A few dumb chainsaw questions

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #11  
Just bought a Stihl MS290 "Farm Boss" with an 18" bar at the local JD dealer. List was $389 (as I recall) but they cut me some slack. It replaces a Poulan 18" "Wild Thing" that was dieing of ethanol rot. Night and day difference between the Stihl still in the process of breaking in and the Poulan on it's best day. Wish I had gone this route years ago. BTW Stihl doubles the warranty on the saw if you buy a 6 pack of their mix oil when you buy a saw (also true with other Stihl equipment, trimmers, blowers, etc).

Since ethanol free is not an option around here, I've gone to using an additive to combat the effects of ethanol & using premium gas in the mix. Hopefully this gives the new equipment a better shot at a longer working life

Nick

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #12  
I don't think need to spend the extra money for the better saw. Doesn't soud like you are going to use it enough to matter.
A home owners will probably last as long if it is maintained properly. There just isn't that much to a chainsaw, the design has been the same for decades. Parts are available.
If you want to spend the extra money for the better saw that's fine but you could spend that money on some other stuff youll need.

I know how you feel because I felt the same way. What I found after getting the old used 360 Stihl was the lesser Stihl saws that I had owned and still own just do not do as much work and do not have the same feel. The chains on home owner grade saws just need more sharping and readjusting ALL of the time. :(

Bucking, jumping and hanging up are factors that I did not mention too. :)

Now there are many who have not business owning a profession grade chain saw. The 85 year old that sold me his 360 was buying a new easy start Stihl with what I was paying him. A $100 saw that will cut small storm limbs is all some will need. Even better for many is an electric chainsaw and they come in all grades too.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #13  
Pallets might be hard on your chain, maybe not. I have never had an issue with chain tension and my homeowner Stihl saws. I do use Stihl mix and premium gas. So far I have not had starting issues. Saws sit around until I need them so it could be a few months or half a year between uses. I have a MS 210 and a MS 310. The bigger saw is heavy. I like using the small saw when possible. Also the smaller saw probably uses less fuel. I also hand sharpen. I can't see any need for machine sharpening but maybe that is just the way I use my saws.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #14  
Brand choice is very personal. I have used Stihl and Husky and have no preference.
I have a 30 year old Homelite Super XL, at that time it was a homeowner saw, but is more like the proline saws of today. Still going strong. I also own a Stihl MS 185.

two big differences in these saws:
Weight Homelite weighs about 2x the Stihl, so they get used very differently. limbing trees, it is thhe Stihl, bucking firewood, it is the Homelite.
Fuel, the Homelite will burn just about anything. If the gas in the Stihl is olde than three months it is noticeably down on power, more than 6 months, it essentially refuses to run. My Dad's larger Husky is exactly the same, must have fresh gas to run right.

Chain sharpening -- I keep three to four chains sharp al the time. I gave up trying to do it myself and take them to someone with a grinder. The chains last just as long and they cut much, much better. If I were you I would learn how to use that grinder and then use that, exclusively.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #15  
MS261 260 026 are all an excellent light weight pro saw good power for their size. My dad still has his old 026 i cut a lot of wood with that when i was a kid. If your cutting mostly stuff less than 10" it is a good size. They will turn a 20" bar but are a slow for my taste if you load them up with big logs.
My small saw is a MS361 4.4 hp 12.3 lb head its lighter than the 362 slightly less power though 4.6 hp 13 lbd. My 361 works great with a 20" bar nicely balanced.

i believe Huskies in the range of the 362 are either lighter or have more power same is true for ms441 is 5.6 hp and 14.6 lbs ms461 6.0 hp 14.6 lbs
husky 372xp like my buddies is 5.3 hp 13.4 lb head if i had to have one saw it would be the 372XP and I'm a die hard Stihl saw fan.

My big saw is a ms660 7.0 hp 16.5 lbs
Would be very low on my list if i had to pick one saw. Its one of the highest power to weight saws on the market the 7 hp is awesome and my saw of choice when dealing with logs over about 12" or processing logs on my saw buck. It puts a smile on your face when in action but carry it around for a couple hours cutting small stuff and you'll dream for a small saw.

I believe the more power approach
good luck

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #16  
I like Xring's post. My MS210 is a bit low on power but I need a saw for cleanup, not firewood. I had a wild hair and got the MS310 which has enough power for my playing around. Xring has some sweet big boy saws.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #17  
Dad traded his gear drive McCullen (sp) for a Homelite Super XL and that had to be around early 60's and he die in 1993 owning several because he would buy for little or be given good ones by people who got too old to handle the weight. If he got a better one he used it but many were part saws. He had a mini Stihl at the end because he had quit heating with wood.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #18  
Get the Pro saw, two bars of different length, and several chains for each bar.o:thumbsup:

Be advised that chains are not created equally. Some are designed for safety. Others cut fast. If you overheat a chain chuck it or just use it for very rough work. Save chains near the end of their life span for the rough stuff.

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #19  
I have a 036 PRO Stihl that I bought used a few years back for 100, I had to clean the oiler pump up to get it working. I down sized the bar to 18" just because I have numerous chains that size. I think it is the perfect size for most cutting, and I heat entirely with wood!
I don't think there is enough difference between the homeowner and the pro in the sizes you mentioned. I use True Blue Racing Fuel in mine to get away from the ethanol in the unleaded gas, it is expensive but you aren't using that much to hurt to bad. If it is going to be sitting a lot use stabil in your gas and try to run it empty before you put it away!

/ A few dumb chainsaw questions #20  
Orcheln Farm and Hardware had some 40:1 premixed non ethanol 92 octane using synthetic 2 cycle oil they were clearing for $5 a quart. I wanted 50:1 but picked up two cans just in case. It is to be good for a couple years but do not know how old it is now. If a neighbor is hard up for saw gas I will just hand them a can maybe.