5 Day Work Week

/ 5 Day Work Week
Deepndirt is our duly elected rebate king!:thumbsup:

Thank You! Thank you very much! Is such a privilege, I've never been elected to be anything, and to be considered a King at something is a great honor,:drink:
My real goal is to become King of my own castle, But being a "Rebate King" is a start now where is my Crown? I must have it while s itting on my throne,:p Happy-Happy days :cloud9:
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..............
The idea of MWF I think would serve us well, wouldn't be any difference than all other changes recently being made and forcing us to get use to,

/ 5 Day Work Week #32  
If you aren't king of your own castle then Mrs deepndirt must be. Good luck and what room of the house is your throne in?

/ 5 Day Work Week #34  
Its like amtrak, do we really need the USPS at all? Stamps might a a dollar or more but some private carrier would probably jump at the chance to carry "mail".

I think we do need an official USPS. Just not on the scale we have them now.

We really could do just fine with Saturday ONLY mail delivery.

/ 5 Day Work Week
If you aren't king of your own castle then Mrs deepndirt must be. Good luck and what room of the house is your throne in?
Actually the Mrs. has the Run of the house, our agreement is she does what she wants to the house, and I get to help when I'm needed,:cool2:
In the days of the Kings, they would call them the Royle water closets :D

Oh! and happy B-day there to you robbyr:drink:

Last edited:
   / 5 Day Work Week #36  
I'd really like to see Saturday ONLY mail delivery.

A lot of money would be saved and nobody would really miss getting junk mail the other days.

I would not go that far, there still lots of folks that love the mailbox, my now deceased grandmother was one, she loved watching for the mail man and going to the box, even though she almost never got anything it was just in hope that there would be a letter. I could see going to 3-4 days at first them mayber cutting again later if need be.

/ 5 Day Work Week #37  
Many of us work a 5 day work week, I read today where the USPS mail delivery is cutting back to 5 days, excluding Saturday deliveries, Not sure how most feel about the cutback but as for myself 5 days is enough junk mail for me, and if cutting back 1 day helps to save... why Not?

The USPS lost roughly $16 billion last year.

Cutting out Saturday delivery saves $2 billion per year.

Hypothetically, let's cut out Monday to Friday delivery.
That saves another $10 billion per year.

So with all USPS operations suspended -- the USPS would still be losing 4 billion per year.

/ 5 Day Work Week
I can't see the math adding up either, For them to even report Loosing 16 billion doesn't add up, First of all how do you loose something that was never made in the first place, secondly if they look around within their own agencies they might just find part of what they think they've loss actually spent somewhere else,, ;)

/ 5 Day Work Week #39  
Falling mail volumes is a universal thing. Here the Post Office is a SOE (State Owned Enterprise)and as such has to pay tax and return a profit (even if both go straight to the Gummint) The PO is about to negotiate with the Govt to reduce deliveries to 3 days a week. Their justification is that letter volumes have dropped 25% over the last 5 years. Small packets and parcels (courier items) have increased as a result of online purchases and e-bay.

The number of postmen could be reduced to half and they could be given 2 ''walks'" to be delivered on alternate days. The Posties would still work 6 days and get in their 40 hour week.

The Rural Mail contractors are contracted to the PO but deliver courier parcels from all the Courier companies as well newspapers and the junk mail. Some do milk and bread.

There is no big public outcry from suburbia but the rural people seem to want to keep the 6 day delivery because they get a bit 'more' than in the burbs. Well that's what they tell my when I hand them their mail :)

/ 5 Day Work Week #40  
The USPS lost roughly $16 billion last year.

Cutting out Saturday delivery saves $2 billion per year.

Hypothetically, let's cut out Monday to Friday delivery.
That saves another $10 billion per year.

So with all USPS operations suspended -- the USPS would still be losing 4 billion per year.
That shouldn't be too hard to figure out, not all the cost of the usps is in delivery. Maybe they have do something like sort it or something and or maybe transport it to other post offices/locations before it can be delivered. Not a postal employee.