5510 or 6210

/ 5510 or 6210
No we didn't win the lotery, but I used to have dairy cows and no one in my family seemed to want to farm like I do so I sold my cows and the quota. I don't know if you knew this but in Canada we have a quota sistem and I got good money off of that so we are kind of going in together. I decided I'm not getting a skid steer. It would be a while before it would pay for itself so my brother and I decided that if I need his skid steer then he can use my equipment in return. we also are thinking that since we both need to have something to mow our lawns we will split the cost between ourselves. Now you got us thinking about between the 4100 and 4300 series tractrs. What are the 300 or 400 series JD lawn/garden tractors like? ejb you are a lot of help and I would like to thank you for it. How is your tractor working for you lately? I hope it's good.

/ 5510 or 6210 #42  
My tractor is great, this time of year about all I do in my free time is mow, and with all the rain I have had (New England) it has been next to impossible to catch up. I have yet to have my entire place mowed all at once (one of my fields hasn't been mowed yet this year!)

I did manage to get a great deal done over the 4th weekend, and now I have hooked up my 3pt chipper (Woods 8100), which is one of my favorite uses for my tractor...we have only been in this house a little ovre a year and it is a bit overgrown from what I picture it used to look like...little by little I am trying to liberate some long-forgotten rock walls from the overgrown edges of the fields and also put in some trails/roads thru the woods so I can walk/run/ski/snowmobile them in the appropriate wether.

Once the really hot days get here and the grass growing slows down I should be able to get back in the woods.

Glad I could be of some help. Can't be much assistance on the smaller JD machines, no experience with them.

/ 5510 or 6210
It's been raining quite a lot here in the Maritimes too. Haven't had time to put up any hay so I have just been helping my brother. He loves his 5410 and if he had gone smaller we would have had to use my 6310 to move some of the stuff he has moved because the ground is soft and you need as much traction and horsepower you can get.
I didn't know Woods made brush chippers. The ones I like are at http://www.vermeer.com/equipment/brush_chippers/ . Have you seen the ones you can get to go on skid steers. I don't know if you can get them for JD's but Bobcat has one for their skid steers. You could get into some small places with one of those. I'm not looking to get a chipper now but one would come in handy. Do you like your chipper? Have fun with your tractor this weekend!

/ 5510 or 6210 #44  
I love my chipper...it is my favorite implement, and probably the most useful on my propery. I went all out when I bought one, and this one will take a full 8inch log with the hydraulic feeder and spit it out in no time...not that I chip much 8 inch material, but when you have a 4 inch tree to get rid of, you don't have to trim all the branches off first...pulls it right in. I can go out and do a full days worth of work in about an hour if you factor in how much time it takes to dispose of saplings and brush when you cut them down (where I live, you can't just burn any time you want).

I have plans to put in some hiking trails though my property and it will be nice to be able to clean up what is left over after you cut your way through.

It wasn't cheap, but this one should last me a life-time ...I hope.

/ 5510 or 6210 #45  
2000-07-08

If any of you JD Ten series guys are interested, this guy had a JD brand add on cab as of last winter, contact him for further info if interested (I think he used to be a regular on this list as well):

Terry Weivoda
Hoolagons@aol.com
507-282-9492
------
If someone wants a utility grade (57-80 hp) cab tractor to take into to the woods, check out one like my NH TN90F, with its small size but utility power. Supersteer will out manuever (can't spell today) any of the ones you all have discussed here. 'Course the paint is <font color=blue>BLUE</font color=blue>!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Jim

/ 5510 or 6210
That supersteer would work great in the woods. What is the steering angle on your TN90F? I've seen people using the Landini vineyard tractors in the woods around in NB. They should work great because they are so small.

/ 5510 or 6210 #47  
2000-07-09

I believe the max turning angle is 76 degrees, such that my new Blue can actually turn around in less than its own length.

JD makes a vineyard machine in the 6000 line (is it made in Europe?), but no supersteer and no traction management (4wd on demand).

Good luck with your 6210. Does it have the Starship like lighting display in the cab that I saw at a local dealer recently (showing which exterior lights are on, using the outline of the tractor as a diagram)?

Jim

/ 5510 or 6210
It does have the light display panel. I like it because you can choose what lights you are using for different things. JD makes the 6010 series orchard tractors. They also make just a low clearance model.

/ 5510 or 6210
My brother and I decided that we will got together and buy a JD 4000 series.We just aren't sure what model we need or want. I don't have a lot of mowing but he will have quite a bit. He's not going to mow pastures or anything but he will have more grass than I do. Plus we will be putting in a garden next year togheter so we'll need it to till. We want 4wd but we want tires with less bite than the r4's so we are thinking industrial. We might get the loader or blade. HST is nice but we think gear would be better if we use it for more than just mowing.

/ 5510 or 6210 #50  
Vernon - R4's are industrial tires. Perhaps you meant R1, which are the typical ag tires.

I'm curious as to what the connection between getting an HST and mowing is, though. Or perhaps I'm more curious as to what the reason is for getting a gear transmission if you plan to "use if for more than just mowing".

Mark