5E front weight input

/ 5E front weight input #11  
Crap! I was hoping you guys would say that bracket was easy to put on and cheap. Oh silly me.
So what is up with this bracket?
4001 Tractor Weight Bracket
or this one...
4005-1 Tractor Weight Bracket
or the ones from these guys
Lonestar Wheel Weights

First one looks like it would be easy to install. Top two bolt holes are key holed, so you install two bolts on the tractor, hang the weight and install bottom bolts and tighten all four bolts. Weight is less than JD 90KG (198lbs), so likely cast with more voids then JD. I think the "knob" on the bottom takes the place of the pin JD uses with suitcase weights.

Second one looks like a copy of the 110KG (220lbs) JD weight. I can't tell from the picture if the top bolt holes are key holes or not. Or if it has the "knob" cast at the bottom. Weight is less than JD, so it to must have more voids.

Third looks like it is fabricated from steel, not cast iron. So weight is much lower. With the lower weight it should be easy to bolt on.

With all the tractor models listed for the first and second one, it leads me to believe these tractors have the same bolt pattern.

My tractor (JD6415) came with the 90KG (198lbs) front weight. I bought some JD suitcase weights used, they were a package deal, so I got a 110KG (220lbs) front weight, the pin, 8 suitcase weights and hardware for the suitcase weights. I do not remember if it had the four bolts to install the front weight on the tractor. If you need pictures LMK

Main reason these are not cheap to buy is they are heavy and must be shipped via freight. It does say if you also buy at least 1000lbs of suitcase weights, first and second one ship free.

I would sell either the 90KG or 110KG JD front weight for $200 plus shipping or picked up. Both are factory JD weights.

/ 5E front weight input #12  
IF my loader comes off the 4 weights go on. Just has been a habit of mine.

/ 5E front weight input #13  
IF my loader comes off the 4 weights go on. Just has been a habit of mine.

Did you find the front end light if you did not put the four weights on? Or did you not use it without front weights?

/ 5E front weight input #14  
Well the only heavy 3pt implment that I have that is heavy is a MX 10 . From my understanding, JD utility tractors are notoriously light in the front end without a loader, and i usually take it off for manuverability or to reduce the pounding it takes going across a field. That usually involves some discing, brushhogging, or mowing with the 499 which is very tongue heavy and I never want my front end to come off the ground so the weights go on without a 2nd thought since thats the only time I really take the loader off.

/ 5E front weight input #15  
I would run your tractor without them to see if you need them. I have never needed front weights for anything so far. The front ends are pretty heavy on these tractors. I weighed my tractor without a bucket on it, and just the loader itself, and the front end was heavier than the back end. I did not weigh it without the loader, but I think it would still pretty heavy without weights.
My thinking is that if you don't need the weight, leave it off, and run as light as you can get away with, so you don't compact the soil anymore than you have to and use less fuel. No sense dragging around weight that you don't need.

/ 5E front weight input
Not sure what I am going to do just yet. I might just put the mount on it and see how it works.

D.

/ 5E front weight input
Yeah - those weights are not cheap. Also, putting them on and off doesn't seem like much fun.

D.

/ 5E front weight input #19  
I just got a used cast iron starter weight and two suitcase weights for my 5203 at a local tractor salvage, the weights were $45 apiece and the starter weight was $100. Not to bad considering what new ones cost.

Richard

/ 5E front weight input #20  
I just got a used cast iron starter weight and two suitcase weights for my 5203 at a local tractor salvage, the weights were $45 apiece and the starter weight was $100. Not to bad considering what new ones cost.

Richard

You got a deal/steal, about 50% of what I am selling used sell for.