60 gallon air compressor

/ 60 gallon air compressor #21  
you CAN push a GOOD single stage higher than 125 PSI BUT it looses a lot of effective pumping at the higher PSI V a 2 stage pump, as to the CHEAP oil less units they are VERY noisy along with inefficient, just look at how long they run V a GOOD single stage. have you had one apart, I don't see how you could build it any cheaper and it still work. IMHO the only thing they are good for is a small pancake carry around unit for an air nailer and pumping up tire's:laughing:

Bill, I'd agree that a 2-stage would be preferable, but my current 30 gallon "Industrial Air by Coleman Powermate" is a single stage vertical 2-cylinder that kicks on at 125 and off between 150-155 psi. It's used a great deal and sometimes run continuously for pretty long periods of time and has never given me trouble at all. Of course, it only turns 6 years old this month.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #22  
you CAN push a GOOD single stage higher than 125 PSI BUT it looses a lot of effective pumping at the higher PSI V a 2 stage pump, as to the CHEAP oil less units they are VERY noisy along with inefficient, just look at how long they run V a GOOD single stage. have you had one apart, I don't see how you could build it any cheaper and it still work. IMHO the only thing they are good for is a small pancake carry around unit for an air nailer and pumping up tire's:laughing:

Oh, I know the 2 stage would be more efficient, but also cost more money. As for the oilless, we've discussed that a lot on TBN, and yes, I've some experience with rebuilding them; broken reed valves, teflon lining worn off the "cylinder" (which is nothing more than a thin aluminum cup), cooling fan torn off the screws that held it on, etc. As I've said in the past, the best thing about an oilless is how easy it is to rebuild it, which you will likely need to do.:laughing:

/ 60 gallon air compressor #23  
Do you think that one man could handle taking an IR off the pallet and mount in to the floor by myself?

NO - I tried this and it was a disaster! i tried to "walk" the compressor off the pallet and because it's top heavy, it started to tip and i could not stop it. luckily the top part caught the wall next to me or hit would have hit the floor hard with me under it. I had to call a buddy and we both stranded to right it back up.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #24  
Do you think that one man could handle taking an IR off the pallet and mount in to the floor by myself?

I've known some men that I believe would have been strong enough to do that, but I'm not one of them.;)

/ 60 gallon air compressor #25  
When I walked it off it was to a 1" lower area and then another... I arranged a stack of 4' x 4' half sheets of plywood 1" inch thick to do the job...

Now getting up a flight of stairs alone was my real problem... luckily it was easy to breakdown the components...

Laid the bare tank on it's side and slid it up the carpeted steps pushing it one step at a time.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #26  
Buy an Ingersoll Rand ...US made a little pricey but I have had mine for 42 years with only slight repairs.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #27  
Here's my philosophy: Buy a cheap one, use it until it dies, then buy another cheap one.

One of two things is very likely to happen:

a) it lasts a lot longer than you ever thought it would and does a good enough job.

b) you don't use it nearly as much as you thought you might and it lasts longer than you do.

In either case you will save money.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #28  
Do you think that one man could handle taking an IR off the pallet and mount it to the floor by myself?

One man could handle it if he uses his tractor to lift it. Very top heavy and awkward. I left mine right on the shipping pallet. Hasn't moved in 3 years. Previous compressor was on its pallet for over 20 years.

/ 60 gallon air compressor #29  
Here's my philosophy: Buy a cheap one, use it until it dies, then buy another cheap one.

a) it lasts a lot longer than you ever thought it would and does a good enough job.

b) you don't use it nearly as much as you thought you might and it lasts longer than you do.

I agree. I bought a 5 HP sears back in 1980 something. I thought the same thing and knock on wood but its still going strong had to replace the belt once, even then it was because it stretched out..Just my 3 cents worth

/ 60 gallon air compressor #30  

Or a third thing happens.

c) You use it more for more things than you initially thought of, it lasts a little longer than the warranty and dies. Then you have to dispose of the old one, go shopping, find a replacement and then set up the new one.

In this case you have wasted time and money. Been there done that.