A better way to kill moles and gophers?

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #21  
Must have been M-80s, Black Cats wouldn't do much other than make noise. Can you even buy M-80s anymore?
Last ones I saw/bought were in Tijuana before 9/11

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #22  
A guy told me he uses carbide pellets. When damp it produces acetylene gas I guess. He said it will kill them w/o lighting, but it isn't half as fun.

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #23  
Must have been M-80s, Black Cats wouldn't do much other than make noise. Can you even buy M-80s anymore?

Last ones I saw/bought were in Tijuana before 9/11
In part you can thank me and my heathen buddies for inability to buy powerful fireworks now days.
We drilled a hole for fuse in 1.5" pipe ,screwed a cap on pipe,packed it with black walnuts and KA-BOOM we had ourselves a bazooka. Couple pieces of wood and baling wire for handles so one of us could hold and point it while another touched it off. The explosion was so powerful some walnut shells were busted into pieces making an impressive pattern on side of barn along with dents from whole nuts.

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #25  
That video reminded me of a rather parched yard that I saw ~ 10 years back when I went to a customer's house. I guess 2- FIVE GALLON gas cans worth of fuel were dumped down the mole holes in order to send them packing. A match was involved there too.

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #26  
That video reminded me of a rather parched yard that I saw ~ 10 years back when I went to a customer's house. I guess 2- FIVE GALLON gas cans worth of fuel were dumped down the mole holes in order to send them packing. A match was involved there too.
And likely a 12 pack or two I'm thinking...

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers?
Thanks for all of the feedback and stories. It's amazing how creative people have gotten to try to beat these things! We used to have an indoor/outdoor cat that helped, but she became coyote food (we think). Since we have kids, the new cat is now indoor only :(

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #28  
Thanks for all of the feedback and stories. It's amazing how creative people have gotten to try to beat these things! We used to have an indoor/outdoor cat that helped, but she became coyote food (we think). Since we have kids, the new cat is now indoor only :(
When kids were home I tried to keep working cats and dogs from being family pets in case they fell victim to hazards of their job. Rat Terriers I mentioned earlier are too mean by nature for kids anyhow. Electrified booby traps are effective in reducing likelihood of attacks on small animals and fowel. 60 days following when coyote and Bob cats are born I place chicken,dog,cat or whatever I want preditors to fear like the devil himself in an electrified wire cage sitting on ceramic legs. If momma gets her hair curled by an electric cat,dog or chicken I believe she will not only steer clear of them but teach her young to as well. I haven't owned a ratter in 3 years but a lady down the road feeds cats that frequent the same drainage near my house where i often hear and see coyotes. It took some convincing the first year I asked her help furnishing a decoy but she's all in now. I can't recall the last mouse or rat turd I saw in my buildings and think coyotes and cats both are responsible. It has crossed my mind to rig a watermelon for the coyotes but I decided to share in payment for their services other 11 months of year.

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #29  
In part you can thank me and my heathen buddies for inability to buy powerful fireworks now days.
We drilled a hole for fuse in 1.5" pipe ,screwed a cap on pipe,packed it with black walnuts and KA-BOOM we had ourselves a bazooka. Couple pieces of wood and baling wire for handles so one of us could hold and point it while another touched it off. The explosion was so powerful some walnut shells were busted into pieces making an impressive pattern on side of barn along with dents from whole nuts.
We would pound a piece of appropriate size water pipe in the ground on an angle, lite an M-80 pushing it with a stick down the pipe with a dead D-cell batt on top.

BOOM, and you would see the batt land in a fresh disked field a quarter mile or further away.

SR

/ A better way to kill moles and gophers? #30  
One old time effective method no longer viable is the flex tailpipe extension from car exhaust to mound…

Friends father said it worked great with his old 1950’s Plymouth…