74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage?

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #61  
Morning folks..

I'm retired and want to build a garage with a apartment myself.. I used to do hvac and maintenance so I know a little about construction and Ive been reading.. No building inspections in my remote area of Iowa.

So I'm going back and forth about what machine would be the most versatile on my tiny acreage.. I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas, but that the back hoe tractor (Case 580 4x4) could do more, but slower, bigger.. But it has a backhoe and a bucket..

I'm probably wrong about this but picked two machines that use the 4bt engine I like..

Opinions? Real life experiences?

Thanks!

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #62  
74 HP is a very large tractor. You didn't mention the size of your tiny acreage. Consider a pre built model or Apartment beside the Garage, not above it. Many advantages. Think protecting plumbing in Winter etc.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #63  
For me a skid steer is way too difficult to get in and out of for chores. I often use loader controls from the ground rather than climbing on and off the tractor as I am usually alone. If you have a helper to do the ground work so you can stay in the seat for 10-15 minutes at a time it is a different calculus.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #64  
I have a JD 110TLB backhoe and a NH C238 compact tracked loader (as well as a Kubota 8560 tractor w/FEL).

The backhoe is the most versatile, and although I never remove the hoe since I have 3PT/PTO on the Kubota, I find that anytime I want to scoop, fork, grade, dig, etc., the backhoe is first choice. It is literally the prime mover equivalent of a pocket knife that you never want to be without.

Others have offered good input, so here's one point I haven't seen mentioned. If you're considering a skid steer / CTL with a cab, be aware of the nuisance of needing to get out of and back into the vehicle for whatever reason, such as opening a gate. I find the CTL compares poorly to both the open station TLB and the cabbed Kubota tractor for ease of egress/ingress. The CTL must have the arms raised to move, and they must be completely lowered to open the cab. Then, the steps in and out of the cab can be tricky depending what attachment you have mounted.

So, if you have livestock of any kind, you'll have gates and fences. Just something to think about.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #65  
Morning folks..

I'm retired and want to build a garage with a apartment myself.. I used to do hvac and maintenance so I know a little about construction and Ive been reading.. No building inspections in my remote area of Iowa.

So I'm going back and forth about what machine would be the most versatile on my tiny acreage.. I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas, but that the back hoe tractor (Case 580 4x4) could do more, but slower, bigger.. But it has a backhoe and a bucket..

I'm probably wrong about this but picked two machines that use the 4bt engine I like..

Thanks!
I don't usually reply to these debates, just a waste of time and a whole lot of opinioneering. One post that said to make a list of what you want to do and candidate machines to see what fits best is a good suggestion. You did not say how big your place is and what else you want to do.

I have multiple pieces of equipment but if I could have just one machine it would be my utility tractor, the CaseIH 50A.
The 4BT is a good engine but I would not let that be my limiting criteria.
I have had a skid steer, sold it. Too rough, tears up too much ground, it was tracked, front entry is not good when lifting as a one man operation, not good for a fellow getting older either. I work a lot with forks and you can't get out well over a big load.
A TLB will not do pto work and neither will a skid steer without an attachment.
Footings, trenching and the like, a one time thing, rent a small excavator.
Do you need to clear? If much hire it done, you'll just tear up small equipment and be frustrated.
If you must have a piece of equipment, not an ag tractor, a small TLB would be my choice. The little Kubotas are good and have frame mounted backhoes. I also had a JD 4600 that had a good frame mounted backhoe that came off easily so you could do PTO work. You can move a mountain with a tea spoon if you have enough time.
I would steer clear of 3 point mounted backhoes unless you expect to use it very lightly and have no big rocks.
I have a JCB 210S, not really small, not really big but very maneuverable and capable. It can be a repair nightmare though because the Brits like to make things as complicated as they can.
Whatever you get, get it with or convert it to a skid steer hitch on the front with a third valve if you expect to grapple, post hole dig or things like that. I build my third valves for the front and back, not difficult and saves a lot of money.
One of the handiest pieces of equipment I have is my old high hour crippled Schaeff SKL 831 articulated loader with a skid steer adapter. I use it all the time but when the oil gets hot it turns into a pig. Something you may want to consider in the skid steer, they all have hydrostatic transmissions and while they usually work a long time they do get worn out and they are VERY expensive to work on.

