5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #1  

ForestGrump

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra EMAX 22
Last 2 days we have received 30" of very very dense wet snow to be followed by 2' to 3' tonight Sunday and Monday. I'm 74 and live at 7,000' in the San Bernardino Mountains. So I got the Mahindra EMAX22 after looking at Deere and Kubota. I wanted the extra weight about 2,000# with the loader. Chains may be here Monday, then again they may not. Two of the three roads up here were closed yesterday and last night and the third was single lane - Flatlanders.

My driveway is 100' long with a 15 degree slope for the first 30'. The city uses large road graders and large articulated Front End Loaders with a 5' high by 10' 6,000# front blade and are chained on all wheels.

Chain restrictions are in effect R3, all vehicles must be chained even 4x4 and AWD, All 3 highways up and in Town.

They came by three times over night and this morning making a 4-5' high berm about 6 to 8' deep. Thanks guys! We seldom see frost on the south facing land and roads so the bottom 3 to 6" of the snow is slushy ice. An Ariens Pro snowblower can't cut through it. Have to layer it, in steps.

But the New Mahindra can, used the bucket and easily cleared my berm and a few others. So far I'm really impressed with the little beast and I'm not breathing heavy, sweating or aching - but smiling. This was without chains just using the bucket. I always help a few neighbors, one who is 83 -Alice. Picked up $40 doing the berms on two vacation rentals - flatlanders.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #2  
Nice! That's a pretty heavy snowfall for your neck of the woods. It's been a long time since I've been there.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #3  
Got to love the tractors! Right tool for the job makes all the difference.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #4  
Hey welcome Forrest! Good luck with your upcoming weather adventure, and take some pics for us.:thumbsup:

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #5  
Welcome to TBN. Join the fun.
My Mahindra was a 5525. Sold it 2 years ago when I sold my ranch up in Tehama County and moved to the city. Getting old.
My DIL's parents own property around the lake. They're at their beach place in Carlsbad now. Probably won't be up where you are until the Spring thaw.

Good luck and enjoy your new tractor.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #6  
Here in southern New England, I've had one episode of plowable snow, about a foot. The last two weeks the temps have been ranging between 40 and 60. I'm not sure we've been below freezing at night for a couple weeks.I walked down my kind drive way to enjoy the day and heard birds chirping..... In January ! Expecting 2-3 inches of rain tomorrow.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #7  
I'm out in the Mojave about 50 miles east from you. No snow here but in the last 30 days we have had more rain than we have had annually for the last 5 years.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #8  
Welcome to TBN Grump,

A new tractor that does the job for you and the neighbors "makes our day" doesn't it. Here in (my part) Eastern Kansas, we have not had enough snow to fire up the equipment. Some easy rain has helped the land however.

Cheers,
Mike

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California #9  
Wait until the snow blower bug gets you and you wont need to use the loader at all!
Are your rear tires loaded?
The Donner Pass Highway was closed as of Friday and yesterday but Uncle Pete and AMTRAK are still going right along with the Union Pacific flangers running around the clock. I would imagine that the towns up yonder like Trukee and Colfax are pretty well snowed in.

/ 5' Forcast 24" so far in Sunny Southern California
Nice to hear from you guys. Phase 3 started in earnest about an hour ago. Phase 1 and 2 gave us 30"+ at my house which is at 7,000'. This might be 1 to 3' more. I've been able to pile 6' high and then push them back. Really impressed by the larger standard front and rear tires on this tractor. I have no extra weight just the 2,000# + EMAX 22. 7 years ago today we had our largest single snow fall since we have lived here 7 feet at our house. We need it for our lake, down 15' and for our forest.