$5000 truck?

/ $5000 truck? #1  

dodge man

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 2025R
I'll give a little background here. I currently have a 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab half ton. The problem I have is I want a late model Dodge Challenger. The other problem is the wife wants one a lot less then I do. She some what as a joke said to trade my truck on one if I want one that bad. That actually may not be that bad of a deal if I can buy the Challenger and then buy a cheaper truck.

So the question is what kind of a truck can you get for around $5000-$8000? I'd like to get another Dodge and due to the fact we live in the country I think 4x4 is a must. A club cab or quad cab would be nice, but I could do without. I have a car hauler type trailer and it would be nice to get a truck that could tow at least tow 7000lbs. I'd probably take a Ford or Chevy if the price is right. I'm figuring something 10 years old with maybe 100,000 miles might be in my price range. Is this realistic?

/ $5000 truck? #2  
I've been doing a lot of looking in the last six months, and $8K seems to be the point at where you can get a reasonably modern truck in reasonably good condition with what you're after (you're going to have to give up on the miles a bit, no matter what). You really have to keep looking though, the good deals are few and far between.

$5K will get you everything you're looking for mechanically, but you're going to be at (well) over 250K miles or 20 years old or both.

/ $5000 truck? #3  
Personally if I had a truck I liked, it did what I wanted and knew its mechanical condition I'd be very hesitant to get rid of it to get something unknown and possibly problematic...but thats just me:thumbsup:

/ $5000 truck? #4  
You can try but you can't go back.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Keep your Dodge PU.:D

/ $5000 truck? #5  
I doubt you'll find a newer RAM (2002+) in quad/crew cab 4x4 for that price and as you probably know the older style RAM didn't come in a quad/crew cab configuration unless you want a 4-door with 2 suicide doors. You may be lucky to find one depending on your area but since you don't plan on using it much a Ford or Chevy should do fine. :D

I would do it in an instant, those Challengers are amazing! Road & Track tested the Challenger R/T at 376hp/410lb.ft. and averaged 20.3mpg in a 4135lb car and they were not going easy on it.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/content...ile/September-2010_Road-Test-Summary-Data.pdf

/ $5000 truck? #6  
They are out there. My neighbor just sold, 10 days ago, a regular cab short bed dodge 1500 4x4 short bed red cab. It was a 97 with 120,000 miles but only 40,000 on a fresh 360 and 5,000 on a rebuilt tranny and transfer case. It had the typical dodge rust on the doors and front fenders but the rest was solid. $5000

I also looked at a 99 f150 with only 68,000 on it. It was 4x4 reg cab, long bed but only had the 4.6 so 7,000# was its limit. $6500 it was cleaner than most 2009 I see.

I stay far from GM but I think you could find the same.

Chris

Last edited:
   / $5000 truck? #7  
I have been thinking of selling one of my Dodges. I am hesitant though because I know the history of it since I bought it almost new. I am just thinking about thinning the fleet a little, but I might just take it off the road and park it in the weeds for a while instead. The insurance comes due in a couple of weeks so I will have to make a decision by then I guess.

What do y'all think a '96 4x4 dually with a v-10 and 5 speed is worth? It has just a little over 200k on it, but runs excellent and has never had any major issues.

/ $5000 truck?
Maybe about $5000 sitting in my driveway.;) Its a little more truck than I need, but it is a Dodge!

/ $5000 truck? #9  
It depends on whether you want gas or diesel. That'll also determine the age of the truck too. If diesel then it'll probably be more than 10 - 15 years old. A gas truck maybe about 10 or slightly less, depending on the miles. Personally, I would go diesel. If you like Dodge, and have had good luck with them, then I would look for a 1st Gen Dodge Cummins, (89' - 93') or early 2nd Gen, (94' - 02', though you'll be staying closer to a 94' or 95' MY if your looking at an early one). Those trucks are very reliable, even with a couple hundred thousands miles on them, can be had reasonably priced around 5k, they get great mileage, and they'll be twice as good as any newer gas truck. While yes, those trucks are scarce, they are out there. I have a 92' Dodge Cummins with 174k on it and it's been a great truck, and I truthfully feel that it's more reliable than my 06, simply because it's a much simpler design.

Not a 2wd, but still a good truck:
1989 Dodge D250 Cummins Diesel

Possible option, the little things could be easily fixed, but I might pass on it:
1992 dodge d350 cummins 4x4

I doubt you would like a flatbed, but it's a pretty solid looking truck:
1993 DODGE ONE TON DUALLY

Not a bad looking option, the rust spot on the door that's mentioned could easily be fixed, 5 speed is also a desirable transmission too:
1994 Dodge 2500 Cummins

Last edited:
   / $5000 truck?
Unless you are into cars, you don't understand. I owned a 70 Challenger for about 12 years and a 70 Road Runner for about 7 years. Once its in your blood, you can't get rid of it. There is no practial reason to buy the Challenger, and there are several reasons to keep the truck, but its more a matter of wants sometimes and not needs.