80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon
The John Deere just wasn't big enough any more to maintain the fields, now that they have been cut they are filling in and getting thicker. Been watching for a decent price on a larger tractor and found one. 2007 JX1090U, pallet forks and a bucket.

I also found a 13' Verisimo flail mower for $2000 in good condition. Had the scoop knives on it so I spent $300 and replaced them with heavy duty side knives. Now it only takes 6hrs to cut the fields instead of 3 days.

Attachments

• DSC01019.jpg
    DSC01019.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0242.jpg
    IMG_0242.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 305
   / 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #72  
Nice looking case! 13' is a large mower, is it solid or is there one or more pivot points to allow it to follow the ground?

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #73  
The John Deere just wasn't big enough any more to maintain the fields, now that they have been cut they are filling in and getting thicker. Been watching for a decent price on a larger tractor and found one. 2007 JX1090U, pallet forks and a bucket.

I also found a 13' Verisimo flail mower for $2000 in good condition. Had the scoop knives on it so I spent $300 and replaced them with heavy duty side knives. Now it only takes 6hrs to cut the fields instead of 3 days.

you will need all that to maintain an MX track. How far inland from the coast are you?

you will need all that to maintain an MX track. How far inland from the coast are you?

85 miles as a crow flies. On the West side of the cascade range, 3/4 of the property borders private timberland which borders Mt Hood National so there's no shortage of wildlife. Almost filled my cougar tag a few days ago, If we were allowed to use dogs i would have, just can't run fast enough.

Nice looking case! 13' is a large mower, is it solid or is there one or more pivot points to allow it to follow the ground?

Solid drums so it has to be somewhat flat to get a even cut, i just needed something to keep up the fields until I recondition them and start haying it. 40 acres was already in tax deferment when purchased so I have to at least keep the appearance that it is being farmed otherwise the tax man gets 7 years of back taxes.

Happy with the Case so far, 85hp at the pto and 6000 lb lift at 3pt so I don't think i'll end up needing anything bigger. I was looking at 50-65 hp tractors but some round balers use that minimum and if I end up having to turn the field over or decide at some point to do an annual crop the Case would handle it. Might be a little much for hay but too much is better than not enough.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #76  
You care to give us some more details on the new Case? Hours? Transmission? Price?

Good looking tractor and cutter.

Here's another thread about the tractor - http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/case-ih/337975-2007-jx1090u.html

2500 hrs, $29,000, Synchronized shuttle dry disc 12 F/R. I have been having some issues with clutch engagement so I may go from "Happy to Unhappy"

The seller was a Nursery/Produce farm that was going out of business. I was 50/50 on whether they just wanted it gone or there was something wrong with it. When I drove it around for about a half an hour there wasn't any noticeable clutch issues, they didn't start for about 2 weeks after I got it home.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #78  
The mechanical shuttle transmissions from case uses a dry clutch at the engine but also uses wet clutch packs inside the transmission. Unless they changed the design from the 895 series. I've rebuilt the ones on an 895 before. Not a hard job but requires a split. If I remember right it was a $400-600 job.

You might try adjusting the dry clutch first.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #79  
The mechanical shuttle transmissions from case uses a dry clutch at the engine but also uses wet clutch packs inside the transmission. Unless they changed the design from the 895 series. I've rebuilt the ones on an 895 before. Not a hard job but requires a split. If I remember right it was a $400-600 job.

You might try adjusting the dry clutch first.

Agree, I would adjust the dry clutch first.

/ 80 Acres- Eagle Creek, Oregon #80  
PGE came in and pulled the wire so we now have power. Keep in mind that I commercial fish for a living so I am gone 7-8 months a year, my wife is a city girl (that's where we live now) and it was hard enough to get her to move out there. I do have plans for a back up generator wired to the house in the event of a prolonged power outage. There was little hope she would agree to move out there with the idea that she could suddenly be in the dark for hours or days and I'm at sea, especially now that the game camera's are coming back with pictures of Bear and Cougars on them.
View attachment 433411

I could always add solar after the house and shop are built, but there was no way I am going to spend a year of hard work, fuel for the equipment, pulling stumps, grading, 2500' of gravel and after everything is built, asphalt - to dig it up. I know that's how the govt and city's like to operate - spend the money paving a street just to have someone come in a week later and tear it up putting in a new sewer line.

I'm going to be putting down the rest of the gravel in the next week or two, new pics soon after.

I will also mention the house alone is going to be 3800 sq ft, not sure if you can cool that much house off of solar? Our last electrical bill averaged out to 10 cents a Kwh, with the temps the last three weeks between 85-95 our air conditioner has been running steady but our electric bill was $250, not sure how that compares around the country but to me that's acceptable. What isn't acceptable is the city of Portlands water and sewer rates, over $400 for a month!! They keep raising them to pay for "bike paths" while the potholes keep getting bigger and deeper. Supposedly the water and sewer rates are supposed to pay for upkeep of the streets.

$400/month for water sewer!!!! is that even real? How can the middle income people ( i put myself in that block) pay those kind of rates!!!!!!

And no it might be tough to cool that size house without a half acre of solar!!!

Your cooling about 1000= more sqfeet than me for the same or less money and i bet your house is cooler than mine. Oh and our power here in SC is $0.15+kwh.