80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon
The mechanical shuttle transmissions from case uses a dry clutch at the engine but also uses wet clutch packs inside the transmission. Unless they changed the design from the 895 series. I've rebuilt the ones on an 895 before. Not a hard job but requires a split. If I remember right it was a $400-600 job.

You might try adjusting the dry clutch first.

Agree, I would adjust the dry clutch first.

It's been working ok lately so I haven't investigated further but I did look behind the panel and was surprised to not see any linkage or cables, just what appeared to be an electrical relay of some sort. As soon as it starts acting up I'll get into it further.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #82  
PGE came in and pulled the wire so we now have power. Keep in mind that I commercial fish for a living so I am gone 7-8 months a year, my wife is a city girl (that's where we live now) and it was hard enough to get her to move out there. I do have plans for a back up generator wired to the house in the event of a prolonged power outage. There was little hope she would agree to move out there with the idea that she could suddenly be in the dark for hours or days and I'm at sea, especially now that the game camera's are coming back with pictures of Bear and Cougars on them.

It's been awhile but I did make some progress while I was gone. I took months just to get PGE to finish up the plans. I went with 320A single phase service underground, a total of 4 pull vaults and a pad with one extra run of conduit. 2 of the pull vaults can be branched off of in the future. Total distance was 2500' and a price tag of 37K. The wire and transformer were 18 and because I wanted it dug in before I got home I went with a contractor, so that was another 19 for excavation, vaults and conduit. They are already finished with the install and I had my girlfriend get some pictures. So my first project is to get the drive way straightened up and put gravel down so PGE can come in and pull the wire and set the transformer and hook up temporary power. The contractor got ahold of the phone company to see if they wanted to put anything in the trench but they claimed the existing line was put in not long ago and when he got close to or crossed it he seen that they actually ran extra conduit with the direct buried phone line.

I just found this thread tonight and read it through from the start. Beautiful property, and great work so far. Looks like you are almost 2 yrs into it, and can now get serious about the house part. I've been building mine for the last 2+ yrs, and we are finally moving in in a week and a half. Only 10 ac, but it has been a long tiring process doing that while working full time too. It is a ton of work, and my hat is off to you for all the effort you have put in already!

:D But I couldn't resist this... Reading it through from start to finish all at once, I notice you call her your GF in one post and your wife in another, back and forth. Unless you are talking about 2 different people!:D:laughing::shocked::jester:

Keep up the good work! Subscribed!

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #83  
Bridge of the gods,,,, you are just down the road from us. beautiful area.

For backup generator, we have been seeing a lot of interest moving toward Musks whole house batteries. Might be something to look at there.

Looking forward to how this process goes for you.

I just found this thread tonight and read it through from the start. Beautiful property, and great work so far. Looks like you are almost 2 yrs into it, and can now get serious about the house part. I've been building mine for the last 2+ yrs, and we are finally moving in in a week and a half. Only 10 ac, but it has been a long tiring process doing that while working full time too. It is a ton of work, and my hat is off to you for all the effort you have put in already!

:D But I couldn't resist this... Reading it through from start to finish all at once, I notice you call her your GF in one post and your wife in another, back and forth. Unless you are talking about 2 different people!:D:laughing::shocked::jester:

Keep up the good work! Subscribed!

There's only one. Technically she's my girlfriend, but because Oregon is a common law state after 7 years she gets half regardless, so that pretty much makes her my wife. We just haven't had any desire to get married legally, and we've been together 15 years. Thanks to the LBGT movement though I was able to get on her insurance as domestic partners for a couple years when I switched company's.

Congrats on finally moving in. We still haven't got the stamped plans back yet. We found them online but made some modifications and it's taken 5 weeks so far and then we find out that in Oregon you have to have a structural engineer review the plans for wind sheer and such and approve them, then it's off to get some bids. I was going to pull a permit to build so I could tear down the old house and put the shop up but you have to be done building 1 year after the old residence is removed or face the possibility of them not letting you build a new residence. The risk of getting caught is probably nil but i'm not taking any chances, the 40 acres the house is on is zoned Timber and they have pretty strict zoning laws.

