A funny call I just got.

/ A funny call I just got. #11  
Don't feel bad. I had a 95 Ford F150. The body was getting bad (rust) but it still looked decent. Had lots of new parts, ran, but the gas tanks were leaking (they had warranty though and could have been changed for free). But I had a new Explorer and didn't want to put any more money in it. So I put it at the end of my driveway with a list in the window of all the new parts in it and listed "any offer- drive away". Had one guy pull up one night and try to steal the grill out of it, then when he seen movement up at the house he took off. Next day I saw a bunch of the screws on the ground. A couple days later another guy comes along. So I go talk to him. He immediately starts arguing with me about the truck has too many miles on it.:confused: I say "hey dumb *****, can you not read. I'm not asking anything for it. You could have had it for free, I was just hoping someone would offer me $50 bucks for the brand new battery I just put in it." I told him to get lost. After a few other phone calls (also arguing with people who thought my free truck had too many miles on it, the same guy shows back up a couple days later and gives me $100 bucks for it. I couldn't believe how stupid some people are. Now when I have something I don't use or need anymore, I just add it to my collection and let it wrot up in my back yard. Too much aggrevation for me dealing with these people.:D

/ A funny call I just got. #12  
It does seem kind of silly to think that somebody thinks that they can get a mower and a tractor for $1,500, but then I'm a big believer that it never hurts to ask. Obviously some people get offended by it, but sometimes my low ball offer is the only one they get. I've offered half of the asking price of things, including homes and land. In most cases, I never hear from them again. Sometimes I do. I've also offered full price if I know it's a good deal and the person selling it is really nice. One time I bought a hot tub from a lady on craigslist. She wanted $250 for it. The tub was in great condition, but it didn't work and she said t also had a leak. I figured I could get it for $200 if I tried, but she was really nice and I knew that for her asking price, I was getting a good deal. When I picked it up, her husband helped load it. While we were doing that, the asked what I did for a living. I told them and gave them my card. About six months later, they called for me to bid on a bathroom remodel. It was a high end job and I made a good profit on it. Then her dad needed a deck built, so another good payday. Her boss needed some work done, then a friend of hers and then another friend. Her family has turned into good friends of mine, and her referrals have made me tens of thousands of dollars. I have another very custom, very fancy bathroom job coming up in July from her!!!

I had a Honda that I wanted to sell. It was just a few years old, but I had bought an SUV and didn't need it anymore. I wanted to sell it quick, so I listed it for what I owed on it. Of the calls I got, everybody wanted to low ball me and offer a few grand less then I wanted. I also didn't get very many calls and only two test rides. After that add expired, I raised the price two grand. I think I was too cheap and scared serious buyers away. At that price, I got allot more calls and sold it to the first guy that showed up to test drive it for just a little under that higher asking price.

I bought the land I live on for less the half the asking price. I've bought and flipped homes for less then half the asking price twice now. I was the only person who made an offer on those deals. Of course, they were so bad that I think everyone else who looked at them walked away, but that's just a guess.

I've also called on ads in Craigslist and the American Classifieds that were too cheap to believe just in case there were for real. The person on the phone said it was a misprint. One guy told me that it wasn't even for sale and he thought somebody was playing a joke on him. I figure it's just a phone call on my part, it can't hurt to find out and see if it's for real. What really kills me is when I call right after the ad comes out and it's already sold.

Eddie

/ A funny call I just got. #13  
I put an ad on craigslist for a dresser that a tenant left in a house I owned when they moved. I listed it real cheap $25, just to get someone to move it out the way real quick. Two weeks later, no calls. I renewed the ad and raised the price to $75 and it sold an hour later. :)

/ A funny call I just got. #14  
I have been trying to sell a metal turning lathe on CL that belonged to a friend of mine that passed on. Its a real nice little lathe and sort of specialized....for a serious hobby user. I think I have it priced fairly (but it is expensive) but....I got a few emails that ask "what is the least you will take for it". I don't respond to those guys....they are just looking to score the big hit....and get stuff for little or nothin.

Nothing wrong with that....unless your doing the selling. ;)

/ A funny call I just got. #15  
a few years back i was selling a pop up camper i had, 8 foot box simple camper had a sink, stove, table and benches. with the two slide out bunks. you cant imagine how many people asked if it had a fridge. my reply was did you look at the camper everyone said yes, my reply was then why are you asking where would they put it if i had one. this prompted me to write on the for sale sign does not have a fridge. i guess we all have our stories. i have come to hate selling anything by classifieds or by the road i try to trade in because it's not worth the aggrivation.

/ A funny call I just got. #16  
A bit off topic but related. There is a place near me where you can take just about anything, cars, boats, seedlings, livestock, you name it. They sell it for you via auction and mail you a cheque. They take a commission but what the heck. Once i took a whack of empty pots from trees we bought and hanging baskets and made $40. This is the same stuff i would normally take to the dump! And it's recycling to boot.

Some people around here are crooks too via ads and stuff. They will see an ad say for a car "Chevelle for $10,000" They will go see it and without buying it put another ad in the paper "chevelle 14,000" and try and flip.

I hate dishonesty!

/ A funny call I just got. #17  
Craigslist appears to have the biggest bargain hunters ( cheap skates ) of any site on the computer. Where else do you see every second ad ... wanted free or very cheap..... who would actually waste their time responding to this. My favorite is " I know what stuff is worth so I don't want to pay alot for this item ". Another great........ I want a car.. but I have no money, let me know what you would trade for . They should at least charge a dollar an ad to get rid of some of these losers.

/ A funny call I just got. #18  
It agravates me when you list something at a reasonable FIRM price and you still get people offering you 30% less.
People who expect me to sell them something for a give away price but were never offered that deal by anybody else agravate me.
They must not have been offered such a deal / they are shopping from me.

/ A funny call I just got.
Craigslist appears to have the biggest bargain hunters ( cheap skates ) of any site on the computer. Where else do you see every second ad ... wanted free or very cheap..... who would actually waste their time responding to this. My favorite is " I know what stuff is worth so I don't want to pay alot for this item ". Another great........ I want a car.. but I have no money, let me know what you would trade for . They should at least charge a dollar an ad to get rid of some of these losers.

I see alot of single mothers with five kids wanting someone to donate a car for free on CL. But heres the kicker it must run good, have ac, and heated leather seats.:eek: