5105 engine surging

/ 5105 engine surging #11  
White smoke from a diesel in my green suiter days usually ment raw fuel in the exhaust. You ruled out your fuel system up to your filters, how about those injectors? I would rule out the injector pump timing as a source but partially clogged injectors? Slow flow to the filters from the tank? Your location rules out any ice related issues but my money is on a fault with the injectors. (y)

/ 5105 engine surging
Thanks I.L.
I am still not happy with the fuel tank either. Like you I live in the middle of nowhere and got 20 gallons of fuel out of a 100 gallon tank at the nearest mom and pop and that is where the trouble started. when I drained the tank I caught samples in quart mason jars and it looked like nearly as much water as fuel so the fuel tank is going to get another flushing and cleaning and a new fitting. The 2cd fuel filter has never been changed, I didn't even know it was there so I picked one up yesterday but was unable to locate the final filter so I ordered it online. I also bought new fuel line where I bought the inline filter and since everything is going to be open to air anyway I may as well change it as well since it has some cracking were it bends to tie to the injectors. I haven't took anything apart yet because as it stands now with a little effort I can get it to run and use it and living where I live that gives some peace of mind, especially with the weather we have been having.
Thank you all, as soon as I can get all the parts and get started I will work from the tank forward and let you all know the result.

/ 5105 engine surging #13  
Seems you've determined water in fuel. I have taken off fuel/water filters, dumped and blown them out, and put them back on. Many have drain cocks on the bottom. Good thing you put new fuel line in place, old ones crack and lose their prime. Hope who ever had it before you did not do away with the main filter, you do not want debris getting to your fuel pump or injectors. In fact, I installed an extra inline fuel filter on our 5420 to make sure the engine was getting clean fuel....

/ 5105 engine surging
Seems you've determined water in fuel. I have taken off fuel/water filters, dumped and blown them out, and put them back on. Many have drain cocks on the bottom. Good thing you put new fuel line in place, old ones crack and lose their prime. Hope who ever had it before you did not do away with the main filter, you do not want debris getting to your fuel pump or injectors. In fact, I installed an extra inline fuel filter on our 5420 to make sure the engine was getting clean fuel....
Thanks Kyle, The response is much appreciated. The drain cock on the final filter is how I first discovered water. I bled off water for what seemed like a very long time, reprimed and started and it didn't run long before the surging was back. Bled it off again and this time some nasty tinged fuel came with it. This process has been repeated many times even after the fuel was dumped and filter and fuel changed, that is what makes me think that the inline filter that I didn't even know was there may be the culprit and at around 1200 hours I would think it needs to be changed regardless. The final filter is cheap enough compared to the aggravation of the surging that it is worth changing to me.
I haven't put the new fuel line in yet, I live about 70 miles from anywhere but a NAPA and Tractor Supply and neither of them had the final filter and since at this point I can still run the tractor I decided not to crack it open until I have all the parts.
Question: is there any reason that I couldn't or shouldn't move the inline filter to a more accessible location? I found it after QuebecGuy posted about it and it is going to be a pretty good chore to get to.
Thanks again,
Creek.

/ 5105 engine surging #15  
I bought a smallish filter, about 2" diameter x 3" long. I put it inline just before the manual fuel pump. It is not intended to catch water, just debris. I left the fuel cap untightened once, and after shredding about 15 acres, I realized it had come off and was dangling by it's tether chain.

/ 5105 engine surging
Hey Folks, sorry for the delay, have had some issues with my wife's father and mothers health needs that have delayed me and in between I have been putting out fires, it never rains, it always pours. I did finally get all the parts except the tank fitting and to be honest I had forgot it until Sunday afternoon when I wanted to start on it and since I can still start it and run it I don't want to open it up until I have all the parts to finish, basically I don't want to drain the tank twice. I have to meet someone to look at his property tomorrow so hopefully I can get the fitting for the tank then with any luck and get on it when the storms pass which the weather man says will be Friday afternoon.
Thanks to all you folks, I appreciate your help very much.

/ 5105 engine surging
I know this thread is kinda dead but wanted to check in. I have still not tackled the tractor, it seems I have added to my wifes burden, I shattered the left rear of my pelvis and tore the ligament loose that holds the front halves in place. I now have a bunch of hardware and metal plate holding everything together and will be at least another month before I will be able to start trying to walk, I am not sure how well I will be able to move as far as bending and twisting goes but I expect to make a good recovery, maybe not 100% but close. I have broken my back and ruptured discs and thought I new what pain was, I didn't but I do now, LOL.
As soon as I can get mobile and agile enough I will get back on this project and check in again. Thanks again to all who chimed in, it is sincerely appreciated.

/ 5105 engine surging #19  
Damn!

wow, what a bad run of luck

my last 2 yrs has been similar

count your blessings and heal up

/ 5105 engine surging
I am without doubt blessed and thank God for all his blessings. It was a horse wreck and I take all the blame, the horse was just being a horse. She is a 3 year old that I have about 10 rides outside on, she has the worst temper of any horse that I have ever owned or ridden and I have been at it since I was 9. Got my first pony at 4 but I don't count that.
Thanks for the good wishes and prayers are welcomed.