A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #21  
Over the years, I've noticed that two things usually result in a less kind, less gentle thread.

1. When there's a difference of opinion, people think that just one more post will convince and/or explain their position. It rarely does. Usually, it results in exchanges with posts that start with "That's not what I said..." or "You said...".

2. People who imagine an insult and have to respond instead of just letting it rest, even if there was an insult.

Add to these 2 issues;

3. The new people coming from other really less gentle web sites who do not take the time to read TBN first to learn the TBN culture and therefore come in with 'keyboards blazing' and 'shields raised'. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. While newbies can be guilty of this, so can veterans. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The advice I try to follow is, If I feel like posting a 'nastygram', I wait for a while and the urge to flame usually goes away and I don't give in to temptation. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #22  
Bob, in re-reading I do see where some might get the idea that you may have been hinting at that. After speaking to him many times I think he was both being humorous and saying that he is not in favor of tighter Censorship. Mike Pa, Considering the views of many of the members here includeing some expressed on this strand I find it only fair to say it would be difficult as a new comer not to have your defense shields up. Dave

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #23  
<font color="blue"> The advice I try to follow is, If I feel like posting a 'nastygram', I wait for a while and the urge to flame usually goes away and I don't give in to temptation. </font>
That is good advise Mike. I know some times if I get up set at something that someone said, I just don't read that thread for a while. After I let it rest for a while, I usually go back and catch up. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #24  
I follow the same advice, sometimes, when I'm thinking about about a sarcastic response. Often by the time I'm finished writing one, I stop, look at it, and decide probably no one is really interested to read this. If it's not contributing, I don't send it. Sometimes...

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #25  
I'll do the same thing, once in a while... type a response, edit the heck out of it, re-read it a few times, fine tune it to perfection... then hit the little X button in the upper right corner to close the window and go to bed! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #26  
I understand what you were saying. I also like the spirited debates. This site would be pretty boring and not too informative if the threads were all comprised by a bunch of "yes"men and women.

I tend to be a little sarcastic and can get heated up on occasion but on the other hand I am also pretty thick skinned. Gotta be able to take it if you dish it out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Believe it or not in my field of employment I've been called some unkind words /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif in the past.

Thanks DocsKnotInn

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site?
F350,

I've done a few ride alongs. While we all come across a certain amount of unpleasant people in our day to day life, you guys (and gals) get more than your fair share.

You sarcastic? I couldn't tell /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bob

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #28  
I know I cursed your name there lawman after that last ticket that was just the final straw !!!! LOL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I wont even hold the fact that your a Glock fan against you ! lol. I would also be remiss in saying there are more than a fair share of REALLY pleasant friendly people here. Many have sent private welcome messages. Even those who ardently opposed my views on some topics were very receptive to settling and discussing our differences in private. I do find overall that this is a great place. I have never received so many welcomes on another site. I also want to thank the person who invented the EDIT button /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dave

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #29  
I know I cursed your name there lawman after that last ticket that was just the final straw !!!! LOL

I know what you mean, my town is deadly the last week of the month. All my buddies break my chops about it. like I am the coplaint department for ALL jurisdictions /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I agree this site is very helpful and I think I may have seen an easing of the moderation, which I also like.

/ A Less Kind Less Gentle Site? #30  
The moderation is the same as it has always been.