A few dumb chainsaw questions

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #31  
Light is good. Making a fast cut is good. The 360 Stihl (got a new bar and chain on the way home from picking it up) weight is the heaviest I have used but I like it for making long logs short. It has such a large gas/oil tanks have often have my sawing at the time completed when I need fuel.

It sounds like the 261 would be a great all around saw. I want the safety chain for sure and did pay the price for a set of Stihl Kevlar chaps so to try and prevent from bleeding to death alone. Actually I have stopped using the chainsaw alone in the field.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #32  
Boy I wish we could get a dealer to sharpen chains for $4.00 around here, 6.00 is the cheapest and most around 8.00. I have been using Baileys pro chain on my 36 pro and cut 4-8 cords a year! I like those short winters when we can get them. It really depends on the mood I'm in when it comes to sharpening, sometimes file, sometimes machine grind, but yes you are wasting your time with a dull chain.
I have an old 029 that has never let me down when needed, she's getting some rest now, and a ms 440 for the big stuff. I hope I don't have to run it very often!

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #33  
I think the pro saw is worth the money if you can swing it. I have a husqvarna pro saw that is from 1992 and it still works great and has only needed minor things here or there. It's over 20 years old and there is no issue with parts at this point.

I also have an older jonsered saw (1982), it aso still runs great. However parts on that one are now hard to get, but I can still get them on ebay, though they can get pricey. However I've only ever needed 1 part (broke the chain brake).

I would get the best you can swing now and it'll last a long time. In terms of bar you can have multiple sizes if you have different types of work, but I find an 18" to be the best for all around work. It's good for most felling work, bucking and cutting firewood.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #35  
I want the safety chain for sure and did pay the price for a set of Stihl Kevlar chaps so to try and prevent from bleeding to death alone. Actually I have stopped using the chainsaw alone in the field.

My Stihl rides in the bed of my Utility Vehicle. In the UV I also keep a box of LARGE wound dressings and some very wide gauze, pre-cut in 5' lengths, both specialty items from a large drug store.

Accidents are unavoidable, although I have never had one. It is good to BE PREPARED. (I was a Boy Scout 52 years ago.)