Make a list or table and see what best fits your needs on paper. I still don't like skid steers for what I do but it may be just what you need. Tracked are a bit more expensive than wheeled but I think worth it.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #66  
Thanks guys.. 4x4 is a must have..

So your suggesting a tractor with a 3 point and pto that mounts a rented backhoe? Don't think there are any available with the 4bt (4T-390) , but I'm all ears for a good setup.. Thanks
No doubt the Cummins is a good engine but I would not get hung up on it, there are others and it puts you in the category of a pretty large piece of equipment if your place is small. I wouldn't get hung up on it. If you get a machine that doesn't have a computer, DEF or regen a diesel is a diesel if it is a good one and there are many. The little Yanmars are just about bullet proof, some of the Kubotas can have cooling problems. These alternatives put you in a bigger market with more choices.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #67  
I don't think there is one piece of machinery that does it all well. I have 3 machines that all have their specialties. 2 of them share QA attachments. None of them is a backhoe. But digging trenches or stumps is not something I need to do often. They do make a backhoe attachment for the SS, but not on my list unless one falls into my lap. You may do well with a good tractor and a mini-excavator for digging footings etc. A capable forklift in an invaluable piece of equipment on my ranch.
It really does depend upon your needs.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #68  
Morning folks..

Thanks!
I own a small Kubota tractor with a backhoe (that I only install when I need it, most of the time it’s stored), and run a skid steer at work fairly often. I don’t ever see a time that I would need / want a skid steer at home. Wouldn’t ever give up my tractor however. Extremely versatile.
When you are fully into your building project, you may find renting a small / medium sized excavator may make sense if you need to do a lot of digging. Much faster than a backhoe. But I think the tractor makes more sense to own in the long run.
My 2 cents.
Obviously it really depends on what you need to do.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #69  
I think the skid (Case 95XT) would build a stick built garage faster and fit into small areas

I'm not clear on how a tractor or a skid steer 'builds' a two-story garage.

Are you planning a monolithic foundation? For that the back hoe with the right size bucket would seem practical. You want to trench around the perimeter and to bury utilities from the house to the 'garage.' But, after that, what would you need a backhoe for?

I know they poured the slab for my barn (one-story 16 x 36 +/-) by hand with a little help from my little Kubota b7800 with a couple loads of gravel. As I only ran electric to it, the trench only had to be about 6" x 24" x 30' and that was dug by hand.

If you are paying cash for a piece of equipment that sits still more than it runs . . . well with lost interest and depreciation it wouldn't take long to cover the rental.

I suspect you are not planning on building a garage a year. So i would suggest you consider what you would need [the equipment] to do after the slab is poured.

Then ask the question again . . .

If it turns out you can't rent equipment economically in your 'remote' location, consider farming out the foundation work and build on top of that.

/ 74 hp skid vs 74 hp hoe for building tiny acreage? #70  
A
Lifetime of construction and small farm ownership. Backhoe/loader all the way. Much more versatile. Skidsteer great for tight quarters and hard ground. They're almost useless on really soft ground. Excavavators mice but limited use and mobility.
4wd nice but not really necessary unless your ground is really steep or wet. A small farm tractor or large garden tractor with mower is much more useful for pulling wagons and stuff around. I have 23 acres with flat, extremely steep, wet and dry areas so cover all the possibilities. I also have had
about every kind of tractor and dozer you can name and really more tractors than I need but just acquired over 70 + years. Once you have a backhoe you'll never know how you got along without it. Sometimes I might not use it more than a couple times a year. But, when you need it it's there. I have the 580 Case backhoe/loader, the family pet. B model Allis Chalmers with a cobbed on loader, 2n Ford that rarely is used and will probably sell and a large 399 100hp Massey Ferguson Ferguson 4wd with 8ft bushhog, full forestry cage, skidplate and 50 ton winch and nearly new emgine that I bought for half the price of the small 4wd I was looking for. That I have set up with blade for dozing and plowing my 350 ft steep 350 driveway and 7 ft snowblower which can be front or rear mounted. Just regular MTD and
Cub lawn mowers so I'm about equipped for anything.
If you have just a small place, you don't need all that but ask most anyone that's got a backhoe and 9 out of ten wouldn't be without it.
Boy that little short statement turned into an essay??? Especially since I'm selling out and moving to Florida this year !!

Smiley

Last edited: