A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #1  

Bob_In_MN

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4010
While I haven't posted for a little over three weeks (my dad always said if you don't have anything good to say--don't say anything at all), I have followed many of the discussions.

Is it my imagination or is there an increase in how quickly and how often posts turn from discussion to something near bickering? I am not directing this post at any specific person and this is not a post condeming this site--it's still the friendliest around. It just seems what used to be spirited debate now (at times) has hints of taking the discussion to a more personal level.

Then again--I may be wrong. I've been wrong before (just ask my wife).

Bob

Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #2  
Hi Bob,

You're quite perceptive, but it may not have anything to do with the folks that populate TBN and these forums. I think it's just a sign of the times. I've noticed this as well over the past 2-3 years.....ever since it seems when the economy soured, the stock market went south, the war on terrorism started, etc. It just seems many people in general (based on by interactions with others on an everyday basis in my walk in life) are moody these days (maybe due to the aforementioned reasons) and when people are moody they become grumpy and take it out on others. I think this can only be resolved with the passage of time and maybe better economic times. But, regardless, it doesn't excuse bad behavior. And....I know in my case I've had to work just a little harder in displaying patience and a bit of greater understanding with others I come across.

...Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #3  
Bob, I may have to agree that the mood has been shifting a bit. I'm reminded of the old saying "good fences make for good neighbors". Maybe we need some good fences here. I hate to mention this because theres been some discontent over it, but a bit more intervention from the moderators may keep things in check. I facilitate meetings in my profession, and I often have to end arguments before they sour the working relationship to the point that nothing can be accomplished.

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #4  
I've participated in other discussion groups on the web before. A common thing I have seen in the FAQ's is the recommendation to 'lurk' before you leap. That is to say that new members should observe the forum for some time before they join in so they can become attuned to the level of converstion and restraint. Maybe, new members are doing this and we are setting a bad example, or maybe they're not 'lurking' long enough.
If you missed my subtle point, I'm implying that some of the recent posts that inflamed the masses were made by relatively new members.
This is, by far, the most civilized, respectful, and knowledgable group on the web. Let' keep it that way !

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #5  
I believe that for the most part people are good, At times people challenge each others beliefs,,,,
People tend to seek informatiom that agrees with their own beliefs.
This is a normal thing.
There are Facts that are subjective...(depends on the individual)
And there are Facts that are objective...(this is real)
Dissonance causes change......
I feel the dissonance we see in the forums on TBN is a good thing!
We do not always agree and sometimes the threads will digress and disintegerate into a oftimes heated argument but over all we can all learn something
Mike

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #6  
One of the other big factors is the shear number of members. A couple of years ago there were probably only a few hundred active members and one could easily keep up with every post. We "knew" each other pretty well. Now there are thousands(?) of active members many of whom we don't know as well. We'll just chalk it up to growth. We're no longer a small town, we're becoming a city /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?
Deere_Collector,

I agree 100% that most people are good. I also enjoy a heated debate/discussion/argument as much as the next person. I just sensed a change in how SOME arguments were conducted. I don't want to name specific posts as I don't want appear to be singling out specific people.

rancar, Mrwurm and RobS

All good points and I think collectively explain much of what we are seeing.

Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #8  
Bob,
You are right. The tension has been increasing on the site lately. There are always some that can't let anything go, not if they can take exception to it.

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #9  
I have not been here long enough to see this or any trend for that matter. I do have to at least on some levels take exception to Mr.Wurms stance. I am not suggesting he is wrong in any way. I just Dissagree. It sounds like a bit of a look but dont touch. If a registered member has a view point that is realavant to them it should be shared. That is the very basis of a forum. Whether they have been "lurking" or not. Simply because you might not agree does not make anothers view point moot. Perhaps it would be more productive if the "masses" were more receptive to being able to dissagree...... agreeably. The one thing I have noticed here is that ANY opposition seems to inflame some, as if their is some under handed veiled intent to shut a strand down. Conspiricy theorists perhaps or maybee just a bit of a knee jerk reaction on the mouse. In any case those/theese stances in my opinion can greatly contribute to the undesired tone or lack of harmoneous balance that I would hope we all seek. IE; Its those new folks that are causeing all the trouble /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Dave

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #10  
A couple years ago the former "off topic and just for fun" forum had become mostly about religion and politics, and Muhammad had to rein it in. I have seen a little sniping lately but nothing like what was happening then. This is truly a haven of civility by Internet standards, and I sure thank everybody involved for keeping it that way!!