$5000 truck?

/ $5000 truck?
how about keeping your truck and buying an older muscle car maybe a little rough around the edges charger or challenger with a 426 or 440 six pack. And you would have plenty of truck to pull it on your car hauler to the shows. :thumbsup:

These usually cost more than a new car, I used to be in the hobby and love the older cars but the cost can get crazy. A 426 hemi car or six pack car is usually off the chart. I've seen the shell of a hemi car go for more than a new Challenger would cost. This is a car with no engine, missing a lot of parts, and needs a complete restoration.

/ $5000 truck? #22  
Found a $5K truck, remembered this thread.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...3-1998-qclb-dodge-2500-cummins-4x4-5-spd.html

started at 8500
in culver Indiana.

just had some work done and it messed something up so he's dropped the price further.

IMG_0031.jpg

/ $5000 truck? #23  
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...3-1998-qclb-dodge-2500-cummins-4x4-5-spd.html

started at 8500
in culver Indiana.

just had some work done and it messed something up so he's dropped the price further.

IMG_0031.jpg

Sounds like a headache to me. 275,000 miles is a lot of miles. It's not too many miles on the engine, but that's a lot of miles for the truck around the engine. I would think that if you're looking for something somewhat reliable then I would probably stay a lot closer to stock too. Sounds like the mechanics that he's had wrenching the truck have been questionable too. I'd pass.

/ $5000 truck? #24  
Sounds like a headache to me. 275,000 miles is a lot of miles. It's not too many miles on the engine, but that's a lot of miles for the truck around the engine. I would think that if you're looking for something somewhat reliable then I would probably stay a lot closer to stock too. Sounds like the mechanics that he's had wrenching the truck have been questionable too. I'd pass.

I agree. I could see one having twice the asking price or maybe 3 times by the time you get it back together, the steering tightened up, ect. Looks like a can of worms.

Chris

/ $5000 truck? #25  
Before I had any disposable income, i used to buy 100K Chevy and GMC 4x4's ever other year. I'd put 60k on them and sell them for almost what I had in them. Never had a serious mechanical or any other failure. Alternators and water pumps, that's all.

I did this for 10 years. If you know where the truck came from and how it was maintained, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a high miler...In fact my GMC has around 90K on it now and have had no uissues with it either.

As far as muscle cars...The Hemi shells do bring some crazy money even if they're rotted out..A friend of mine bought a Hemi Roadrunner shell from someone who really didn't know what he had. To say it was rough is being kind. No glass, wiring, doors, interior, drive train...nothing but a rusted heap and a vin plate. Got $7k no questions asked.

/ $5000 truck? #26  
I've got my 2000 F-350 XL reg cab 4X4 V-10 5 spd w/120k miles on craigslist for $7k. One guy was real interested until he re-read the ad and noticed it was a manual trans, and said it wouldn't work for them. I guess they don't know how to drive a manual trans. Getting to be less and less people that know how to use both hands and both feet to drive I guess.

Trucks like what you are looking for are out there, you just have to be patient. Once I sell my F-350, the hunt for a F-450 CC 4x4 starts in ernest.

/ $5000 truck? #27  
I've got my 2000 F-350 XL reg cab 4X4 V-10 5 spd w/120k miles on craigslist for $7k. One guy was real interested until he re-read the ad and noticed it was a manual trans, and said it wouldn't work for them. I guess they don't know how to drive a manual trans. Getting to be less and less people that know how to use both hands and both feet to drive I guess.

Depends on your needs. Tough pulling a large boat, 10,000# or more, from the lake with a stick. It can be done but its tough.

I used to drive noting but manuals but will not own one now. Just does not fit into what I do and with the new trucks all having 5 speeds or more there is no advantage.

Chris

/ $5000 truck? #28  
I love manual trucks, but not towing with them. Chris is right, but I'd drop the towing weight down quite a bit more than he has. I'll take an automatic any day for heavy towing...There's already enough to worry about out there with idiots text messaging and talking to disembodied voices on the phone while "trying" to drive.:mad:

/ $5000 truck? #29  
They are out there. My neighbor just sold, 10 days ago, a regular cab short bed dodge 1500 4x4 short bed red cab. It was a 97 with 120,000 miles but only 40,000 on a fresh 360 and 5,000 on a rebuilt tranny and transfer case. It had the typical dodge rust on the doors and front fenders but the rest was solid. $5000

I also looked at a 99 f150 with only 68,000 on it. It was 4x4 reg cab, long bed but only had the 4.6 so 7,000# was its limit. $6500 it was cleaner than most 2009 I see.

I stay far from GM but I think you could find the same.

Chris

There were rod and main bearing issues with the late 90's Dodges with 360's...Many people I know had those give up at less than 80K...The 318 was pretty much bullet proof. There were tranny problems but they were hit and miss.

Another dig at GM Chris?;)

/ $5000 truck? #30  

started at 8500
in culver Indiana.

IMG_0031.jpg

I like to buy used stuff and save some $ but don't like to buy anything that is not stock. I don't mind fixing something if the price is right but I like it stock. Who knows if Billy Bob lifted it under a shade tree.