be delivered on SAt, maybe that was just to PO boxes but they did say something about Sat and packages?

/ 5 Day Work Week #13  
The USPS does final delivery for many UPS packages, they figured out they save by paying PO to deliver them vs going to all the houses that the PO will already go to. The PO can do it cheaper as they already go by each house each day.

/ 5 Day Work Week #14  
The USPS does final delivery for many UPS packages, they figured out they save by paying PO to deliver them vs going to all the houses that the PO will already go to. The PO can do it cheaper as they already go by each house each day.

I have had this happen with some UPS ground packages.

/ 5 Day Work Week #15  
My grandfather was a rural carrier and my father still is a rural carrier. He's on his 50th year of service right now. Dad still works 6 days per week right now and gets mileage paid. He actually comes out ahead on his mileage allotment by driving older vehicles.

My grandmother received benefits for 39 years after my grandfather died. Grandfather didn't live long after he retired. Grandmother lived to age 92 and was several years younger than he was. I think she got 60% of his salary. I'm not sure what other benefits she received. My father will receive 80% of his pay if he ever decides to retire. He's collecting SS while he's still working right now.

In short, the postal service has been very good to our family but those days are coming to an end. Luckily my son will probably inherit most of those benifits someday.

Being an advocate of smaller government, I think most government services could be better provided by private companies, not controlled by the government.

Kevin

/ 5 Day Work Week #16  
I suspect the USPS is like any other large corporation. To many chiefs and not enough Indians. How many upper management positions are required Vs what their are?

I could easily live with M-F delivery and as one other person posted suspect it will hurt the part time people the most.

/ 5 Day Work Week #17  
With telephone, fax and now e-mail, regular mail is an antiquated concept. It should come as no surprise that the USPS is struggling.

/ 5 Day Work Week #18  
Whoever does the Saturday route around my way doesn't do a very good job (actually get more mail Monday and none on Saturday most of the time) so I won't notice any difference.

The only good thing about the mail is my catalogs, and magazine subscriptions the rest is junk, and bills!

/ 5 Day Work Week #19  
I hate it when we order something online to be shipped via UPS only to get a card in my mailbox telling me to come to post office to pick up package. Post office wont deliver it, why didn't UPS deliver it?

/ 5 Day Work Week #20  
I hate it when we order something online to be shipped via UPS only to get a card in my mailbox telling me to come to post office to pick up package. Post office wont deliver it, why didn't UPS deliver it?

^^^ YES! They are too lazy to deliver it. I especially hate when they leave the "we missed you" card which is an outright lie!

Oh, and when you do get down to the PO to pick it up, they are closed for lunch, or whatever.