Last edited:
So while we've been waiting for the houseplans I finished cleaning up a section of field cut out in the trees. It will be where the future food plot will be. This is the area where I have seen the most consistent wildlife activity on the camera, Elk, Deer, and Bear. There are 5 mature apple trees, I thought there was 8 but looking closer at three of them they are actually Walnut trees. Just kept thinking they were weird looking apples cause they are green.

Then to my surprise underneath blackberries there is an old foundation, looks to me like it burned down. Weird part is the county has no record of a residence there.

For some reason I can't upload new photos, tried for an hour last night and half hour just now... I'll get them up ASAP.

So while we've been waiting for the houseplans I finished cleaning up a section of field cut out in the trees. It will be where the future food plot will be. This is the area where I have seen the most consistent wildlife activity on the camera, Elk, Deer, and Bear. There are 5 mature apple trees, I thought there was 8 but looking closer at three of them they are actually Walnut trees. Just kept thinking they were weird looking apples cause they are green.

Then to my surprise underneath blackberries there is an old foundation, looks to me like it burned down. Weird part is the county has no record of a residence there.

For some reason I can't upload new photos, tried for an hour last night and half hour just now... I'll get them up ASAP.

Back in action - First two are before's and second two are after's not quite from the same angle but hopefully close enough.

Attachments

• DSC00911.jpg
    DSC00911.jpg
    825.4 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC00926.jpg
    DSC00926.jpg
    630.2 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC01024.jpg
    DSC01024.jpg
    648.2 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01025.jpg
    DSC01025.jpg
    979.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
I have pretty much finished the driveway finally. There will be some touch-ups and some minor grading but at least I can get to the building site year round. I'm just going to post up the second half of the driveway as I didn't do anything else to the first half. I ended up taking out a couple more stumps from the uphill side and took some dirt out to fill the downhill side, wasn't real happy with the little turns in it so now it's a little straighter.

Attachments

• DSC01053.jpg
    DSC01053.jpg
    814.3 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01052.jpg
    DSC01052.jpg
    714.7 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC01051.jpg
    DSC01051.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01050.jpg
    DSC01050.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC01049.jpg
    DSC01049.jpg
    782.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC00961.jpg
    DSC00961.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC00957.jpg
    DSC00957.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC00956.jpg
    DSC00956.jpg
    651.5 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC00980.jpg
    DSC00980.jpg
    976.3 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01023.jpg
    DSC01023.jpg
    766 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC01027.jpg
    DSC01027.jpg
    769.8 KB · Views: 143
  • DSC00927.jpg
    DSC00927.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC00962.jpg
    DSC00962.jpg
    797.4 KB · Views: 149
   / 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #89  
I have pretty much finished the driveway finally. There will be some touch-ups and some minor grading but at least I can get to the building site year round. I'm just going to post up the second half of the driveway as I didn't do anything else to the first half. I ended up taking out a couple more stumps from the uphill side and took some dirt out to fill the downhill side, wasn't real happy with the little turns in it so now it's a little straighter.
wow!!

Can't quite figure out how to do text, pictures, text so i'll just do it in sections. The hill was pretty tough for the trucks to get up after laying fresh gravel so they had to drive in, spread on the way out. Then I'd water before the next truck came in so he'd pack it down, got it done without anyone getting stuck. I've got extra to fill in some low spots. Out of all the equipment the John Deere 3038e with the box blade got the most use putting the gravel down. I bought the sprayer about a year ago to battle the blackberries, more on that coming up.

Attachments

• DSC01033.jpg
    DSC01033.jpg
    955.2 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01037.jpg
    DSC01037.jpg
    787.2 KB · Views: 211
  • DSC01039.jpg
    DSC01039.jpg
    906.9 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC01045.jpg
    DSC01045.jpg