A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #11  
I think you are probably right, as are most of the above responses. I have seen some rude remarks and they are mostly from new members. But I also confess I have to work better at reining my own self in. I have a sort of short smart-alec humor that might offend some. If I have I apologize. No harm was intended.

This is by far the best forum there is. I visit a newsgroup occassionally that discusses campers. It reeks of rude politics, trolls, and perverts. And it's too bad, because there are some good people there.

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #12  
I think you're right, but I haven't seen anything that needs moderator intervention. There are some of the newer posters that are a little thin-skinned and defensive at times, but this is not to say they don't have a lot to contribute. If we all agreed 100% on everything this would be a pretty boring board. I always try to think about what I would say if I was face to face with the poster. Overall, the tone is still pretty civil on here.

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #13  
Toughen up ladies! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Geez, this is the most restained forum I've ever seen and we need it to become more subdued? What are we going to do insist that our members compose their responses under the light of a lava lamp while burning insence with zither music in the background??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #14  
<font color="red">What are we going to do insist that our members compose their responses under the light of a lava lamp while burning insence with zither music in the background???

</font>

You mean the others don't??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #15  
A lot of good replies here, valid points in most of them.

I'm fairly new around here. I tend to have a very ironic, sarcastic sense of humor. Which my friends love, but often does not come out well in written words to folks who don't really know me........ Others of my ilk have some difficulty enjoying a new new discussion forum, as we either look like hot-headed meanies or self-concious stamering fools that guard everything we type.... Hard to be ourselves. My best form of communication is taken away from me....

I will say, a few messages here point out one more issue. The "old, hard-core, in crowd" vs the "newbies who don't know anything."

It is very intimidating to type on a new forum. While many of you seem to be old hands at this place, you probably don't see how defensive some of the other old hands become, or how self-important they can feel. Yea, some of the newcomes are rude, but some of the old-timers are condesending. It takes 2 to have an argument.

This whole issue isn't a problem to me 'here' - I've been to boards where I went screaming away in terror when the 'regulars' get so paranoid & defensive of _anyone_ intruding upon their turf, they require all kinds of warnings, moderator approvals, special formatting of replies, and so on of anyone who hasn't been on the forum for a couple of years....

Let's not get to 'there' around here either! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Be careful what you ask for - if the newbies stop coming around, the place dies.

--->Paul

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?
F350Lawman,

No where in my post did I ask for a more subdued site. As a matter of fact I stated how much I enjoy a good debate. I was simply wondering if others saw a trend.

My reason for asking the question is this--if a particular thread gets ugly, we may never see the conclusion to what may have been a relevent question/issue to begin with. I've seen more that one thread where more info/answers were needed but the thread had to be closed/removed due to the direction of the posts.

Should people choose their words carefully? Absolutely. Not because they are worried about hurting someone's feelings, but because communication in this type of setting is limited to what you type as I can't see or hear you. I want to see more debates, not less. When things get ugly threads get deleted.

Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #17  
Maybee the Lawman was not referring singularly to your post but to the strand in general. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I notice some have taken the tact of speaking AT you, not to you, in euphimisms. Then explain them to you so in case their veiled witisims went over every ones head. Read a few of the responses you have received and it should be a fair and complete answer to your origional question. I have one final thought and that is if we all agreed on every point, had no contrasting views or differences of opinion what would be the need for any forum ? I find it unfortunate that any site has members that feel they rule and out siders are clearly not welcome. IE: Its the new Guys, too Many Posts to fast, compaints, pet peeves, etc etc. Surely such stances must contribute to the over all tone and eventual digression that you are referring to. Dave

Dave (DocsKnotInn)

Where in my response to F350 do you see any issues?

He mentioned a more subdued site--I wanted to point out that I am in agreement with him that we want more debates, not less.

I also went on to explain why I started this thread.

My last statement was relevent to all communication on the web.

I took no personal shots at F350 and from reading some of his posts, I get the impression we have a lot in common.

Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #19  
I did not say that you took any pot shots at him nor do I think I said you had any "issues". I am saying that he may well have been referring to comments from others as much as the crux of the strand. I too would hope we have a lot in common...Tractors /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for the lawman I am pretty sure he's the son of a gun that gave me that speeding ticket last time I was in NY. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Dave

Fair enough Dave--thanks for the clarification.

I had read the posts following mine and my follow up post was directed at F350 so that he (and others) would know my reasoning for the original post. I guess I just wanted to make it clear that I was not suggesting more control (ie censorship) is needed or that any one person is not welcome.

Bob