5510 or 6210

/ 5510 or 6210
Bird-no he didn't. He didn't drive the tractor so he might just think it's not going to work as good as a gear transmission would. Have you had any problems with your HST transmission?
ejb-my brother was up to the Deere dealer today and he sat on both the 5310 and 5410. The 5410 was much better. He said it looked like a much stronger tractor and I told him how much you like yours. That got him thinking about the loader. He's thinking about the open station but he would like the heat and a/c for winter and summer haying. I told him that I could move the bulk of the snow at his place because he is going to be mowing my lawn. He thought that was a good idea. can you get a canopy for the 5410? Would you recomend 4wd or 2wd? I know that if he gets a loader he would probably want 4wd, but since he's going to be using it for haying and driving on the road hauling hay wagons, 2wd would probably be better. He also looked at the skid steers and he deffinately wants the 5575. It's exactly the same size dimension wise, but it can lift more and has a larger engine.He's still looking at small tractors for lawn and garden duty.
This is not about tractors but in your edit profile area and then in basic f=profile is anyone having trouble getting their information to go through.?

/ 5510 or 6210
ejb- I forgot. The price for the 6310 4wd, cab, and loader is around $70,000. That's in Canadian currency too.

/ 5510 or 6210 #23  
Vernon, I've never any kind of problem with either of my HST transmissions. I know there's a place for the other types, and some reasons for buying them, but I love the HST, especially if you're going to do much loader work, maneuvering forward and backward a lot, plus when mowing, I sometimes want to vary the speed and it's so easy to do with and HST. Anyway, I was just curious as to what someone would dislike about it. And I don't guess I've tried to edit my profile, other than the display preferences, and there was no problem with that going through.

Bird

/ 5510 or 6210 #24  
Hi Vernon,

I had a problem with the demo HST (and so do many others) until someone carefully pointed out that it was not a accelerator pedal, that if you wanted more power you lifted up and more speed pressed down. Seemed absolutely against human nature, but if you train yourself to do this it seems to work really well. Kubota's HST is smoother.

I tried the JD5310 and JD5410 and liked both well. If he buys the 5310, be sure to get the oversize tires as Deere puts too small a tire on as standard.

I liked the loader on the M8200 and M9000 but settled on the smaller M6800SD in 4WD with Loader and quick attach bucket was $27,000 U.S. It only has a 6 ft bucket where the larger tractors have 7 ft buckets with 4 bar linkage loaders and hold a lot more. I can't stall the 6 ft bucket but did not try the 7 ft.

I found no fault with the John Deere 5310 or 5410 (except green paint seems to be a little more expensive). The 5410 is considerably longer wheelbase than either the 5310 or M6800. I like the Kubota cabs visibility and flat floors a little better than the Deere Cabs, but bought the ROPS model.

Good luck.

/ 5510 or 6210 #25  
WoW! even in Canadian money, $70K is a lot of money...

I can't really recommend the 2wd versus 4wd for your brothers application cause I don't know much about his land and intended uses...if its not a lot of extra money, you can always leave the 4wd in 2wd right? My land tends to get very wet in the spring.t and there is no way I could get buy w/out 4wd, plus I have the loader so its a nobrainer for me.

/ 5510 or 6210
ejb-the $70K Canadian is about just under $50K American. There are hills and the land can get wet in my area too. About 43 acres of his land is wooded but I will be taking care of that part with my equipment. I think now that the 4wd would be the best choice, even if he doesn't use 4wd as much. He's still thinking loader and still can't decide to get ROPS or cab. The small tractor is still unknown to him. He doesn't think he needs the loader since he'll have the skid steer, but it might come in handy sometimes. One attachment he is thinking about getting is a posthole digger for his tractor. Do they work well?
I'm going to talk about my tractor for a minute too. Another perfect day of driving the 6310. I'm trying to get a good feel for it so I took my 920 hay mower and cut some hay. Even with the loader on it worked wonderful. I'd just like to say i am a proud owner of the JD 709 rotary cutter. I only had it one day at my farm but it cut so well I took a drive to my Deere dealer with my brother today and I bought it. You guys have been very helpful so far and I hope the advice never stops.

/ 5510 or 6210 #27  
No experience with the post-hole attachment, but I have had my eye out for one as well. My biggest concern is that JD5410 may be too powerful for some posthole diggers...one thing I have found so far is that once you buy a tractor in this size, EVERTHING is more expensive for it...that is if you don't want to destroy it.

Glad to hear you are happy so far with your decisions...keep us posted.

/ 5510 or 6210 #28  
Does a post hole digger work well? Yes. Of course, like all the other implements, there are light duty models and heavy duty models, shear pins and slip clutches, soft easy ground to drill into and hard rocky ground, so some of them work better than others and they work better in some kinds of soil than others. But it sure beats digging them by hand./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ 5510 or 6210 #29  
ejb

The post hole diggers are only as powerful as the slip clutch lets them be. Many will handle this size tractor. The Danuser is probably the best known heavy duty model. I have broke the ears off some of the light duty ones. Interestingly, the biggest problem is usually not the digger at all, but the auger. A really heavy duty auger is essential for all but the best of soils. A little company in Texas called Bel Tec builds some of the heaviest duty augers and they build to fit most standard heavy duty model post hole diggers. Many so called heavy duty augers aren't. Some brands of diggers are NOT designed to be used at full PTO speed. Those with a shear pin will work just fine, it just a pain to hit rock and spend all of your time replacing shear pins. Conversely the slip clutches have to be serviced a couple of times during the year and work better if protected from the weather. Augers are used every day on over 100 HP tractors so you should have no problems finding one.

If you happen to have rocky soil there is an expensive solution that only works for 65 hp and up tractors that will drill postholes in chunk rock soil or solid rock.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by wen on 6/30/00 12:26 PM.</FONT></P>

/ 5510 or 6210 #30  
>>If you happen to have rocky soil.

My land is VERY rocky unfortunately...a neighbor of mine, about 15 miles away has similar problem and needed to put in a lot of fence posts (many thousands), to control a pretty big population of animals...he ended needed to use a jackhammer to get a lot of his posts in.

What is that other solution you were referring to?